A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

What is Art?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What is Art?

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:58 am

Absolutely, Art!
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby rhknigh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:24 pm

rhknigh wrote:Free Art Course online, Unit 1, starting at 1.2 addresses this question on this page: http://www.saylor.org/site/syllabus.php?cid=238

This thread reminds me I need to find time to resume my studies. :lol:

Since that post I did an article addressing this question to some extent - What Is Art? An Approach to This Subjective Question
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby VicG » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:44 pm

I like Ayn Rand's definition of art as "a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value-judgments."
This definition covers the visual arts, literature, music and the performing arts. Although I don't subscribe to her complete esthetic philosophy, I have found this the best objective definition ever to be posited by an esthetic philosopher.

What are "metaphysical value judgements"?

Consider two statutes of a man: one as a Greek god, the other as a deformed medieval monstrosity. Both are metaphysical estimates of man.

An attribute of any work of art is that it transcends its subject. It takes on a reality and life of its own. This is the difference between art and illustration. This is why we can appreciate both ancient Greek sculpture and medieval gargoyles as art.
Vist my painting blog athttp://oldmasterspainting.comfor more in depth articles
VicG

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Thank You! Great definition.
ehoeveler

What is Art?

Postby denalester9 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:06 am

Art is a perfect way to express your feelings,concerns and emotions within your paintings. Arts includes various forms to express your talent in a different manner towards your viewer. :)
denalester9

What is Art?

Postby denalester » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:41 am

Art is the creative expression of human activities in visual forms in drawing and paintings, like their emotions, feelings and imaginations. Its a self expressing language which helps an artist to show their imagination skills win paintings, drawings, sculpture etc.
denalester

Previous

Return to Art Discussion