A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Fully Racked(Reworked)

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Fully Racked(Reworked)

Postby BYart » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi All,
This is one that I've been showing in WIP. It is my second colored pencil attempt, and I have learned so much concerning this medium while doing this one.
Like-(understand these are things that apply to me)
Use toothed paper, not smooth if you aren't VERY familiar(sure of color blending techniques, etc.) with this medium.
Don't choose a subject with such a detailed background while in the learning process :roll: :roll: ...boy this one took a LONG time, and I'm not thrilled with the results, but I'm calling it done before I throw something :lol: :lol: .
I really do like this medium, but realize I have a long way to go!

Sorry, but the photo isn't the best, glare on right side, and not the clearest, but my camera is giving me headache, so this is it.

Titled- Fully Racked
11 x 14
colored pencils(Rem
andt
and with a few Kolinoor's used as well)
Blended with Splendor(colorless pencil)
Bristol Smooth paper

Sky is done in a watercolor wash...which BTW..is best done on wet applicable support :roll: :roll: ...I got real tired and didn't want to take another week on the sky.
In the future, I will try watercolor underpainting and then do the details with the colored pencils on different paper/supports. Not sure it will work, but I'm experimenting! :D

Edited- added reworked version in last post. Thanks.
Attachments
Fully Racked Final.jpg
Fully Racked Final.jpg (193.3 KiB)
Last edited by BYart on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby krysta11 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:02 pm

OMG!!!!

Barb this one is really beautiful!!! :cry: :cry: I am so amazed with your work, that tears came to my eyes. Congratulations Barb!!!!
WOW!!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
K.
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby FinePencilArt » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:20 am

Very very nice! I watched the development on WIP and the end result is great. I have experimented with colored pencil with some satisfaction but have never combined it with water color. I think I am going to have to try this. I am curious does the wax base for the colored pencil resist the water color medium and allow for a clean transition?
Jay Fine
God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy
FinePencilArt

Postby BYart » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:24 am

krysta11 wrote:OMG!!!!

Barb this one is really beautiful!!! :cry: :cry: I am so amazed with your work, that tears came to my eyes. Congratulations Barb!!!!
WOW!!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
K.

Krysta,
Your words are always so encouraging! I thank you from my heart!
YOU have been producing some VERY exceptional work, and I am always thrilled to see your work!
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:48 am

FinePencilArt wrote:Very very nice! I watched the development on WIP and the end result is great. I have experimented with colored pencil with some satisfaction but have never combined it with water color. I think I am going to have to try this. I am curious does the wax base for the colored pencil resist the water color medium and allow for a clean transition?

Hi Jay!
Welcome as I see you are fairly new! I've had a look at your gallery and am impressed with your graphite work!
I, being very new to CP's can only relate my recent small amount of experience, but to answer your question-
The CP's that I am using are considered Polychromas, Rem
andt
and. It is my understanding that they are produced a bit differently than the normal wax pigmented pencils. I had some difficulty with the transition, and actually lost a bit of the hard edge of the antlers(which I could redo, but haven't). It would have worked better to do the wash FIRST...then do the antlers, etc. OR, if I had sprayed with fixative first...THEN done the washes, would have worked better I believe, not sure as I didn't do that.
As colored pencils are fairly transparent(building layers gives the depth as you see previous layers), you will want to make sure of your underpainting colors with the washes.
I actually think that using watercolor washes as underpainting would work better with a more wax based/pigmented pencil
and like the Prismas...but I am researching that very idea before I invest in another/more
ands.
The biggest concern I had before purchasing my Rem
andts was lightfastness, as the Prisma had this issue with many of their colors...so I chose the Rem
andts instead. What CP
and do you use and what surfaces have you tried?
I will be experimenting and will let you know how it goes.
OH...THANKS so much for commenting!
Barb

BYart

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Bard, The oil pencils are working very well for you. I like all the light color in this one.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby BYart » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:09 pm

johnwalkeasy wrote:Bard, The oil pencils are working very well for you. I like all the light color in this one.

Thanks John!
Barb

BYart

Good Morning!

Postby Michael Ortega » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 am

nice job!
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

Postby xxbreezy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 am

Just outstanding Barb!!!
xxbreezy

Re: Good Morning!

Postby BYart » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:57 am

Michael Ortega wrote:nice job!

Thanks Michael!
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:57 am

xx
eezy wrote:
Just outstanding Barb!!!

Thanks so much Linda!
Barb

BYart

Postby oilpainter2247 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:42 am

hello barb ,,,,,,this is very nice that is for sure ,,,,your are doing some very nice work ,,i have too go around and see what else you have did

one thing i would like too add ,,, just looking at this i would think that if the forground rocks where a bit darker it would push that mountain much more back

when looking at this i find that the values are a bit the same from the mountain and the rocks in the forground

as i always say ,,,,,,,this is just the way i look at it ,,,,,,,,others might think i am a bit nuts .lol

but in all i do like this one very much ,,,,,,,and find you have put your heart in this work

great job .mike
oilpainter2247

Postby william » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:27 am

Nice color drawing, I especially like the texture and shadowing on the deer. I think the background's soft look helps give a sense of depth to the piece.
I think you could push the darks a little more and build them up, but it takes layers and layers of color. Judging by your intro to the drawing, I'd let it rest and look at it in a few days, after doing something else and see if you want to edit.
william

Postby BYart » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:46 pm

oilpainter2247 wrote:hello barb ,,,,,,this is very nice that is for sure ,,,,your are doing some very nice work ,,i have too go around and see what else you have did

one thing i would like too add ,,, just looking at this i would think that if the forground rocks where a bit darker it would push that mountain much more back

when looking at this i find that the values are a bit the same from the mountain and the rocks in the forground

as i always say ,,,,,,,this is just the way i look at it ,,,,,,,,others might think i am a bit nuts .lol

but in all i do like this one very much ,,,,,,,and find you have put your heart in this work

great job .mike

Mike,
i'm so happy to see you post! Missed you!
Your opinion is one i value highly, and i thank you for the advice. :D i have tried since to push values a bit more in foreground, pic. to follow. Thanks again! and do NOT be a stranger!
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:55 pm

william wrote:Nice color drawing, I especially like the texture and shadowing on the deer. I think the background's soft look helps give a sense of depth to the piece.
I think you could push the darks a little more and build them up, but it takes layers and layers of color. Judging by your intro to the drawing, I'd let it rest and look at it in a few days, after doing something else and see if you want to edit.

William,
I'm sorry it has taken me so very long to respond...my life is changing quickly right now! :D
I appreciate your advice and have realized that very issue. i have many, many layers already, on a surface that(Bristol Smooth) even after multiple sprays of fixative, will just not take any more than what i have just now accomplished. Picture to follow, values are a bit better, i think, but still not where I think they should be. Lesson learned as this was my second attempt at Colored Pencils,...use a toothier surface. :roll:
Thanks so much for commenting, much appreciated!
Attachments
fully racked final reworksmall1.jpg
fully racked final reworksmall1.jpg (195.72 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby oilpainter2247 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:03 am

barb clap clap clap :wink: ,,,,,,,, by pushing it some i think makes this one much better ,,very nice :D ,,, have a great day barb and always stay safe .mike
oilpainter2247

Postby BYart » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:56 pm

oilpainter2247 wrote:barb clap clap clap :wink: ,,,,,,,, by pushing it some i think makes this one much better ,,very nice :D ,,, have a great day barb and always stay safe .mike

Thanks for the relook mike! Much appreciate the vote of confidence!
Believe me, my next colored pencils will be on a much better surface, and hopefully i won't encounter these issues again...learn, learn, practice, practice :D
Barb

BYart

Postby Juliep » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:02 am

Hi Barb,

Gorgeous, I like the rework too. The colors are so serene.

Juliep
Juliep

Postby BYart » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks so much Julie!
Hopefully, soon, when my life settles down a bit, I can get back to work on my art and post something new, I'm itching to do so.
Barb

BYart

Postby kcortese » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:06 am

Barb,

I must congratulate you on this piece. The last changes you made with darkening some areas are an improvement in the overall picture.

Seems you found a medium you enjoy. I have used Prismacolor pencils in the past and the pigment offers excellent coverage. I will like to try the oil pencils, someday I'll purchase a set.

You did an excellent job on this piece!
kcortese

Next

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury