A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Bipolar affective disorder and art/creativity

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Bipolar affective disorder and art/creativity

Postby nigelartist » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:44 pm

Any views on the way, if any, bipolar affective disorder has an affect on creativity?

Also, anyone else here bipolar?

I am.
nigelartist
 

Postby beakerless » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:56 pm

Am not bi-poloar but have PTSD and major depressive disorder. Art and poetry have saved my life.

Having a voice for those things we cannot speak in the accepted language is critical in our lives.

Your work is wonderful Nigel. I am new here and have not commented a great deal yet but wanted you to know how much I appreciate your art.
beakerless
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Gallery: View Gallery

Well worth reading

Postby pehiatt » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:17 pm

‘there is a considerably higher incidence in bipolar disorder among artists than among the general population” Nicole Megatulski, Creativity and Bipolar Disorder

[url]http://serendip.
ynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1768[/url]
User avatar
pehiatt
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Frederick Maryland
Gallery: View Gallery

Postby nigelartist » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:45 am

beakerless wrote:Am not bi-poloar but have PTSD and major depressive disorder. Art and poetry have saved my life.

Having a voice for those things we cannot speak in the accepted language is critical in our lives.

Your work is wonderful Nigel. I am new here and have not commented a great deal yet but wanted you to know how much I appreciate your art.


Well great for speaking up. I pray your trauma was not that great...us humans can suffer enough. Art and poetry have saved my life. I have had Bipolar for 20 years now. My father committed suicide last year after losing the battle to depression. He jumped under a train. How am I ever going to put that behind me.

Your last sentence is
illiantly and beautifully put.

Thanks for your nice comments about my work.

It has been suggested we have a forum on here for people depression etc related to art of course. Would you be willing to participate? I've found people can learn from others experiences and sometimes it is good to offload one's own baggage.

Great to meet you.
nigelartist
 

Postby beakerless » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Nigel the PTSD makes me a bit standoffish and I find the only people I am able to really open up to about it are other military veterans. Thank you for the offer however.
beakerless
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Gallery: View Gallery

Postby nigelartist » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:04 pm

beakerless wrote:Nigel the PTSD makes me a bit standoffish and I find the only people I am able to really open up to about it are other military veterans. Thank you for the offer however.


Can I guess you were at Nam?

Tell me to mind my own business.
nigelartist
 

Postby beakerless » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:39 pm

No I was a Woman Marine Post Vietnam. My older
other however was US Army and murdered in Vietnam by one of the other Soldiers in his platoon.

We dear Nigel are like onions, with many layers. More tears come as each layer is peeled away.
beakerless
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Gallery: View Gallery

Postby nigelartist » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:04 pm

beakerless wrote:No I was a Woman Marine Post Vietnam. My older
other however was US Army and murdered in Vietnam by one of the other Soldiers in his platoon.

We dear Nigel are like onions, with many layers. More tears come as each layer is peeled away.


I'm really, really sorry.

I have no answers..I wish I had.

I get mad at God and ask...silence is the reply.
nigelartist
 

memory

Postby vertigoclimb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:57 am

I'm not bipolar but, I have trouble with memory. I'm not sure why and don't really care because it's great for creativity and originality. When you forget how it is/was supposed to be you really need to find a new way to do it. This is an interesting thread. Thanks!
User avatar
vertigoclimb
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:40 pm
Gallery: View Gallery


  • Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Return to Art Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron