A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Need your input please!

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Need your input please!

Postby BYart » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm currently working on this pastel painting, titled "Sunset at the Canyon Corral".
It is 16 x 20 on pastel paper.

I started this with the intent to focus on the horse. Well, what can I say...I started the BG and went "nuts" :lol: .

Obviously, this isn't finished, still need to develope midground above horse's neck, and of course, develope the horse, corral fence, etc.

So here are my questions...
Should I develope foliage around what was supposed to be a dead tree in the foreground? Or should I leave as is.
I realize the now "dead" tree is distracting, and I wish I could remove it, but it's too late for that.

Second...should I just trash this whole piece and start over? Or do you see any hope for this one? :?

I know compositionally, I have failed. :(
I can see my stream leads the eye right off the painting, so how can I direct the viewer's eye back to the horse(which is SUPPOSED to be the focus). Do you think that adding foliage to the foreground tree would accomplish that?

As usual, my photography skills are quite lacking, this piece is showing a bit blurry...sorry. :( I've included two photos of the piece in different lighting, trying to show a more accurate photo of the original...sigh...
Attachments
Sunset at the Canyon Corral WIP1.jpg
Sunset at the Canyon Corral WIP1.jpg (180.29 KiB)
WIP photo2.jpg
WIP photo2.jpg (181.78 KiB)
Last edited by BYart on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby kcortese » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi Barb,

I have some suggestions, I love the background, please don't mess with it anymore.

The stream, bend it tightly around the stones on the left hand side instead of having it come through between the horses head and neck.

Put grass and stones where the stream was.

Where is your light coming from?

It looks like you started a fence post, maybe put it in front of the tree. The tree can have some leaves on it in focus over top of the head of the horse.

There is a blurred space in between the
anches where the leaves can go because it's too late to work on the background there, so
ing it forward with the leaves. Shadow and light is important here, what leaves are under in shadow and which are on top to catch the light?

Create shadow and light where the leaves would cast the shadow on the horse.

Don't scrap it, I think you can create a great piece of artwork from this base. After all, you just started it and there are always many changes from start to finish.

Hope my suggestions help. But it's up to you, it's your baby.

Later,

Karen
kcortese

Postby BYart » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:21 pm

kcortese wrote:Hi Barb,

I have some suggestions, I love the background, please don't mess with it anymore.

The stream, bend it tightly around the stones on the left hand side instead of having it come through between the horses head and neck.

Put grass and stones where the stream was.

Where is your light coming from?

It looks like you started a fence post, maybe put it in front of the tree. The tree can have some leaves on it in focus over top of the head of the horse.

There is a blurred space in between the
anches where the leaves can go because it's too late to work on the background there, so
ing it forward with the leaves. Shadow and light is important here, what leaves are under in shadow and which are on top to catch the light?

Create shadow and light where the leaves would cast the shadow on the horse.

Don't scrap it, I think you can create a great piece of artwork from this base. After all, you just started it and there are always many changes from start to finish.

Hope my suggestions help. But it's up to you, it's your baby.

Later,

Karen

Thanks for responding karen.
I'm not sure I understand why moving the stream's downward direction will keep the viewer's eye from leaving the painting at the top?
I don't want to change the streams direction at this point as i will lose all the detail i have accomplished at the bottom(which I know isn't showing well in these images, but trust me, the detail is very evident in the original) :?
LOL...I'm not doing anymore to the BG, as I stated in my post, I'm developing the midground.
My lighting is coming from top left corner, as the sun is setting behind the MTs. there.
I understand about lighting on the foliage, I know how important that is, but my question was concerning adding the foliage or not? As I think framing the horse with a few well focused leaves will accomplish my goal of redirecting the eye.
I think I'll go with my instincts that tell me to add some well focused leaves(as you had also said), to
ing the eye back down to horse.
Understood about shadows on the horse, will do!
I do like your suggestion about the corral fence being in front of the tree, will consider changing that!
Here's a slightly(I think) better pic.
Attachments
WIP3+sm.jpg
WIP3+sm.jpg (181.61 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby kcortese » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Your stream does look nice with the direction it's flowing I was just giving you a suggestion away from the horses neck.

If the sun is coming in from the top left, then there should not be dark in the left side of the
anches except where the horse would be blocking the light. The dark side should the on the right or the front slightly right facing the viewer.

Hold a pencil from your light source and it will show the direction of light rays.

The background was blurred enough that it wasn't taking away from your main subject. I like what you did with the pasture.

Just have fun with it.
kcortese

Postby BYart » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks again Karen!
But...I honestly wasn't looking for a lighting lesson(did you read my OP?) :lol: , I know how the lighting will need to be done..I'm not at that point yet. Thanks but ...never mind...I have figured out the answers to my own questions :lol: :lol:
I don't see the stream's direction or placement as an issue, but I appreciate your suggestions.
I'm going to finish this one up tonight.
AND don't misunderstand me please, I SO appreciate you taking the time to give your input, it just didn't answer my questions/concerns is all. THANKS anyway!
Barb

BYart

Postby oilpainter2247 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 pm

barb barb barb I know compositionally, I have failed. no no no i say

i think this one will be a winner ,,and as for the tree in the forground maybe a leaf or too later when you get there .have a wonderful day now .and will be looking for this one when you get done .mike
oilpainter2247

Postby BYart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks Mike, and please NEVER feel like i will get mad at anyone for suggestions!

I appreciated your trying to help with the photoshopping, but I don't see that post now?
Anyway, this one is headed for the trash bin as i have unintentionally torn the paper by overworking it :cry:
I will redo it when my order arrives, should be tomorrow, with a better surface to work on. Pastel paper and me just don't get along well :lol:
Here is the last pic, still not in focus, of it that i shot before i tore the paper.
Attachments
WIP.jpg
WIP.jpg (169.79 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby oilpainter2247 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:59 pm

ooooooooooooooooooo barb so you seen the post i deleted ,,,,,,,,,,mike is running fast :shock:

it was not a bad one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but when reading your post again and you where happy with the stream there ,,,,,,,,,,i just said well lets just see how it looks later ,,,its not done anyways right

well you have a great day ,,,,,and hope to see you repost when you get what you are waiting for :)
oilpainter2247

Postby BYart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Mike...I don't bite :lol: :lol: .
Yes, i did see it, just didn't have the time to respond right then is all, no worries friend! i always appreciate your input!
It's OK Mike, I will redo this one when my pastelboards arrive. :D :wink:
Barb

BYart

Postby weirdpuckett » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:30 pm

I don't follow that many rules when I do art . . .So at times my urge is to tell folks to put a hat on your subject -even if it is a horse . . .a birthday hat that says "Darn it Wilbur, what'd you get me this year?"..See . . .I'm not much help . . . .
weirdpuckett

Postby Juliep » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:36 am

Hi Barb,

Beautiful bg. I like it's softness and atmosphere. I do see the stream as a little distracting as it comes toward the horse face. Not sure if fading it or
ing it's tonal values down will help make it not look to intercepting...

I see your other horses you do are bold in color and am wondering if your going to do the same thing with this beauty? If so I believe the bg will work.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Juliep
Juliep

hi barb... i beleive this one will be your beautifully soft

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:55 am

hi barb.. :) . How r u? It s about a month since my last post reply at this forum.I ve some works to do so i dont follow this forum.But still miss this forum and miss all your works too.. I m happy when i check this WIP and i found your new work here. this is the new media soft pastel.and different than you usually use before.. from my viewing eyes this is a beautiful work and color.also the horse. and the background.. my suggestion is to make your horse here to be a focus is to delete or make as background the
anches in front of the horse. and it will make a big difference in focus.. good luck barb... :)
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:01 am

hi barb.. :) . How r u? It s about a month since my last post reply at this forum.I ve some works to do so i dont follow this forum.But still miss this forum and miss all your works too.. I m happy when i check this WIP and i found your new work here. this is the new media soft pastel.and different than you usually use before.. from my viewing eyes this is a beautiful work and color.also the horse. and the background.. my suggestion is to make your horse here to be a focus is to delete or make as background the
anches in front of the horse. and it will make a big difference in focus.. good luck barb... :)
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby BYart » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks all!
But, as I had mentioned in my previous post, I accidently tore the paper while tring to improve on the composition :( :oops: , so this one is toast!
I will try again at a later date, so much happening right now to be able to focus on my art!
Barb

BYart

Return to Works In Progress