A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

The Resurrection

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

The Resurrection

Postby St.Luke » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello. It's been several months since my last visit to ASC.
I have decided to have another go at starting a painting and hopefully finishing it this time.
The problem with starting a painting, then let a huge gap develop between painting sessions, is that the original motivation has changed. It can get too hard to restart again.
I am hoping to start this one and stick with it until it gets finished. I am determined to not let too many days go by between work sessions.

The art piece:
In Australia, there is an annual art award based on a Christian theme. This year's theme is The Resurrection.
I was instantly intrigued by the theme, because nobody (as far as I know) has actually painted the act of the resurrection (restoration of life).
So my chosen composition is a snapshot scene halfway through the resurrection of Jesus's body.

So far I have done the preliminary sketches, and yesterday I finished the framework.
The framework has a 3D element to it, and it has taken me several weeks to plan and construct.
Over the next few days I'll be preparing its surface for painting.

In the meantime, this is what I have done so far:
After much contemplation, and many sketches, I have decided upon this composition.
Light comes from the hand of God, restoring life into the body of Christ.
At the very front edge of the light is a wavefront representing the resetting/restoring the default body of Christ (before the Passion and Crucifixion).

The light-dark tones will be something of this nature.

more to follow shortly...
St.Luke

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The Resurrection

Postby St.Luke » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Part of the 3D element is the hand of God. I wanted a cast of a hand, but I was limited to available resources and funds.
I ended up using Plaster of Paris for the mold of my hand. There is only so much hand that can be immersed before it gets impossible to pull the hand out of the mold.
I used an ice-cream container to hold the plaster. Four molds and casts were made.
The cast was made from polyester resin. The first three casts cracked. The last one set in a strange way due to the type of release agent I used for it. The oil mixed with the resin and it had side effects to the surface of the hand. I was about to reject it until I noticed a ripple effect at the knuckles. It was a surprise effect that suited the artwork (like it was a divine intervention of sorts).

During the casting, I set two nuts into the mold for mounting. The hand on the right was the one chosen. The first two were so badly cracked, they fell to pieces.
St.Luke

Postby St.Luke » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Here is portal for the hand. It is made from many layers of Masonite sheeting, each layer overlaps the other.

The wavefront is also a 3D element. It is made from several layers of Masonite. Many strips were marked out and cut with a jigsaw.
This photo shows the marking out of the wavefront with a home-made compass. Two slats adjusted by a clamp, one slat has a nail, the other a Biro pen.
Due to my chosen arc dimensions, I could only mark out each ring for a particular layer. Then move up the sheet and do the same for the next layer.
Three 8'x4' sheets were needed. Much left-over Masonite came from this exercise (but not wasted).
St.Luke

Postby St.Luke » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:52 pm

In these photos you can see how these arc strips have been glued together, one layer, and strip, at a time. I had to use many weighty items to keep the strips in positive contact.
The base for the wavefront is a sheet of plywood that is mounted onto the picture framework.
Photo on right shows the layers for the wave profile. Much sanding was done to smooth out the edges.

A better idea of what the portal for the hand looks like.

Here is the whole picture framework. The wavefront has not yet been sanded.

St.Luke

Postby St.Luke » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Okay, this is where I am right now. The wavefront has been sanded (never again, it took several days).
It now has two coats of acrylic primer. In a minute I will use a heavy Gesso Primer over the whole lot.
I want to fine sand and re-coat the wavefront to smooth it out.
I plan to use glazing for the lit area, while the rest will be impasto.

St.Luke

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:40 am

Top notch stuff. A very interesting idea and quality craftsmanship as well as simply a lot of work. I hope the best for you in the contest.
CarlOwen

Postby St.Luke » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:47 am

Thank you CarlOwen.
I am happy with it so far, considering I hardly do any creative stuff.
My main concern is actually doing the painting. It's been years since I done my last artwork, and a decade of so before that.
Yes, I am fearful of ruining what I've done so far.
Mentally I am at a place I've never been before. I only got a rough idea of what I want and nothing more.
It feels very uncertain yet I hate it when I am too certain because then there are no surprises and the task of painting becomes a chore.
Sorry to sound wishy-washy. I am sure things will sort themselves out as I start applying some paint.
St.Luke

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:02 am

Since it is morning in New Mexico, I will say good morning Peter.

Thanks for telling me more. I just love talking with an artist who is on the cusp of a transition. Combining a painting and a wall sculpture, which by the way could stand on it's own without doing anything more, is very creative. I checked your site, and you know you have the skill to do the painting. But I sense some doubt about size and placement of the figures in you. So, without your permission, I will share an idea or two with you.

Take a black thread and using tape on the back to hold the thread in place, run the thread down the center of the piece up and down and across to quarter it. Make a sheet of paper exactly the same proportion as the current sculpture. Example, if the sculpture is 48 inches by 48 inches, the paper needs to be 24 inches by 24 inches. Draw your lines up and down and across cutting the paper into the same quarters. Do the drawing on the paper to get the feel of your proportions and figure location. Once you are satisfied, do the same on the sculpture surface.

I am not about to tell an accomplished artist how to paint. Just thought I could help you with a mapping method to get you started again. Hope I have been of help.
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:04 am

Hey Peter, good to see you. It's been a while. I love what you have going here.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby St.Luke » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:01 pm

CarlOwen wrote:... I sense some doubt about size and placement of the figures in you. So, without your permission, I will share an idea or two with you.

Take a black thread and using tape on the back to hold the thread in place, run the thread down the center of the piece up and down and across to quarter it. Make a sheet of paper exactly the same proportion as the current sculpture. Example, if the sculpture is 48 inches by 48 inches, the paper needs to be 24 inches by 24 inches. Draw your lines up and down and across cutting the paper into the same quarters. Do the drawing on the paper to get the feel of your proportions and figure location. Once you are satisfied, do the same on the sculpture surface.

I am not about to tell an accomplished artist how to paint. Just thought I could help you with a mapping method to get you started again. Hope I have been of help.

Thank you CarlOwen.
Yes you are right, I have forgotten all about that. I was going to draw straight onto the board. My last finished painting was first done on gridded paper too. (below)
I done my drawing on a proportional outline of the board, and then I drew grid lines over it. Then transferred the the drawing and gridlines onto the panel board.
Had that gridded sketch taped onto the ease.

Thanks CarlOwen for reminding me. I will start doing that today.

The other thing too is that the above photo shows how I normally paint, one section at a time. I am not used to gradually building up a picture.
But I feel I might do a better painting if I did. But I don't want to start a totally new approach on this painting.
Maybe I'll try to do build it up as well as doing a section at a time. Especially in places were I'll, more than likely, get carried away with.

In meantime, the tannin of the Masonite bled into the white acrylic primer, especially at the portal section because I used a different brand of Masonite for it.
I waited 1/2 hour drying time between the first and second coats of primer. Then I waited 20 hours before putting on a heavy coat of Gesso primer, but it still bled through.
My thinking is that maybe I did not let the paint properly dry. So I will leave it for a few days, and then try again. What do you think?
St.Luke

Postby St.Luke » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:07 pm

Singular wrote:Hey Peter, good to see you. It's been a while. I love what you have going here.

Thanks Singular. Yes, it has been a while.
I hope to have some stability in my life while doing this painting.
I was thinking last night that I might practice what many religious artists do. They pray before and during painting - to keep letting go of self.
St.Luke

Postby St.Luke » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:46 pm

CarlOwen wrote:... Combining a painting and a wall sculpture, which by the way could stand on it's own without doing anything more, is very creative.

Thank you again CarlOwen.
The above portion of your quote took a while for it to sink in.
That has released so much anxiety about moving forward.
Because of this quote I can see how, if all else fails, I can just paint the whole thing white and leave it at that.
St.Luke

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:25 pm

You are welcome.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Welcome Back, Peter. Very excited about 'Resurrection'! E
ehoeveler

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Oh my goodness Peter, your work is coming along wonderfully, and I absolutely love it.... but please, please be careful... I do special effects and work with life castings etc... I do not advise putting any self reacting / curable gypsums directly on the skin for the purpose of casting a mold. Strongly recommend finding Alginate or Silicone for those purposes. Don't scare me fella!!
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Postby St.Luke » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:33 pm

jenn_iam wrote:Oh my goodness Peter, your work is coming along wonderfully, and I absolutely love it.... but please, please be careful... I do special effects and work with life castings etc... I do not advise putting any self reacting / curable gypsums directly on the skin for the purpose of casting a mold. Strongly recommend finding Alginate or Silicone for those purposes. Don't scare me fella!!

Hello jenn_iam.
Thanks about the warnings, but was already aware of them. There are some horror stories about that on the Internet. However, I am limited by funds and resources.

Alginate or Silicone of the type you mention are flexible after setting fairly quickly, but these items would cost me over $60 per 1 litre cast. That means a month's budget.
I wasted $30 on what they call here Dental Plaster. I thought it would set like rubber, but It set harder than Plaster of Paris! To break that plaster from the casting I had to use a cold chisel and hammer.
The reason they called it Dental Plaster was there claim for a much finer product for detail castings (not for its flexibility).

I tried these mediums first on other things to monitor heat, setting time and if they did set as rubber. The idea of imprisoning my hand passed the point of release, to something that sets quickly, and heating up from the center out, is asking to have ones hand literally cooked and baked.

I always used a release agent on my hand, like Vaseline / petroleum gel. The casts took 30-45 minutes to set, and temperature never got above warm.
St.Luke

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:18 pm

yes, I am familiar with Dental Plaster too...we do mouth casts with them from the Alginate impression..
I am relieved you know the horror stories, and potentials...
Hmmm..Alginate is relatively cheap here in the states and moreso than the cost of Silicone for sure... (silicone definitely a more expensive material)... there should be a some kind of affordable option that is safer than placing plaster directly on the skin, for you there... Hmmm...
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Return to Works In Progress