A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

GUESS PLEASE...IS IT A PAINTING? A PHOTO? A DIGITAL? And why

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

GUESS PLEASE...IS IT A PAINTING? A PHOTO? A DIGITAL? And why

Postby nonarom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm

GUESS PLEASE...IS IT A PAINTING? A PHOTO? A DIGITAL? And why?
I thought this image (INDOOR PLANT) would be an occasion to exchange some opinions about different styles in art and how it can be seen through the eyes of different artists (please see the larger details in the gallery).
All the comments are very welcome.
Thank you,
Nona
Attachments
PLANT.jpg
PLANT.jpg (181.92 KiB)
nonarom

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby william » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:07 pm

To me, it looks like a digitally enhanced photograph. The flowerpot and framed photo to the left look like they've been too carefully simplified and smudged.....Colors and tones appear to be computer generated also. At least that's my point of view.............
william

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Well, Everything we look at on a computor screen is digital. Having said that. I tend to agree with the above statement.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Interesting post. Firstly let me tell you it's a very nice work. At first glance it looks realistic, like a photo. With careful observation I would say it's entirely digital. Some things are not right, the framed painting seems to be floating in the air, it's not on the wall. The window (?) in the background is fading into the background, has no frame. The pot is definitely digital work and some of the leaves, although they appear real, are oddly shaped. Good job, I love it whatever it is. And if all this was intentional, it's a bonus in my eyes.
Erika Takacs

Postby oilpainter2247 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:41 pm

hmmmmmmmm ok i am going to try this ,,,,,,,,by looking at the top right hand side of this i feel that this is a water color painting .mike :wink:

why do i feel this way , well first i have to no what the prize is then i will tell you :D

i am kidding ,,,,,,,,,,,,,to me water color is very soft to look at ,,,and that is why i say it is a water color painting.soft and wonderful .

mike
Last edited by oilpainter2247 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oilpainter2247

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:44 pm

Really, Mike? I'm really curious now. Nona hope you'll tell us after you hear all the opinions.
Erika Takacs

Postby oilpainter2247 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Erika i dont no ,,,,,,,,,,,i no he likes to do DIGITAL work

but but but .it just looks water color to me ...................maybe i am just going nuts again :lol: mike
oilpainter2247

Postby DLKeur » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Well, without adjusting my rez to see it at more than 2 inches wide, to my eye, it looks like a photoshopped photograph, additions supered in layers, the entire finished using one of the standard spotlights, the framed, distorted picture in the upper left quadrant trying to trick the viewer into thinking its a 3D rendering.

Personally, if we're going to play "test the viewer," though, I think it would be more fun to do it with some really good art. Kind of a "is this oil on canvas or digital oil" or "is this digital watercolor or real watercolor."
DLKeur

Postby william » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:01 am

That would be an interesting test of the eyes DLK.

As for the flower pot pic, another thing that stands out is the shadow in the upper left and lower right corners of the pic. Just does not look like a painted section. It looks like a lighting effect that a camera would capture.

Also, even the most real paintings have a certain look and feel that a digital enhanced image, no matter how good it is, seems to miss. This one looks very "geometric" all the way around.

It's like comparing a diamond to diamonique, both look nice, but there's something about the way a real diamond shines...

ok I'll stop jabbering now.....
william

Postby krysta11 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Common nonarom,
I want to know, I want to know, I want to know who is right. Myself? I would never guess.
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby nonarom » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 am

Many, many thanks to all people who made comments to my post. As most of you realized, it is a digitally enhanced photograph (you can find the photo in my gallery) and it's not a very good one (I would't call it artwork), just an exercise.
Please, I hope I was not missunderstood; my intention was NOT to "trick or test the viewer", but to LEARN something from you, to know how to evaluate myself. I have a question which keeps torturing me since I've started to draw: is a digital better if it is closer to a real painting?
Should I strive to make my digitals to look closer to a painting?
And I'm realizing now that it is not sufficient; it should be closer to a GOOD painting, or a GOOD...artwork. No matter what media you use, the final result counts.
(what means GOOD...that could be another useful and profitable topic, if somebody would open it).
Thank you very much again,
Cordially,
Nona
nonarom

Postby william » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:05 am

Glad to be a part of it nona. The quest for what is "good" is a good oppinion to poll......
william

Postby oilpainter2247 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:12 pm

ok i am right again :lol: mike
oilpainter2247

Postby BAReam » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Nonarom; Sorry I didn;t really comment on this piece. But as I thought, it turned out it was a manipulated photo. I know squadoosh {little to nothing} about photoshop etc. so obviously not qualified to make a judgemnet. Frankly, I liked the piece.

As for opening the topic of "what constitutes GOOD art" ; dare I? :shock:

Sure I do :o

Be well... Bruce
BAReam