A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

An Artist

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

An Artist

Postby johnwalkeasy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:43 pm

A person said to me that they could not find inspiration. Did not know what to paint or sculpt. Did not know what would sell or be acepted in an art show. He did not understand my comment to that. What I said was this. Art is not about Art Shows, Art is not about Galleries, Art is not about skill, Art is not about talent. Art is about Human Life and Death. And if one works within that context. And if one can move beyond the want of the good things in life. And if one can not consider skill and talent. Then one will have inspiration. And will become indeed an artist.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:55 am

John, so very true and thanks for your
experienced observation. E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:08 am

I would add, create for yourself. Look inside and
ing out what's in there. Try your best every time. Then show it to the world. A true artwork should be shared with others. Or what's the point of creating? Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:10 pm

Absolutely, without question. E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby DLKeur » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:50 am

You know, I have to applaud this post...even if I don't agree that art is about human life and death. ASIDE: (I think it is about human perceptions and values.)

Your comment about art not being about art shows, galleries, or skill is spot on, I think. Unfortunately, I'm not finding a lot of support for this position amidst a great majority of artists around the planet. Their perspective is that art is their vehicle to fame, fortune, and prestige. This, I think, is creating a very ugly problem in that it lowers the art standard even more than the NEA grantees and MoMA already have established. It makes it even more just a commercial enterprise, a tool, a mechanical popularity lever.

Art, writing, music...all the humanities except maybe poetry have become simply tools for many to attempt to gain ground, to socially ascend to media limelight.

It's a real shame. This isn't expression. It's calculated social climbing.

If this post is odd and seemingly irrational, please excuse. I've had no sleep in almost two days.
DLKeur

Postby JayRoler » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:03 am

^so true...

and the art SPIN SPIN SPIN... is just like everything else in todays world.

sure i would love to have all of my stuff hanging somewhere (besides my own home), and i love to tell ppl where some of my sold pieces hang currently.

but i do it for me and my soul... i always have.
JayRoler

Postby DLKeur » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:59 am

JayRoler wrote:...i do it for me and my soul... i always have.

Good for YOU! This is what art HAS to be to be real expression -- an expression from the soul, from the spirit -- unsullied by calculated agendas.

JayRoler wrote:sure i would love to have all of my stuff hanging somewhere (besides my own home), and i love to tell ppl where some of my sold pieces hang currently.

And now I bore you with my perspective: I have outright refused to sell paintings and sculpts to people. It's one of the reasons I don't "price" my real world art. Would-be buyers make an offer, and I either accept or refuse, which gives me the option of refusing to sell to those whom I would shudder were they to own my original work.

And I also refuse to sell all rights or even specific rights to my digital fine art for the same reason. (Illustrative work, of course, is different, but that's rarely stuff I even sign.) I will not have my work, digital or otherwise, become the property of an institution or entrepreneur, leaving me without control on exactly where and how it will be reproduced. And I have been offered some lucrative deals. However, money is nothing in comparison to self-respect and honoring one's own artistic expressions, one's creations.

Just my opinion.
DLKeur

Postby JayRoler » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:34 am

^on my custom pieces that i do for a client - i sell the copyright. it is half their ideas going into the canvas anyway. we work together... so i see it as a team effort.

this may be a naive perspective, but i click with my clients, so the sale of the copyright for a piece in question seems "fair".
JayRoler

Postby DLKeur » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:51 am

Commissioned work, yes. Commercial work, yes. Usually. ...Sometimes. :P Not always, but...again, ALWAYS if I'm just recreating their idea,
inging it up to pro levels.

I'm talking my original work in the post I believe you are responding to.
DLKeur