A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Main Challenges for New Artists

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Main Challenges for New Artists

Postby clemtai » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:51 am

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to gain some insight as to what the predominant challenges are for art students, or artists who are first starting out in terms of promoting their work and getting their name out there.

My team is considering starting a platform to aid budding artists, and would like to identify what tools and resources would be seen as the most helpful. For example: funding, art show management, social media strategies, website/online portfolio production, opportunity to connect with established artists for advise/potential buyers, or anything else you may think of not mentioned above.

We are hoping to offer these services for a minimal fee, with the ultimate goal of giving talented individuals the leg up that they need and deserve.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
Clementina
clemtai

Re: Main Challenges for New Artists

Postby rhknigh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Everything I hear in the arts communities reflects the same challenges most people have whether pursuing creativity or not - not enough time or money.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26
Gallery: View Gallery

Postby VicG » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:13 pm

The main challenge for a young aspiring artist is TIME! Time to practice their art which equates to money. I never found the solution. I took jobs and entered into careers to earn money to survive which robbed me of the time to practice my art. This is an age old dilemma for artists. I applaud you for seeking remedies to this dilemma.

I have known established artists with numerous gallery showings and major museum inclusions who still would fall on lean times and have to resort to other means of income. It is just not the new aspiring artists that are faced with these challenges.

I think that if you asked any artist what they need more than anything else in life they would answer: time to practice my art.
Vist my painting blog athttp://oldmasterspainting.comfor more in depth articles
VicG

Postby James_09 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Nice post !
James_09

Postby Cristo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:07 am

I agree with VicG. It's difficult to get enough time to make art!
Cristo

Postby davideo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 am

I read that most artists who do gain significant recognition get it after they have become 50. But that's just statistics. Clearly, before 'getting one's name out there' one should have cultivated some notable art. In spite of everything, I still believe the art has to speak for itself. I have heard schmoozing is invaluable. One should not have to 'buy' public notice or acclaim. If you're really 'good' help is bound to come.
davideo

Postby Symphoneus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:26 pm

While most are complaining about time (which is likely a valid concern), that's certainly not my problem.
I have too much time, that's how I became interested in art.

I consider myself an introductory artist. I am hardly skilled enough to consider selling any of my own work (the thought makes me giggle).

I would say my primary concern is the availability of useful information;
I have never been able to attend any form of artistic school or other such venue (various reasons, mostly personal [I'll share if your curious 8p]),
I'm unable to find any store in my area that seeks to cater toward artists (hobby stores have supplies but no books),
And all the books I receive from the library seem quite introductory (they are still worth reading however).
This has led me into feeling a sense of plateau, as I find myself constrained and unable to grow (just practice, practice, practice).
Whether it's from a hirer availability of reading material (affordable and accessible), or a chance to speak with other artist, I would suggest you place heavy consideration on these concerns. That is, if you are truly seeking to help young artist (not just the budding ones, go for the seeds too), You should consider how they might seek to better themselves.

Every artist which I personally knew, has now completely abandoned art (the only two which I still speak with, will grow frustrated when I mention the topic). It, was because they couldn't find "how to become a better artist". These were/are very creative people, but of course they were nothing when compared to "real artist".
When you look at the LEARNING CURVE, it just seems impossible when compared to available LEARNING MATERIAL.

I recently met a man (in his mid-40s) who taught me a shading technique which he'd called "removing the hard line" (using an eraser to smooth graphite, done for the purpose of shading). I knew this man for only a brief period of time (he has now left for another state), but it took moments for him to demonstrate this technique to me (lucky me XD).
He was surprised that I had no knowledge of this technique. He said he'd learned it in High School.
...I had no such opportunity.

Art Class in High School? Not in my High School!

An art class may have made the experience of graduation worth more then my GED!
It's worth noting that statistically, the hiring rate of Graduate Vs. GED are nearly the same in my [low performing] school district.

These things way on me heavily, as I seek to become a "true" artist.
Why inspire people seek art, if the end result is them hating it?
The fate of men, might weigh on me,
But I take that sin quite well,
Only cold wins, in the dark it seems,
But I hear there's warmth in hell...
(8p)
Symphoneus