A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

MY WEEK IN NEW YORK

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

MY WEEK IN NEW YORK

Postby Silvia B. » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 am

Hi everybody! I've just registered.
I've always been fond of art, in effect I work for 2 Italian art publishing houses but was looking for some international forum in order to get a sense of what people like and think about art outside my country (Italy).
Working in international sphere helped me to understand what trends people like, but what I really need is talking personally to people.
So I'd like to tell you my recent experience in New York. I've been there because invited to an important opening, had one week at my disposal so decided to take advantage of my journey as much as possible.
The first exhibition I saw was in the Nicholas Roerich Museum, extremely interesting if you're interested in his studies and travels, apart of course his striking paintings, for tose whom may be interested here's the link to the website: http://www.roerich.org/
The day after I took part in the opening I was invited to, dedicated to an important contemporary Italian artist: Antonio Nunziante. I already knew him since I curated 2 catalogues for him. As I love visionary art (Roerich is an evidence...) Nunziante was amazing for me, take a look at his website and tell me what you think! http://www.nunzianteantonio.com/
Finally I dedicated the next days to Chelsea, before leaving I read about the last works by Jeff Koons at Gagosian Gallery, have been a bit disappointed, probably because that's not the kind of art I like, nowadays galleries are full of plottings, anyway, here's the link of this last exhibit: http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/jef ... ay-11-2013
On the other hand I appreciated Anselm Kiefer, that's not exactly my style but wasn't bad: http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/ans ... ay-03-2013
This was my experience in New York, a very thrilling city for art lovers! :mrgreen:
Silvia B.

Re: MY WEEK IN NEW YORK

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Thank You, Sylvia for showing us what's going on in NYC, 'art mecca' of the US.
Roerich sets the gold standard with his mountains and while I agree with your opinions on Koon's
latest paintings I do really love his sculptures. All of these artists have been around for years and I salute their contributions.
Having gotten a look at some NY art my suspicions have been happily confirmed -
I have always thought that ASC has some really talented and uniquely styled, edgy artwork that
can stand up in any part of the world. But they are not 'known' artists and it is harder for
them to get started because unlike Koons and others, their work is not appreciable.
My sister who lives in Tribeca buys art for people and trust me, all they want are
recognized artists who have good re-sale value. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby VicG » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Silvia B. I reside within a two hour drive to N.Y.C. After years of gallery hopping, I found myself just concentrating on the Metropolitan Museum of Art whenever I am in town. I could spend a week there and still not get enough. I have been disappointed with what the elites of the art world are promoting in the gallery venues for quite some time now. A trip to the "Met" is always a refreshing experience and one that reinforces my belief that the art of painting may still have a chance to survive. I base that assertion upon the number of visitors who frequent the "Met's" galleries and my observations of their reactions to truly great art.

Unfortunately you are correct in stating "My sister who lives in Tribeca buys art for people and trust me, all they want are
recognized artists who have good re-sale value." That is the way of the art market. Most collectors never take possesion of the art they buy but warehouse it as a commodity. Long Island City, just over the bridge from Manhatten, has more warehoused art stored than all the major museums of the world.

But this is a good thing for artists. It means that there is a demand for fine art works and a pottential market for all aspiring artists.
VicG

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks, Vic - I didn't know about the warehousing thing.
ehoeveler

Postby rhknigh » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Warehousing sounds like such a dehumanizing way to approach art ownership. Just in my opinion, art is meant to be appreciated singularly not hoarded and not even given the light of day. All this said, it can be viewed as a commodity for the artist since it is a means by which they eke out a living, but for the collector it should be something more.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby VicG » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Indoubitally. Check out the movie "Legal Eagles" as a background to this world. Not that I used this movie as a resource. I have been involved in the NYC artworld for some time now.

I am new to this site and not sure if I can post a link to one of my blogs that addresses this topic. Art is a commodity bought, warehoused and sold just like any other valuable commodity. I had my youthful vision of art shattered when I sold my first two paintings from my college student art show.

Upon my delivery of the paintings to the buyers residence I was astounded by the fact that they had hundreds of paintings by other students stacked in their livingroom. Here I thought they liked my paintings enough to hang on their wall but they were just buying another "lottery ticket" hoping that one of us would hit it big and become famous and then they could cash in.

That is a microcosm of the art world. My buyers were small time speculators opperating within a limited budget. The big boys play a much more sophisticated game with big bucks at stake and with very sophisticated marketing stategies.

Too much to include in this post so prehaps I should post an article here? I am new and just checking you guys out. I don't mean to be a bummer but to contribute to this sites members.
VicG

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:41 pm

You are contributing to the site! Interesting to know about the art "numbers game".
I'd still love to see some of your work. Thank You, E
ehoeveler