A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Art that has moved you the most.

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Art that has moved you the most.

Postby RELusion76 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:53 am

Every now and then through out the years I'll come across a piece of art that really moves me. It could be a book, painting, or even a television show. One that really did move me, and had a big impact on me was when I was child.

It was the summer of 1987, and I was out on school holidays for the summer. It had become kind of a tradition during that summer that me and my dad would go out once a week garage sailing. After which we would go to the mall where my dad would shop for groceries. Across from the grocery store there was a small book shop (which is still there today). The book stop sold magazines, and also comics. So I would browse through them usually starting with the magazines so I could check out star log, and comic scene magazine.

This one day in particular I was browsing through the comics when the cover of one of them jumped out at me. It was an issue of Detective comics starring Batman. Now before this I was never really a fan of Batman. That was about to change how ever this one fateful day. The issue was drawn by a little known comic artist at the time named Todd Mcfarlane. His art work in that comic totally blew my mind. I had never seen anyone draw Batman like that before with his long gothic ears, and over sized twisting cape.

I bought the comic, and was totally captivated by it. I can't really put the feeling into words, but it was like being in love. That is as best a comparison I can come to it. As a child it totally inspired me, and catapulted my imagination. Like I said how the artwork made me feel is hard to put into words. I have never been moved by something like that before or since.

Has anyone else had a similar experience upon a piece of art?
RELusion76

Articles: 1
Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Art that has moved you the most.

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Thank You, RElusion, for your very interesting blog
and showing us your store. Quite helpful! E
ehoeveler

Postby RELusion76 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you for checking out my blog, I've been kind of lazy with it here lately. LOL
RELusion76

Articles: 1

Postby chinujhon » Fri May 03, 2013 1:11 am

I like your sharing.. I love it...
chinujhon

Postby VicG » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:28 pm

In literature it was the novels of Victor Hugo. You have to read the un-abridged versions to really appreciate his genius. I discovered him many years after college and to this day, I do not understand why his novels are ignored by academia and only worthy of cheap Broadway productions or cheaper movie adaptations.

In music it was my introduction to the compositions of Rachmaninoff. This too was an introduction that came later in my life. His piano concerto #2 is perhaps the greatest testament to overcoming adversity which I am sure many fellow artists can relate to.

The painting exhibition that changed my life and added a direction to my life as a painter was an exhibition at my college by a former graduate. I immediately felt an affinity to his work and knew that his work was showing me a direction I had not been able to consciously identify but there it was, concrete and real.

During my final semester in college I had the privilege of becoming his intern. After graduation I became his studio assistant and he became my mentor. We became best friends and the art education I received was extraordinary.

On a lighter note, in cinema the most influential movie was not an existential lament but Steven Spielberg's masterpiece "Jaws." I still don't go in the water.
Vist my painting blog athttp://oldmasterspainting.comfor more in depth articles
VicG

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Not sure if this is a blessing or a curse - I'm moved by something new every week.
Artwise, it's hard to stay focused but from an enjoyment standpoint, it's great!
ehoeveler

Postby VicG » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:23 pm

Come on ehoeveler. There must have been some pivotal point in your life that a particular song, book, poem, painting or even a sunset moved you to a level outside of the realm of the ordinary. So please relate, what was the event that moved you during the past week? Not meaning to bust chops but only trying to understand. Submitted with much respect and consideration, Vic
VicG

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:37 pm

There are so many great painters and authors but I'm a bit jaded, I suppose...
Mom was an art critic and brought home lesser celebrated artists like Lee Krasner
and Pat Lipksy. I loved them, though - the color, the bigness, etc. It seemed like rebellion
art at the time (late 60's-70's) - very cool to me. Later on, Takashi Murikami for sure and now, Chuck
Connelly and Seraphine de Senlis. In Music, my tastes are a lot more pedestrian - Handel's 'Messiah', or
anything baroque makes me think of Heaven. Really though, there is so much good stuff out there -
it boggles my mind. When are we going to see some of your own work?
ehoeveler

Postby VicG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06 am

I met Lee Krasner at a cocktail party in East Hampton many years ago. I admire her work and this was way before the movie "Pollack" was released. I have lived in the "Hamptons" for 40 years now. I never met Pollack (before my time) but I thought the movie captured the essence of the art scene out here on eastern Long Island in relation to NYC.

My own work will be released to this site in good time. My Internet library is deficient right now, I just went through a major break-up and my "ex" girlfriend of 12 years has all my recent paintings. All I have are rudimentary photos of them but I will share as soon as I can clean them up.

Pat Lipksy is a familiar name but I am not placing it at the moment. I believe I may have met her at one point but I can't be sure.

Thanks, and can I address you in the future as "E"?
VicG

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:58 am

How exciting to have met Lee Krassner! Lipsky did color field one-shot painting, just threw color on a huge canvas and if it worked, it worked. If it didn't, bye-bye went the canvas! And sure, call me 'E'!
ehoeveler

Return to Art Discussion