A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Facebook for exposure?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Facebook for exposure?

Postby Nemimo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Does anyone have experience in using facebook for getting their name out? I have an account, but I'm always paranoid about people stealing my work. Especially with the whole 'Facebook owns the rights to any picture you upload' and the fact that all it takes is for someone to hit that 'download picture' button and they can go to dA and claim it as theirs.

But aside from that, my fiance was suggesting I make a page to garner followers, but in addition to putting my work up, that I also make reviews and demonstration videos to display. I work at Blick, so I've always got plenty of reviews and products to demonstrate. Does anyone think that this might work at all, or may be a total flop?
Nemimo

Re: Facebook for exposure?

Postby Singular » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:32 am

I honestly hate Facebook, but everyone uses it. So it wouldn't hurt to use it for added exposure. Plus, you will meet a ton of other artists there. In terms of the whole "stealing image" thing. No need to worry about that. Artists have protection for their work. It really doesn't matter if someone steals your image. They can't claim it as their own.

So what do you do for Blick? Doing product reviews and videos will definitely help get you some traffic, as long as you do not appear too "salesmanlike". If you would like to post some reviews and videos here, it could lead to name exposure. Let me know if you would be interested.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Nemimo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:30 am

I am working as a sales associate. So it's my job anyways to give customers my own personal opinions and reviews on a number of products. I won't *try* to be 'salesman'-like, but if it comes out, it's not intentional. There will understandably be products that I feel everyone needs, and some products that I want people to avoid like the plague. And sure, I would love to post videos here! Maybe you guys can help me flesh out a good video before I post it for all of the facebook/world to see.
Nemimo

Postby Janet Harvey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 am

I am on face book, with some of my paintings, not had any response regards them. Would have thought get response when their are millions of people out their using face book. See what happens.
Janet Harvey

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby johnlobbs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 am

I would say that Facebook is a great platform to promote or advertise your work. Other than that you can always approach online galleries to list your paintings for sale.
johnlobbs

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Facebook is OK but be careful.
Alright to post small-file images but be very wary of the people who contact you
from that site. I was reached by a woman claiming to be an old art teacher. She actually
inserted herself into my teacher's (see right hand list of friends) 'instant message' option and
was able to chat, using my teacher's name. Be careful. E
ehoeveler

Postby cynga_roskowe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Your own website and social media is what I think is best. If people Google your name or your artist name, they should see your website come up somewhere and get information. Linking the social media sites to your website and vice versa can get your create awareness of your art. I have most of the social media websites under control and see that it is useful in different ways. I would have to say Tumblr and Pinterest are great ways of free exposure.
cynga_roskowe

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Clint, really a good suggestion about having your own site.
Also thanks for the Tumblr and Pinterest tips.
Thanks, E
ehoeveler

Postby Phil_B » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm

i use it and have a page but what i do is make the image smaller so when they print it off on a bigger scale it just looks pixelated or you can put a small watermark at the bottom of your pictures like a photographer would do. i know you can now advertise your page to people who are not your friends too, i'm kinda sceptical about that but i guess it's what you got to do if you want exposure. the only people that like my page are my friends who choose to like it and probably some people i knew at school who are not my friends on Facebook.

i have about 61 likes and it has stayed like this since 2nd week of creating my page. you could probably change the privacy settings to something like the only people who can see what's on the page is those who like it(not sure how). on the admin page yo can see who liked your page, if you see your work being used by someone else you might be able to trace it back to whoever has liked your page.
Phil_B