A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Art On EBay

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Art On EBay

Postby dianapotts » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:33 pm

Has or does anyone here sell art on eBay? A few years ago artists were complaining, and yet lately when I go there to
owse art, a lot of art seems to be selling consistently by artists who keep at it. What are your observations and experiences?

Diana
dianapotts

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby arlynnhr » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:40 am

I haven't, but would like to know more about it!
arlynnhr

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Perhaps selling art on E-Bay is an art in itseft. I tryed to sell some a few years ago. Never had any luck. Don,t know for sure, But think it,s a waste of time. But would like to know from some others.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:13 pm

I was looking on E-Bay the other day. I think it listed 59,000 paintings. Maybe that was 5900. Anyway it would be hard to get notice with all those paintings. But what I kind of think is that it,s the lazy way to sell art. I think getting into art shows and galliers is the way to go. A little leg work always seems to work best.
John A. Barandon
johnwalkeasy

Postby arlynnhr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:30 am

I've always liked to know just how you contact a gallery. Do you just walk in and say hello? :D ... or is it better if you send them your info and some images from your portfolio before calling or visiting them?

So...I would like to ask to all fellow artists...how did you start on this business? What was your first experience when selling your art?...Just curuious...you always learn something from other people's experience.

Have a good day! :D
arlynnhr

Postby johnwalkeasy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:40 pm

You contact a gallery like like you would contact anybody else. Phone, walk in, letters. The best thing I think, is to try to get into art shows. Cover as much of the market as you can. The more people that see your work. The more of it you sell. And ofcourse keep your prices high. People will think more of you and your work.
John A. Barandon
johnwalkeasy

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Try to get into juried shows. Once you get into one, you may end up on their closest contacts list, at least that's what I experienced with one. All kinds of good things came out of it.
Erika Takacs

Postby arlynnhr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks for your advice! :D

I am kind of scared of sending my work for a competition. Last year I tried to enter a contest in the Cultural Center of Spain down here in Costa Rica, but they never replied...not even to say: "No thanks".... I know I have to keep trying, but somehow, I keep thinking that my work is not good enough... Sorry! I needed to get this out!! :(

Thanks again!
arlynnhr

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:51 pm

arlynnhr wrote:Thanks for your advice! :D

I am kind of scared of sending my work for a competition. Last year I tried to enter a contest in the Cultural Center of Spain down here in Costa Rica, but they never replied...not even to say: "No thanks".... I know I have to keep trying, but somehow, I keep thinking that my work is not good enough... Sorry! I needed to get this out!! :(

Thanks again!

It's understandable, it's hard to take rejection. I don't think one can get used to it, it hurts every time. But...got to keep trying. I just tell myself: 'next time'!
If you're unsure if it's good enough or not, you can ask us! :)
And you can start entering contests at Singular for practice. It's free. 8)
Good luck!
Erika Takacs

Juried shows

Postby pehiatt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Juried shows are your gateway int the gallery world. They build your personal standing and prices.

Good shows have prizes and usually a built in notification process. One show I entered listed the accepted entries on an automated phone site. Some used the internet.

Many have you provide a self addressed envelope or post card which the return to you with your entry status.

I have stacks of rejections but there are a few accepting my work in prestigious shows which led to sales and gallery interest.

Put on your tough skin and dive in. Its the fastest way to recognition.
pehiatt

Postby BAReam » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:57 pm

Pehiatt is on the right track. If you are really ambitious you might think about organizing a local show. You never know where it might lead.

Bruce
BAReam

Postby arlynnhr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:24 pm

Thank you very much for all your comments! They matter a lot to me! I'm going to keep trying...and you're right one never knows what might happen. Thanks again for your support. :D
arlynnhr

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:37 pm

On my next rejection, I'll add on: "Even Patrick got rejected"! :wink: :lol: It will help, I'm sure. Good luck, Arlynn
Erika Takacs

Juried Shows

Postby pehiatt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:59 pm

I strongly urge those who feel that they are ready to exhibit their work do so at every opportunity. Everything from local art organizations to the bar down the street.

Exhibiting forces you to constantly improve. Shows develops discipline and professionalism.

The competition however is tough and demands constant study and work.

For those that know my work please check out the gallery images of the VMRC 2008 Juried Exhibition. My painting "The Champions" made it in and sold. Look at the other work and check the prices. A lot can be learned from this one pdf file.

http://www.vmrc.org/VMRCPortal/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/GalleryImages-2008.pdf

For those that are thinking about entering juried shows this is what the the competition looks like.

When you think you are ready. Jump in. You never know.
pehiatt

Postby xxbreezy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:28 am

I am, as I have posted, entering "Fruits of Passion" in my FIRST competition in just a week or so. It is very scary to get started and as said before .....just do it!!! I agree that this is just a great start point to getting your work seen. I went online and got lists of competitions close to where I live which, to my surprise, were several. I also tried Ebay.....with no success!!! Galleries and competitions are your best bet. Just because you are not accepted into a competition or do not win a competition doesn't mean your work isn't any good. You just need to keep trying!! Try not to get defeated if its really what you want to do. The galleries I've been to here recently have been very friendly and most seem to want to "talk" alot about art in general. This
eaks the ice and makes it easier to approach them. Any form of contact in my opinion is acceptable but I feel "face-to-face" worked best for me.
xxbreezy

Selling your art

Postby pehiatt » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:56 am

Anyone serious about selling their art work is wasting their time on e-bay. The best way is to continue to network and develop a local outlet. Become a local cele
ity. Your prices are going to be determined by comparable prices for similar work within that market.

The Art market is stratified.

Level 1, Family and friends: Low price and soon saturated.

Level 2, Local Fairs and Artist Markets: Price limited by large amateur competition selling their work for little or nothing. Akin to flea markets.

Level 3,Local exhibition organized by artist (where ever possible): Often best prices for beginning artist. What you make you get to keep.

Level 4, Local Galleries: Fair price for good work

Level 5, Local Competitions: Can be costly (entry fees add up) and not profitable as a whole. More for exposure.

Level 6, National Competition: Best for developing standing. Juried Shows vary as does prize money. Some are scams. Good for sales. (Collectors follow the good shows)

Level 7, National and International Galleries: Good prices but requires a lot of good press and standing. Its hard to
eak into this market; you have to prove yourself first. Then there is the matter of commissions. Be prepared to share exhibition cost and pay big time.

Level 8, Private commissions (includes public art - murals and sculpture). One of the best markets. Based almost entirely on name recognition and standing.

Level X, Internet: Who knows you tell me.
pehiatt

Postby xxbreezy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:24 am

Totally agree!!! The only time I used the internet was for information on the local competitions. I'm sure you will have to pick and choose as well as maybe visit the gallery having the competition if possible. Thats what I have done and seems to be working ok for me. The main thing is to...just get started!!!!!
xxbreezy