A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New painting...still working with the dark theme

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

New painting...still working with the dark theme

Postby nina » Mon May 21, 2007 11:05 pm

My interpretation of the verse "and he
oke the chains of sin and death upon us". What I was going for in my head was to stylize Jesus in his descent to hell to conquer death. I kept it simple, trying to
ing the focus to the middle where the thick chain is being
oken. I'm starting to work heavily in tene
ism with a modern flair, so let me know what you think :)
Attachments
jesus chains smaller.jpg
jesus chains smaller.jpg (38.25 KiB)
nina

Postby ehoeveler » Tue May 22, 2007 2:42 am

Nina, what is 'tene
ism'? I love this piece
and can find nothing wrong with it. B
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby nina » Tue May 22, 2007 11:03 pm

"Tene
ism, from the Italian tene
oso ("murky"), (also called dramatic illumination) is a style of painting using violent contrasts of light and dark. A heightened form of chiaroscuro, it creates the look of figures emerging from the dark.
The difference between Tene
ism and chiaroscuro is perhaps best expressed by Rudolf Wittkower:
"With Caravaggio light isolates; it creates neither space nor atmosphere. Darkness in his pictures is something negative; darkness is where light is not, and it is for this reason that light strikes upon his figures and objects as upon solid, impenetrable forms, and does not dissolve them, as happens in the work of Titian, Tintoretto and Rem
andt."

its not in my words...I copied and pasted it in here. The cool thing was though that I was in D.C. showing some of my art samples to a big time producer and he missed the clue that they were mine and asked if they were from a Caravaggio exibit he had seen recently. So I started reading more about Carvaggio and realized we had some pretty significant parallels in our life stories and I finally realized what style I worked in. I had been doing it from my own head and not realizing it fit with someone who lived hundreds of years before. It's been a turning point and and very exciting time for me as an artist. Hope that explanation helps! :)
nina

Postby always_parry » Wed May 23, 2007 1:03 am

Hey Nina,

I really really like this piece as well. Its great work of art. I was wondering if you could add a bit of reality to the blood it would be awesome cos at the moment it looks a bit like red lines instead of blood. Anyways good work though.
Parry Y.

Come check out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/parryscosmos I update it daily so there is always something new and exciting, cheers.
always_parry

Postby ehoeveler » Wed May 23, 2007 1:12 am

Perhaps you could nasty-up those scourge marks a bit...
Thanks for the in-depth explanation of tene
ism and
good luck with the producer ! E
ehoeveler

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed May 23, 2007 7:53 am

Nina, beautiful work, probably the best of what you've shown us so far. I love the way you painted his head and I think the cuts are ok. Is the folded skin around his neck intentional? If yes, what does it mean? Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby nina » Wed May 23, 2007 12:58 pm

Part of the problem is the picture I've taken, not the painting. The cuts are stylized but have much more depth to them in real life. There are no skin folds those are the natural shadows in the photo. Upon examination, my father, (whose is like my mentor) says something is missing and claims it isn't finished. So now I am back to pacing back and forth looking to step it up to another level. I am interested in your ideas, only don't worry about the proportions and realism, those aren't carrying through properly and will be tweaked once this coat dries. What do you think the painting needs, and I will not be doing cliched rays of light around his face...
nina

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed May 23, 2007 1:17 pm

Maybe something behind his head and shoulders using the blue on his hands in darker tones? Some kind of a landscape, barely visible. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Singular » Wed May 23, 2007 1:36 pm

Very strong work. I think that because it is so well done, I can be picky. The links that are being
oken do not seem to have the distance or depth that they should. They are very well painted and the contour is evident, but they appear to be too close to the body. I can't recognize the distance between them.

If you are looking for something else because you think it is missing something; how about a strong presence of light somewhere, maybe behind him ascending upward and fading on the sides?

Just tossing out thoughts.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby eStrix » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:41 am

He has power! ;) beautiful work!
eStrix

Postby Teknowizard » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:27 am

I too think it is a very beautiful piece. I would also suggest adding a bit more to the muscles and some veins/arteries standing out. I used to body build before my accident and when really straining to exert maximum strength, muscles & veins really stand out.
My Facebook Fan Page - Come join as a fan and/or set up your own fan page.
Teknowizard

Postby nina » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:28 pm

I actually have still been working on this one...I'll post an updated version a little later :)
nina