A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Is digital art really art?

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Is digital art really art?

Postby shelley wheeler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 am

This is a work in progress, but I wanted to start a conversation about digital art and I am Ready for the Fury. I am just starting out with the digital painting and I could use any helpful suggestions, plus I think there are alot of opinions about the digital artist movement and I'd like to hear what artists are thinking about it. I personally will use anything I can get my hands on to create an image...and I'm finding so many Pro facts,.....no cleanup..im free to try things because i dont have to pay for material....photographing probs are eliminated and i can easily create a print of anywork I want to have in real life. On the Con side...i really miss the control i have with the real brush...I miss the smell and feel of everything...okay, what do you guys think?
Stop by https://www.facebook.com/ARTbyShelleyW and follow along...leave comments...I love having artist friends!
Attachments
shelley wheeler

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Is digital art really art?

Postby rhknigh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 am

I love this work, as I have let you know via FaceBook. Great Work in Progress shot, and a very sweet subject - an otter!

I have shared the essay I wrote on Digital art here in my blog etc. The original post is in my art blog dated March 13th. For the record, yes I think it is art. Just a medium that is fairly new. My blog post on this subject goes more in-depth.

Let me know what you think, anyone that is on this thread. I love this subject. And thank you Shelly for bringing it up here in the forum. :D
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby shelley wheeler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 am

I loved your article and reading it was one of the factors when I decided to give it a shot! You are a great writer and you have alot of interesting topics!
shelley wheeler

Postby rhknigh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks!!

Something else to consider, as I have observed Tanya do on a regular basis. 2D art can be manipulated digitally. You can add to it, change colors, darken it etc in any graphic editing program. You scan a photo, drawing, painting etc and open the digital file in say, adobe photoshop and can do so much to it. It is still your work, and digital manipulation of it can allow you to create endless variations of a basic subject.

And if you want to create digital art directly you can get a drawing tablet - Tanya uses the Bamboo Pad - and create as if the digital was your paint/ink. The stylus is just like a pen. There are also digital paintbrushes such as the Nomad.

Thanks again for your compliment on my article, it feels wonderful to know I have a reader who is touched by my words. There will be more to come.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby shelley wheeler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am

nice! all good ideas..and I look forward to reading yr articles!
shelley wheeler

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:59 pm

An added support for digital - I used to think that Digital
was somehow 'easier' but after looking at many interesting designs
along with sophisticated drawing and color work, I see that
is not the case!
ehoeveler

Postby shelley wheeler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:04 pm

I was under that impression myself, E...but trust me...its not easy! Its unpredictable and the paint mixes like real paint giving you unexpected results..which is exciting...the software Im using is ArtRage...it has a free demo if anyone wants to try it out...I am just beginning to learn how to use it and I couldnt be happier!
shelley wheeler

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks, Shelley; I might give it a try - is it better than Photoshop?
ehoeveler

Postby nigelartist » Wed May 08, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm a traditionalist. I love watercolour and especially oil. Not keen on acrylic. Or digital. There is no substitute for the smell of oil and getting oil moving on a canvas. However, we have to move with technology and progression and digital, I think, is here to stay. I created 'Appletree' using ArtRage and was surprised at how simple the tool is to use. However, ArtRage, to me, can take away the skill of the artist. Over to you...
Nigel Goodwin:Artist/poet/songwriter/photographer - http://nigelgoodwin.crevado.com
nigelartist

Postby eddieblz » Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 am

I had to look back the first post here were I talked about digital art. That was the time I started to use digital art. About November of last year about 5 months. I had been out of art for over a decade. this medium has really sparked something in me again. Now I used to think that it wasn't really true art but that has changed as I've gotten further into digital. I also like the way I can create, try new things, experiment with colors without the cost of materials. The sky to my creativity has become the limit. It's been a little strange for me not having any hard copies of my work. There are definitely some aspects of traditional art that are missed. All that being said I'm loving it. I believe it is truly art.
From the first time the first drawings were scratched out on walls artists have been looking for new mediums to express themselves better and more easily. Seeking that elusive perfection. I believe this is just another medium in that long line that has been created to reach that end.
Establishments of higher learning have tried to put a definition on art. That is impossible. Art needs to be left to define itself. I believe this new medium will also help in that definition.
I have Gimp on my computer but lately I've been using a program called DAmuro off the deviantart forum. The only problem with it is that it is not available for direct download on to privet PC's so it has to be used through the internet. This does create bugs and problems occasionally. Fortunately it's compatible with Gimp so I'm able to work the bugs out.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ehoeveler » Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 pm

[quote]The sky to my creativity has become the limit.[/quote]
Well put, Eddie!
ehoeveler

Postby shelley wheeler » Thu May 09, 2013 6:07 pm

I have missed the smell and feel of pastels...on the other hand...Im free!
shelley wheeler

Postby ehoeveler » Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Gotta say, when you have to use materials like pastel, oils, etc.
there is that mess factor!
ehoeveler

Postby eddieblz » Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Expense factor also.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby shelley wheeler » Thu May 09, 2013 9:35 pm

expense is a total factor! i love being able to just try stuff...and if i like it i can always do it in hardcopy...plus im thinking about ordering a print of a digital piece....im not sure where would be the best...i have a fineartamerica account but i havent used it yet
shelley wheeler