A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

the doors of west end

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

the doors of west end

Postby mckinney.kelsey » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:42 pm

As a young 15 year old artist i am looking for your input and your opinions. I feel as though no thing is possible without a critique session to put me in my place. Black and white. acrylic. on canvas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelseymckinney/452765339/
creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mckinney.kelsey

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:56 pm

First off... well done...
In General as a 'near' impressionistic peice I think you are on a great track... Black and Whites have always been a favorite of mine, and you are doing well with light and shadow contrast.

The only thing that caught my eye, and I am not sure it if was intententional or not, is your perspective/directional lines. If the intention was to make them symetrical, your basic structure seems to be, but the strokes of which the shadow and light were applied are not paralell, just slightly slanting in a way that throws the corridor off a bit. Watch your
ush strokes when working with contrasting colors. Even the slightest of angle off will send the viewer to notice that something looks askew.

If it was intentional, then no worries. Art is an expression... and it is fine. I think you are doing well.. This peice, though it is of inanimate objects (doors), has a aire of mystery. Something unseen, a feeling of calmness yet not depressive.

Keep it up!! I like it a lot! 8)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby johnwalkeasy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:34 pm

This work is good. I like the look of black and white. I like the strange look of the dark room. I take it this work was done from a black and white photo. Is there a process for doing this kind of painting? I see more and more black and white kind of work. And I think you have a way with it. Keep working. Good Luck.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mckinney.kelsey » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:57 pm

For me the black and white style is a new one. Actually i prefer to work from a color photo because it causes me to focus more. One of my teachers Mrs. Murdock introduced me to this style. I like to sketch out the picture; do a blocking in (almost like the 1st layer of watercolors) with watered-down orange and blue. Then the color layer. and lastly the black and white
creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mckinney.kelsey

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:49 am

Good, solid work. But I still prefer your abstracts. I wish I had a Mrs. Murdock around when I was your age. My compliments t her :) Erika
Erika Takacs