A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

I really am ready for the fury

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

I really am ready for the fury

Postby rusalka » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:53 am

On the feminine mystique.
Attachments
charybdis-tiny.JPG
CHARYBDIS: the feminine abyss.
charybdis-tiny.JPG (19.48 KiB)
rusalka

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi,

It's an interesting, but not very flattering view of the feminine.

Erika
Erika Takacs

feminine void

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:16 pm

I'll tell ya, that's just how I felt about my period and being a woman
back in the 60s'. Haven't things changed since then? ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:40 pm

I get the feeling this has somthing to do with a young girl comming to age. We have a 13 year old girl living here with us. A year ago last summer. All that she talk about was going to camp. Now she's into eye makeup, lipstick, figer nails. She talks with her girl friends all nite long About boys. Oh my God, I,m to old for this.LOL
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby rusalka » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:47 am

I know it's wrong of the creator to explain his creation because it should ultimately explain itself, but I'll go against the grain here just this once.

The center of attention is the navel, what ties mother and child for 9 months -- it signifies feminine fertility and sensuality. I've always thought navels were really very special, especially on a woman's body because it (being an innie, especially) possesses erotic overtones, from which stems the taboo of a woman having to hide her belly button. A belly button on a woman is very mystical, as women are considered the givers of life. It's also erotic in the sense that in the SONG OF SOLOMON it's the "round goblet which wanteth not liquor." The belly button, in effect, is a miniature image of the vagina -- the ultimate female possession (heheh).

Where I was going with this photograph was a sense of loss... feminine loss (losing blood), the mourning or lamenting of the possibility of having had a child, giving life. And also an ancient sense of mystery about the female nature in general. The belly button is like a cave into the abyss of the inside of a woman. It's a gritty image. I chose a somewhat harsh light coming into the abdomen area, a little bit of in-your-face aggressive colors and constrast... which makes things a little more gruesome and dark, which commands attention and as a result a sense of urgency, but I still wanted to maintain the traditional feminine aspect of it -- the delicate pearls, lipstick (which I used to draw the uterus around the navel), mascara, and the pins. And furthermore, doesn't the navel look like a little em
yo right there in the center of the uterus? It's strategically placed there, or I should say, I strategically drew the uterus around the navel so that it looked the way it does in the photograph.

Navels are also very personal because it's really not determined genetically what it's going to look like. It's a scar from the umbilical cord and even identical twins have different navels -- in fact, that's the easiest way to distinguish the two individuals. So that makes a navel extremely personal... way more personal than one's own physical appearance.
rusalka

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:04 am

Wow, I was completely off here! I thought it was about something else. The explanation puts it in a completely new light.

Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby rusalka » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:40 pm

Let me take this opportunity to thank you all for the feedback. You've been great. That's why I chose this particular photograph to post in here, because I'm getting really interesting and very different thoughts on it. I thought the title, CHARYBDIS, once a nymph that Poseidon turned into a whirlpool, gave away the gist -- the female mystery doomed by a man to suck other men into their eventual doom (it's a funny twist -- man contributes to the doom of his own sex and blames who he used as a tool to his own misfortune... the woman). In the ODYSSEY, Odysseus lost some of his men to Charybdis and the rest to Scylla. It's only ironic that the terrible, intimidating whirlpool should be portrayed as a tiny little navel that everyone, even men, possess. In this case, I'm the only one laughing at my own joke.

You're doomed to overthink images once you read Steven Walker's JUNG & THE JUNGIANS ON MYTH. Before him, I was doing simple portraits.
rusalka

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:06 pm

Now I know what made me open a Greek mythology book just hours before your post! I was gonna read about how Medusa actually looked according to Greek sources and ended up reading about a lot of other stuff. It must have been Jung's ghost lol. Looking forward to see more of your works.

Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby roxy-foxy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:25 am

Contemporary art with mythology, very unusual combination. You can't expect one to recognise the navel without a ring on it nowadays... :lol:
roxy-foxy

charybdis

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:37 pm

OK, I understand now. Thanks, ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Fury

Postby Michaelblade » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:14 pm

I don't like it at all.Also the title doesn't fit.But what could a Man know?This is the first time I have not liked something on this website and I have no real critique for it.
The Real Blade
Michaelblade

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Dear Blade; It's OK to not like something, but it is more helpful to
the artist if you can say exactly why. Try taking some time to think
about the work after having the initial viscereal reaction. Thanks, ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Critique

Postby Michaelblade » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:14 am

The whirlpool needs to be there.Also we need a psych forum.This is the fury one.I would like to see more of your work.Do you paint and draw?Whirlpools are fearful to be in.This is not the psych forum so I can't say more.But it needs the whirl.
The Real Blade
Michaelblade

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Psych Forum? E
ehoeveler

really ready

Postby camerashy » Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 am

Wow! I hope there is more to view. I would love to see you develop further into other messages/ideas. The technical looks odd but intriguing anyway!
camerashy

Postby rusalka » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:43 pm

Wow, I must say I feel strange having that "aspiring artist" title; it's like peer pressure to take your work seriously... or else! :lol:

Why can't you say more, MichaelBlade? Call it an amaetur impulse, but I personally like photographs with a story, something I can talk about forever, psych forum or not, which is what I did with Parabola's "Soul Mates" topic months ago, and to this day my post is the longest one in there. It could be because of the amount of artists in this website and the amount of really great stuff that are available for us to see and comment, we try to ration how much time we can spend with one piece of work, and as a result give out very short and blunt comments, without playing with the idea in our heads. It's just something I see in many art forums, and it bothers me because we don't create any sort of relationships with the work we're commenting. Granted some of the websites function with the 5 star system and no long elaborate criticism or comments are actually allowed, but that is a ritual that defeats the artwork's purpose. I'm not very competent in this field, in fact my schooling and education has little to do with art, but this is my two cents' worth. Photographs are meant to be a medium through which one expresses something, they're meant to be looked at, discussed, and enjoyed.

I used to draw/paint but stopped a long time ago -- I'm still experiencing the painter's block, if there is such a thing, and there should be since there's a writer's block. Maybe there was such a huge divergence in the images in my head and the ones that my hand was able to produce that I got sick of it all and found it unbearable :) I don't know what a whirlpool would look like if I drew it around the belly button (if that's what you meant), but I couldn't have had such a contrasted image if I had done that because the swirls would be hard to discern. In fact, I shouldn't have drawn the circle around the navel, either. I should have left that alone and let it make a statement the way it was. There's beauty in simplicity.

Thank you for the feedback.

Another one... this time, without any stories; it's just something my mother had ever since I was little and I wanted to remember it. It's hazy... like a memory :)
Attachments
z.jpg
z.jpg (23.14 KiB)
rusalka

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi, Rusalka; I do like this one. It evokes your message of time gone by,
hazy memories and your Mom very well.
Try not to be too offended by others who don't understand what you create. There will always be folks out there who have a totally different outlook on life and art.
On the subject of critiqueing, I think alot of folks out there are tired or just not verbal so they may find it hard to expound upon their likes or dislikes. When I'm tired, for example, I may make a comment like "very cool" or, "not getting it" or whatever.
I personally find your work interesting and as far as having painters'/writers' block - block the block! Just do it!
B
ehoeveler