A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New Series of Paintings

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

New Series of Paintings

Postby nina » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:00 pm

3 paintings for the new show, they illustrate how I see the hand of god in my mind. I tend to do isolated work, no back ground distraction...pictures are kind of blah but they look amazing in real life especially all side by side :)
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (41.01 KiB)
2.jpg
2.jpg (38.8 KiB)
3.jpg
3.jpg (48.68 KiB)
nina

Postby Singular » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:58 pm

There is no question that these are very well painted hands - very realistic. But I would love to see you take it to the next level. I would like to see these pictures tell me that these are the hands of God and not some man's hands. Maybe a glorious ascension of light from the palms of his hands.

Just a thought. Nevertheless, these are very well done.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

new paintings

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Beautiful, realistic hands. Oil or acrylic? Beautiful. ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby nina » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:24 pm

Joe, its very obvious in real life that its relating to God somehow, because the scars are visible on the outstretched hands, on the wrists...1 it's God the creator of all things (the potter), the original artist...2 God the redeemer, the savior, the hands of christ, God in mortal flesh, and the third is God the spirit, the supplier of living water for our souls to be in communion with him. I think that as I see God as so personal a friend, when I painted his hands, I thought of him as he might come to me. I do not think that the world would recognize him as such a simple man. Just as he is jealous and wrathful, he is love and humility as well. I wanted to create the feeling a person could reach out and touch the hand of their best friend, that they always speak to but never see...wow this is a little long, but the subject I painted is a very special one for me :)
nina

Postby Singular » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:20 pm

nina wrote:Joe, its very obvious in real life that its relating to God somehow, because the scars are visible on the outstretched hands, on the wrists...1 it's God the creator of all things (the potter), the original artist...2 God the redeemer, the savior, the hands of christ, God in mortal flesh, and the third is God the spirit, the supplier of living water for our souls to be in communion with him. I think that as I see God as so personal a friend, when I painted his hands, I thought of him as he might come to me. I do not think that the world would recognize him as such a simple man. Just as he is jealous and wrathful, he is love and humility as well. I wanted to create the feeling a person could reach out and touch the hand of their best friend, that they always speak to but never see...wow this is a little long, but the subject I painted is a very special one for me :)

That is a beautiful point of view. Thank you for your very poetic words.
Joe
Singular
Founder

Re: New Series of Paintings

Postby DeDeSorensen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Nina,
I love the realism, kindness and strength you've portrayed in this series of hands. I can see where in the first painting God is forming the clay (humanity?) with such care and love. I can see in the second painting His outstretched hands are ready to receive us (and to catch us when we stumble). And finally, in the third painting I see not only our sins washed away by redemption but also the shape of the hands (in a heart) lay testiment to God's ultimate love for us. Beautiful work. Thanks for showing them. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
:) DeDe
DeDeSorensen

Postby nina » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:27 pm

I just wanted to say thank you all for your lovely comments...you're very encouraging to me and it's helping to build my artistic confidence :) Please pray for some of my paintings to sell at this art show...the Lord himself knows I need money (ie I am a literal starving artisit :)
nina

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:54 pm

Nina,This is very good work. You work very hard. And it will all payoff for you some day. I wish you well at your show.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby roxy-foxy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:25 am

Hi Nina
I love the paintings. Don’t want to repeat others. As I consider myself expert in palmistry (palm reading) I dare to say that those hands never ever could be god’s hands neither Jesus hands absolutely impossible according to the ancient and modern theories. If you are interested in the arguments let me know I’ll give you a detailed explanation.

Cheers,
Anelia
roxy-foxy

Postby nina » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:06 am

The model for the hands was my own father and yes since he is human those hands would not be "Gods" hands, but if they were we would not even be able to look on them because the Glory of the Lord is so intense it kills. Don't mind my indifference please, I've never believed personally in palm reading so I won't inquire. But thank you for your very lovely compliments :)
nina

Postby roxy-foxy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:14 am

I see you believe in god, then change the titles or pray for forgiveness or both. :lol:
roxy-foxy

Postby nina » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:23 am

roxy, my sense of humor is a bit lacking...are you kidding with me?
nina

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:40 pm

Dear Anelia, If you read your Bible, you will see that Man is made in Gods' image. Those hands are strong and powerful,
as I believe God to be. No one needs to change title or pray for forgiveness. In fact, if God is watching, He's smiling at the homage from Nina. Another way of looking at things; God is in us all, therefore He can be in Ninas' dads' hands. Elizabeth
ehoeveler

Postby johnwalkeasy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:55 pm

Jesus was a carpenter. I think he would have work in this trade for over 20 years before he left his home. With the kind of tools used for this task 2000 years ago. I would think his hands were very strong and very robust.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby roxy-foxy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:21 am

When one claims he/she portrays God, must be careful. Do you remember what happened last year when entire Islamic world raised their voices against a couple of drawings of an artist from Nederland?
The psychometrics of the person whose hands are portrayed are not suitable. It could fit better in “Devilâ€
roxy-foxy

Postby Singular » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:28 am

Hello all,
Although discussion about the meaning of a painting in critique is fine, I think Nina is looking for opinions on the quality of her work, not her beliefs. Religion is a very sensitive issue and I don't think that our discussions should debate someone's beliefs. Who are we to judge? Everyone's faith is based on what they believe and no one is wrong. So let's keep the discussion on the right track, not turn it into a religious argument. Too many people will be hurt over religious arguments.

thanks,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Thank you, Joe

Postby DeDeSorensen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:41 am

For (hopefully) putting a stop to this discussion that is spiraling out of control. It appears that some people are under the impression that "I Am Ready For The Fury" translates to "I Am Ready for an Argument". While it is somewhat difficult to critique a work and not take into account its deeper meaning, I think we should try to keep our comments directed toward the technical aspects of a painting rather than focus upon an artist's personal beliefs. Personally, I will try harder to keep my own comments from veering off course.

:) DeDe
DeDeSorensen

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks, Joe and DeeDee; I just had to give some props to Nina and the Man upstairs! I'll try not to get sucked in. Elizabeth
ehoeveler

wowzers!

Postby nina » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:39 pm

I had no idea these posts were going on like this. First of all, I'm sorry. Not for the paintings, but for not clarifying what the intent was. As an artist, and we all fall into
oad social/political spectrums, part of being what we are is our ability to create something to show some meaning or leave it open to interpretation. I have a very special, and intimate connection to my God. He is very loving and given me this ability to paint, that sometimes I don't understand. The vision I had in my head for these paintings was to show something visual to connect with something my head and heart knows: that God is the creator, that Jesus was the son in flesh and our sacrifice, and that the Holy Spirit daily supplies strength and comfort and guidance (the water of life). I wanted to show a visual representation of what I know to be true and I'm always excited when I hear from people that they've thought of something the same way I have, they just didn't know it could be
ought to life. I look at art as a ministry and my goal is to be a positive influence in peoples lives by supplying them with these visual representations, to give them hope or comfort, whatever they are needing. The message I send is not my own, I get all this from the Bible. I'm just drawing a picture. And sadly its been drawn before and my art in no way compares to the art done by the creator of all things who is abstract in his creation of the sky, a realist in his creation of man, an impressionist in the fog on a meadow to landscape seen from afar. I did not mean to cause controversy, I meant to
ing comfort. And God knows what my hearts desires and intentions are and I feel so much peace, so I don't think he is angry with me. For me it's a message to send, not an idol to sculpt.....sorry so long :)
nina

titles

Postby nina » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:46 pm

I also never titled this the hands of God, thats what I see in my mind, but what I wanted others to interpret from it, not hear from my lips...the titles are "the creator" "the redeemer" and "the supplier" :) Hopefully I can take the last word here and hopefully we won't have any more arguing, I haven't taken anything personally and still very much value everyone's ideas and advice :)
nina

Next