A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Abondoned Memories

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Abondoned Memories

Postby Nikki Lee » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm

These pictures are of an old homestead not to far from my house. I don't know a whole bunch about the place, other than it was originally the William's place. These are probably my favorite pictures, it is actually a house and I like to imagine what it would be like when it was new. There were many other old log and timber buildings in the yard, but the house stuck out to me the most.

Just wanted to see what everyone thought of the pictures.

Thanks
Nikki
Attachments
Drawings-paintings 015.jpg
Drawings-paintings 015.jpg (82.21 KiB)
Drawings-paintings 014.jpg
Drawings-paintings 014.jpg (74.6 KiB)
Nikki Lee

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 pm

I would think that when this house was built. Thier was not a tree around it. Also it looks as though the front porch was an add on. Also what looks to be an add on in the back. Maybe a bathroom to replace a outhouse. A tree has growed out on an angle from just beneth the front porch. The house looks to have started out as a barn. So the windows and fire place were I belive add ons as well. This house has lived many years, Went though many changes, seen many things and it wants to go away. A very telling photo. And taken at the right time of day, at the right time of year. Remarkable.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi Nikki,

Very touching photos.
There's a certain sadness about them, but a good kind of sadness.
The first photo, with the lonely bottle (?) on the porch is perfect. When I looked at it, a title jumped at me: "Left behind".

Thanks for sharing,
Erika
Last edited by Erika Takacs on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erika Takacs

Postby Nikki Lee » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:15 am

Thanks so much for your replies. I like what you said about all the add ons and the changes. I appreciate you taking the time to look at the photos in such detail.

I agree with you that there is a sadness about the pictures. I think thats what I like so much about them. I also like the title suggestion, it suites it very well.

Thanks again for your comments

Nikki
Nikki Lee

Postby Singular » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:26 pm

I absolutely love these photos. They have such wonderful emotion and life. These could win awards in my opinion.

I want more,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Nikki Lee » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:35 am

Wow, Thanks so much for all your comments. It's amazing to see how everyone else interprets these pictures.

Thanks again so much for your wonderful comments.

Nikki
Nikki Lee

Postby PRSphoto » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:50 pm

Your images do have a nice feel.

I would suggest, if possible, that you do some more work with this building. The first image, for example, could be tighter, with the concentration on the porch and bottle. Cropping the image so the uprights for the porch frame the sides, the roof line frames the top and the wall and grasses frame the bottom. I believe this would be a more dynamic image.
On the second image, stepping back a little to include more of he tree and its
anches on the left could produce a greater feeling of abandonment.

Overall I do like the images.
PRSphoto

Postby Eirewolf » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm

It's funny... I saw a person, not a bottle, in the first photo. A woman wearing glasses, sitting near the porch wall with her chin on her hand. Now I see a bottle (now that someone said it was a bottle). Interesting.

If you do more photos of this place, it might be interesting to try one from the same distance (as the first photo), but lay on the ground and look up at it. It almost looks that way already, but you might get even more dramatic angles. (I like your photos already; it's just a suggestion to play with.)

I agree with PRSphoto about the 2nd photo. The tree would benefit from a little space.

Overall, you've definitely captured a feeling of sadness and abandonment in these photos. Maybe this used to be a happy place, but the life is gone from it now.
Eirewolf

Postby Nikki Lee » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:13 am

Thanks for your opinions. I recently got a new computer so I don't have a program to crop and alter pictures yet, but when I get one I will do some work on the pictures. I appreciate your advice a lot, I'm only 18 years olds and really want to learn this kind of stuff so I can improve.

Again, Thanks

Nikki
Nikki Lee

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:04 pm

Wow, Nikki, very impressive for an 18 year old! :D You're off to a good start.
Erika
Erika Takacs

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury