A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

the color flow

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

the color flow

Postby nina » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:37 pm

New painting, working on doing things from my head and less from photos. The result is not very realistic, but I think it's striking :) Somehow though, the photos I take of my work are always off, in perspective somehow, so this was the best one I had of this new one. Keep cranking them out for the Images Art festival...2 weeks left
Attachments
stream.jpg
stream.jpg (80.09 KiB)
nina

Postby johnwalkeasy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:29 pm

This work has great color and movement. Very nice.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Singular » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:31 pm

I agree with John. It's very refreshing to look at. Like a bowl of fresh cut fruit.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby sangfroid » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:17 am

Gorgeous colors together, and of course the movement!
sangfroid

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:41 pm

I don't know, Nina; I'm not feelin' it. Can't exactly say why.
ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby nina » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:31 am

It's ok. If I spent all my waking time trying to please everybody I wouldn't sleep or ever do anything I enjoy. I'm working on developing my own style and this painting is just part of the journey. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I won't lie and say I don't care when I get critiqued, it just helps me more if you specify a problem and a way to fix it rather than just saying "I don't feel it". I gave up art all through highschool because of getting this kind of imput and it really can drag down an artist. I accept criticism is what I'm saying, just try to make it constructive :)
nina

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:48 am

Hi Nina,
Just a reminder, this is the "I Am Ready For The Fury" forum, and considering that, there is nothing wrong with ehoeveler's comment. It's about the work, her feeling about the work, nothing personal. This forum is about honest opinions, and that's much harder than to just say "It's nice". We all have to remember that.

Talking about honesty, there are some minor issues with this painting and that is fine, because you're looking for new ways to express yourself. And it's so much harder to work from your head. The colours are lovely and refreshing, but more work is needed on depth and perspective. The rocks in the foreground don't look like rocks right now. Overall I think you're on the right path, I actually like this style much better than your realistic one.

Keep posting, I don't think anyone is trying to discourage anyone,
Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby nina » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:56 pm

Oh I didn't mean it like that. I just wanted to know a reason why someone doesn't feel it. Like for instance, you told me about the perspective and detail in the foreground and thats helpful to me. I just wanted a bit more about why they weren't feeling. I don't mean to come off as sensitively, but I am young and have no formal training, so this where I get my help. And I need it :) So I need the fury to include some artistic suggestion, thats all
nina

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi, Nina; I'm sorry I was obtuse about this particular piece. Sometimes
I say that kinda thing because I don't want to tell the artist exactly where to go. I believe, from your past work, that you are talented enough to
figure it out. To be clearer, I think the rocks in your river do look more
like submerged fruit. There seems to be a clashing of styles. If you
want to go 'surrealist or nouveau surrealist', that's OK . Or, If you want to carry on the wonderful realism as illustrated in 'Hands', that's
good as well. I just got the feeling you weren't sure which way to go on this one. ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby nina » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm not quite sure where I was going with this you are right. It kind of evolved under my paint
ush plus I got tired of it so I left it alone and kind of liked it. So I was just curious if others would like it the same as I did in its rough state. Actually in real life, the colors don't look grainy at all it seems to flow very prettily, maybe I'll take another picture. For some reason with my colorful pieces, the camera leaves these weird rings marks almost like Saturn, so this was the only picture where it didn't have the rings.
nina

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:16 am

That's cool, Nina - but what do you think of the colors of the rocks?
Honestly, the rock colors look tropical, and they are pretty colors;
I'm just wondering where those shades fit into what seems to be a Northern river. Is there moss or other underwater growth that looks like that? Don't get me wrong, I think you have what it takes to be a great painter, but we all have to step back and take another look at our stuff, sometimes. 'Best ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby DLKeur » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:31 pm

I like it. It's refreshing. The colors move a common subject into a vividness that keys deep memories of steams crossed while hiking. I'd like to see more.
DLKeur