A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Puppies! Updated photo! See last post please!

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Puppies! Updated photo! See last post please!

Postby BYart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 am

Hi Everyone!
Finally finished this recent commission of a male and female Great Dane Pups, and boy am I glad!
This is the first commission I have agreed to take on, in quite awile, so it was a bit unnerving working with a client again.
The client had originally given me "free rein" as to the BG, but midway through the pups she decided she wanted them portrayed as having just pulled her velvet throw down from her bed, and then got comfy!
As she explained, they do this often.
The difficulty came in because she didn't have a good ref. of the throw(her camera kept changing the blue color), so I had to play with the color until she was satisfied it came close to what she has :roll: .
I would have preferred a different BG, but as long as she is happy(and she is thrilled), I'm fine with it.
This is Prisma colored pencils on 12 x 12 watercolor paper 140# cold press.
The piece covers the entire paper, which again, is what she wanted. I explained it will leave no room for matting, but she was insitant, as she plans on framing behind glass, no mat.
It took me about 60 hrs. to complete.
I am thrilled she is happy, but I am SOOOOO ready to move on from this one!
I value your input on this piece and will utilize any comments or advice for future pieces. Thanks!
Attachments
Great Dane pups Final small.jpg
Great Dane pups Final small.jpg (197.23 KiB)
Last edited by BYart on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby finalprodigy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:30 am

Wow, great job Barb! Your drawing are always so full of life! I marvel at your colored pencil skills. They and oil pastels are the only mediums that never hit it off with me. Maybe I`m just not patient enough! :)
Again, great job!
finalprodigy

Great

Postby rrsum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:25 am

So much character in this Barb. Like I said..."love your dog portraits!" Nice job on these two my friend!
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby BYart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:56 am

finalprodigy wrote:Wow, great job Barb! Your drawing are always so full of life! I marvel at your colored pencil skills. They and oil pastels are the only mediums that never hit it off with me. Maybe I`m just not patient enough! :)
Again, great job!

Thanks so much Finalprodigy!
I'm still learning the medium and techniques which will work for me. The biggest challenge I have found is that with different surfaces(paper types), the technique can differ...so keeps me on my toes!
I'm a complete amatuer when it comes to alot of Colored pencil artists I've studied!
The downside, as all CPer's I'm sure, will agree, is the elaborate amount of time required to do a larger piece. Hence most work in smaller size!
Oil pastels are something I tried only
iefly, didn't like "my" result, so might try them again someday. Right now I'm thinking of doing some graphite or pastel work as I need a
eak from Colored pencils for a bit.
But your are very correct in that CPs have taught me patience(read ready to tear my newly grown back hair out on this one :lol: )
Barb

BYart

Re: Great

Postby BYart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 am

rrsum wrote:So much character in this Barb. Like I said..."love your dog portraits!" Nice job on these two my friend!

Rich,
What can I say? Your vote of confidence means the world to me! I admire your work so much...Thank YOU! :D
Barb

BYart

Pups

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm not just saying this because you said something
very nice about my work - I love the puppies, makes
me want to reach out and give them a pat on their
cute, fuzzy heads!
ehoeveler

Re: Pups

Postby BYart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:54 pm

ehoeveler wrote:I'm not just saying this because you said something
very nice about my work - I love the puppies, makes
me want to reach out and give them a pat on their
cute, fuzzy heads!

Thank you! And I hope you will show us more of your work. I look forward to it!
Barb

BYart

barb.these are cute pups..

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:45 am

hi barb.. i like both of pups.they r cute.you make it perfect.what that i think is about blue color on background.i think this dark color make the pups being dark.because the mouth is also black.and it makes dominan.maybe the pastel color for background would make your painting become fun.because these r pups.anyway i love your pups barb.. they funny.. :) meili darmasetiawan
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby BYart » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:05 am

meili,
Thanks so much for your comment and advice.
I was working with a client, and as I mentioned in my original post, she wanted a specific BG color. I, too, would have preferred a different BG all together, but I respected her wishes. I also know this picture of the piece is a bit dark, I will try to take an outdoor shot tomorrow.
Thanks so much for commenting, it's always great to hear others opinions!
Much appreciated! :D
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:51 am

:cry: I'm still struggling with my new camera! PLEASE if anyone can help me figure out what i am doing wrong I would be so very grateful!'I have a Canon Powershot SX120, 10 megapixel. I take my shots outdoors, weather permitting. I have tried EVERY setting imaginable and yet I still cannot get a shot close to the original! AND this thing literally EATS batteries. For every 4 or 5 shots, I have to put in new batteries!
I've tried, yet again, so hopefully this one is easier to see. i had posted on another forum as well, and the majority of posters said they couldn't see the faces, so I am doing something wrong! The original shows the faces easily. :cry:

Let me know if this one is easier to see please.
Attachments
Great Dane pups Final #2sm.jpg
Great Dane pups Final #2sm.jpg (193.14 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby finalprodigy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:55 am

Yes, this one is a bit clearer. I can never get the pictures to look like the original but what usually helps is using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It has a reliable "auto correct" function which often balances the image. There are plenty of programs that can do this, this one is just more convenient for me.
finalprodigy

Postby BYart » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:03 pm

finalprodigy wrote:Yes, this one is a bit clearer. I can never get the pictures to look like the original but what usually helps is using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It has a reliable "auto correct" function which often balances the image. There are plenty of programs that can do this, this one is just more convenient for me.

Thanks Finalprodigy!
I use paint.net for any photo editing, but my issue is with the photo's clarity and the colors my camera is capturing. They are blurry and "off" to start with, so i've tried and tried different settings with this thing...no difference.
I've been reading reviews online about my model camera, and it seem smany are having the same issues as i am! I'm going to TRY and return it to Walmart, but they've already told me that since it's past 14 days, i need to send it back to Canon. Canon hasn't responded yet!
Barb

BYart

Postby finalprodigy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Oh, I see. Well good luck with returning the camera! Let us know if you find a good camera for your needs :)
finalprodigy

Postby oilpainter2247 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 am

you no barb that might be the problem ,,,,,shoting them out doors .....i do mine indoors and no flash ,with alot of light .............just give it a try

well anyways i love the way this one came out for you ,,,,,,,,,,,you do some great eyes in your work ...........i love this painting very much . nice work .mike
oilpainter2247

Postby oilpainter2247 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 am

i forgot to give you this too http://www.steves-digicams.com/ this is a place to go and look at reviews for your camera ,,,,,,,,,,,also they have a forum there where you can ask people that no cameras

there is also other things to think about with cameras remember you got one with 10 mps ..............you might wont to lower it some lates say 2 or 3 mps

people think that you can use all 10 mps ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is nice for poster like pics ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but you cant use all 10 mps on the computer it is way too big and your monitor can not show 10mps . if i remember right .
oilpainter2247

barb,try acd see 9

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 am

hi barb.. the latest photo is lighter than before for the background. sometimes some colors can t display like the real color as seen on your painting. i also use canon camera. try to use acd see 9 editor.maybe you can les the hue of blue color.adjust with the real color on your painting.hopefully this can help. but anyway these are beautiful and cute pups.you make it so good. :) . keep spirit my friend! meili darmasetiawan
meili_darmasetiawan