A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My Self Potrait

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

My Self Potrait

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 am

i ve plan to make my self potrait. Inspired by AFFANDI, famous painter fr Indonesia. He said that : Looking to my self was beleived to be one way to communicate to the universal as well as express personal emotion.

Medium : Oil on Canvas
sz. : 35 x 40 cm

This potrait was took on 2007. i m look younger than now. Smile .
I ve vacation to "Dunia Fantasi", a fun place like Disneyland, but smaller.
So happy go there... And this is my expression.

Thank you for viewing... :D

regards,
meili darmasetiawan
Attachments
self potrait final 200kb.jpg
My Self Potrait
self potrait final 200kb.jpg (196.13 KiB)
meili_darmasetiawan

Gallery: View Gallery

Good Morning!

Postby Michael Ortega » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 am

I love this painting of the attractive young lady. There are one or two elements that do not contribute to the painting. The little figure above your hand is very distracting and does not advance your subject. It looks like a phallic symbol in a kabuki wig. Very much takes away from the painting. The red geometric shape above the phallus in a wig is also a little distracting but not as much. In the best of instances your background should enhance your subject at the very least it should not be a distraction.

You are very much "in the groove" and I can see great things coming from you in the future!
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

thx for kind comments and suggestions michael...

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi michael.. :)

glad to see you again. thx for viewing and post kind comments! actually, i hv work it on WIP.

sorry for abstract and a little crap background. but actually, i develop it from photo at Dunia Fantasy and i let my hand works to make the background be abstract. I 'll try to combine realistic and abstract here. i realize that it is uncommon. but still i love the background anyway michael...

but i really appreciate for your kind comment and that's give me new spirit to always improve my works. thank you! :D

regards,

meili darmasetiawan
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Wow, Meili, I love this one a lot. Your colours here are wonderful, remind me of one of my favourite painters, Gauguin. Joy and happiness are radiating from it. I don't have a problem with anything in the background. Only one little thing stands out, your signature. Experiment to make it a little less obvious. Van Gogh used to make it part of his composition, that might work here too. Or just try different ideas.
May I ask how old are you now, Meili? Do you see yourself going to art school?
Erika Takacs

Re: thx for kind comments and suggestions michael...

Postby Michael Ortega » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:56 pm

meili_darmasetiawan wrote:Hi michael.. :)

glad to see you again. thx for viewing and post kind comments! actually, i hv work it on WIP.

sorry for abstract and a little crap background. but actually, i develop it from photo at Dunia Fantasy and i let my hand works to make the background be abstract. I 'll try to combine realistic and abstract here. i realize that it is uncommon. but still i love the background anyway michael...

but i really appreciate for your kind comment and that's give me new spirit to always improve my works. thank you! :D

regards,

meili darmasetiawan

You are very welcome! It's a beautiful painting! You have a great day and I'll see you later.
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

erika, i really flattered. thx a lot....

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:01 pm

hi erika..

thx a lot for viewing and give me encouraging spirit words! you make me flattered. :D .yup. i think my signature is too big here. next i ll try another way to make it fit with my painting. maybe i hv to learn a lot from the master like van gogh and gaugin. also with the better tehnic.

now i m 31 years old. in this photo, i m 29 years old. just like younger lady... :lol: . but yes, i m a little woman in my age. my height is 151 cm, and my weight is 37 kg. sometimes, i want to be fat just a little bit more. but, cannot. :( .

but it s still ok for me. as long i still can make my artworks to make people happy and inspired. :) .

i want to hv formal education in art. but still can't for now. maybe later, ihv that chance.

:D .

thanks again..

regards,
meili darmasetiawan
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby oilpainter2247 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 am

meili you look wonderful in this ,,,,,,,,,,,the color is unreal , just a great painting all around . i like this one very much ,thank you for showing it

have a wonderful day and stay safe meili .mike
oilpainter2247

thx mike.. your comment is wonderful..

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:38 am

hi mike,

thx for your wonderful post reply for me.. it s always means a lot... :D .

hv a nice day mike. and i always waiting for your next beautiful paintings..

:) .

meili darmasetiawan
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby BYart » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:16 am

Hi Meilii!
I want to applaud you for doing a self portrait! I haven't done one yet, too chicken :lol: I believe every artist, no matter the style, should do one. I need to do one, i know, so with that in mind...
I like the colors and the mood portrayed in this wonderful painting.
I do think that the "realism" side of this piece could be improved just a bit, by darkening the shadows(especially where the hat meets the hairline), as to give it more depth and appear more realistic. A general darkening of the shadows, and a bit more highlighted value, would, I believe, accomplish that more.
All in all, I love this, and agree with Erika's comment about it radiating happiness!
I too, have a problem with where and how to include my signature. Maybe just a bit samller, more to keep it from distracting the eye?
Great painting! And always look forward to your work!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

thx 4 your comment barb.

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 pm

hi barb.. Thx for your great post reply.. I appreciate it bcause you a very pro artist. Hopefully see your works soon... Meili darmasetiawan
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Meili, You have got a lot of great advice here. And I agree with most of it. And you have found yourseft with a lot of very good artist here. With all that has been said. What I see in this work and with the other work you have shown. Is the heart of an artist. And you have an eye and feel for color. Your work makes a person feel good. I don,t think you have a real idea of how good you are. I love your work. And I think it, along with your heart will
ing joy to alot of people. And that joy will be giving back to you.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

john,your post reply is make my day so bright..

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:37 am

hi john... thx you for your wonderful post reply for my works.. that s make my day so
ight today. i m so thanksfull with so many great and very good artists here.. they hv very good advices for me. day by day i feel so happy here.. also for this post reply. for me an artist should show their works like they show their heart feeling soul. thx you john.. your words so inspiring... :) . hv a good day john...
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Meili, wow, you look a lot younger! I thought I was talking to a high school student! :shock: :lol: That's ok, tiny artist, big art!
Erika Takacs

Hello

Postby rrsum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Meili,
I think it takes a certain amount of courage to do a self-portrait. You've done an excellent job of showing all of us who you are. Happy, full of life and color!
I agree with Michael. I think YOU should be the main focus of this painting, and the background a little more obscure.

Still, great use of color, and I love your smile! Good job! :wink:
Rich Summers
rrsum

nice to meet you rich.thx for your opinion..

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:33 pm

hi rich..thx you for your opinion.. i really appreciate it. maybe it s about the focus of this painting. i want to make the unity about my self here and the background.i m happy because i m at that place.but i want to make the background like something to make anyone curious what is it. because that s what i am.i m a curious person especially w drawing and painting. :) . anyway.thx a lot rich.hv a nice day..
meili_darmasetiawan

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury