A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

mother and son - bathing

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

mother and son - bathing

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:15 am

Hi all..

This is my latest artwork - painting. I also submitt my progress at WIP. I made it to cele
ate mother's day in indonesia : 22 dec, and almays remind me about how's my mom love me until now...

The title is : MOTHER AND SON - BATHING.
medium : oil on canvas
sz : 35 x 40 cm

Pls tell me what's your thinking about this work...

Thank you for viewing... :D

meili darmasetiawan
Attachments
mother and son - bathing final.jpg
MOTHER AND SON - BATHING
mother and son - bathing final.jpg (196.47 KiB)
meili_darmasetiawan

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:29 pm

Meili, you've created a wonderful atmosphere here, the loving expression of the mother is very believable, and the baby is very well done as well. I'd like to mention two things that could be improved if possible at this stage. I think the first one is not difficult to correct. For a young mother I find her bone and muscle structure too obvious under the skin. If you could smoothen around the elbow area, it would be more credible. The biggie is the right hand and arm that ended up too small and thin compared to the other. Sometimes things look distorted on a photo, and for this reason when you transfer your photo to the canvas, you should forget about the photo and look at the new "reality" in front of you on the canvas. Your proportions will be more accurate. In fact, one of our accomplished members here, Patrick, goes further by suggesting that we should look at the reference photo until we understand it, and then put it away.
Other than these small suggestions, I think your painting is excellent! You're very talented and I can see a
ight future if you persist. :)
Erika Takacs

Erika, thanks a lot! Here is my revision...

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 am

Dear Erika,

Thanks a lot for your great suggestion... That's why i put my work in this fury! :)
I've check and review my proportion and color in my painting.
Yes, i found what you mean. I ve revise it.
Also i found that i ve to revise the invisible robe around them, and make it just like mist. And the background. I add
ight color at some part to make it seen "fun".

Pls tell me what your thinking in my revision, erika...

Thank you... :D

regards,

meili darmasetiawan
Attachments
mother and son-bath progress 3 rev.jpg
Mother and Son - bathing, revision
mother and son-bath progress 3 rev.jpg (193.03 KiB)
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Good job, Meili, it looks great!
Erika Takacs

thx erika! :)

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:55 pm

hi erika,

thx you.. i love drawing and painting figure.sometimes,it makes me down.but mostly i feel happy.because there s a special value to make a painting about human figure.i can tell everyone who view it what s the figure doing.figure s feeling,sense,etc.
it makes me happy.especially if the viewer of my artwork feel happy in their heart. i love inspiring people w my artworks.that s what i can do.
i m so happy in this forum,i found many kind prof people that give me support and very important suggestions and critics.like you.. :) .

you know erika,i feel more hv much spirit and knowing deep after your simple suggestions.but really mean a lottt for me.. it s really precious.
thx a lot erika. pls,viewing and give me another suggestions in my next artworks.
:) . good nite there.
regards,
meili darmasetiawan.
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby oilpainter2247 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:49 pm

meili i think that Erika had some good suggestions ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as for me i find this one to be just wonderful . a cute painting in everyway

just a fine job ,,,,,,,,,,i do love it very much . mike
oilpainter2247

mike, thx 4 nice post reply...

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 pm

hi mike,

thx for your nice post reply! :) . yup. i know that erika's suggestion is right. thx for erika for make me improve my work here. :D

that s why i love this forum all the way...

hv a nive day, mike... and i m still waiting for your next beautiful painting!

meili darmasetiawan
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 pm

Meili, glad you feel my comments were helpful. Learning never ends for any of us. With or without help, I see you growing artistically with each and every piece. :)
Erika Takacs

Postby BYart » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 am

Hi again Meili!

First, I want to congratulate you on a very impressive painting! I love, as I've said before, the love and tenderness you have portrayed here!
Your use of color, subject matter, and for the most part, technique is very well done!
There is only couple of tiny things that I might suggest. My suggestions are only because I'm struggling with these same things, so see if you think this might help you too.
In order to achieve the roundness more of the more forward arm, I think you could darken the value underneath the arm, as the light appears to be coming from above as seen in the bucket.
Lightening the "top" of the arm as well, would achieve a bit more rounded look.
I also think, and remember these are just suggestions, that the area of the forearm from the
aclet line/impression should be less contrasted, as my eye tends to focus on that. Bringing the skin tone from that area to resemble more the rest of the arm and then leaving it lighter where it hits the light, might be a bit better.
Again, Meili, I love this painting, and even if you decide not to use my suggestions, it is wonderful in my eyes!!!!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

barb..thx a lot for your suggestions...

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 pm

hi barb.. :) . no barb.i understand your suggestions will make my works better. i feel that this painting too dark for me.and not express my style with the light colors.so i ll revise the colors and make it sharper.also to make the dark and light in the skin to make some contrast here. :) . once again i m very welcome and glad with your suggestions barb.you help me a lot to improve my works. thx a lot... meili darmasetiawan.
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby kcortese » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Meili

I think you did a wonderful job on this painting. And after reading the previous posts from a few other folks here. I agree with their helpfull suggestions.

You made some great improvements so far, and maybe take Barb's advice with the arm.

I love this painting, keep going and please show more work.

Karen
kcortese

karen, thank you! here s ny latest revision...

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:28 am

Hi karen,

glad you view and post reply for me. thx a lot!
yes, i think my colors here are too darl. so i made some revisions.

here it is. pls viewing and tell me again what s of your thinking...

thx a lot karen...

hv a nice day... :D

meili darmasetiawan
Attachments
mother and son rev 2.jpg
mother and son rev 2
mother and son rev 2.jpg (156.27 KiB)
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby kcortese » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:14 am

meili

Hi! I think you have made some fantastic changes here with light and shadow. The water is perfectly done! Good job here.

I have my own personal opinion on this piece.

I don't like the rainbow swirling through the background or the yellow mist around your subjects. I feel it draws to much attention away from the main subjects. I keep looking at them instead of the baby and mother. It looks out of place to me.

I know the yellow mist represents the attachment for mother and son. You can make it more transparent, a faint hint of the connection.

I liked the painting better without the added swirls of color.

Perhaps add "out of focus" the back of the house, or room where the bath is taking place, wall, doorway or landscape of the yard.

Just my opinion, hope you don't get offended.

Karen
kcortese

karen, thx for your comment... :)

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:30 am

hi karen,

i m glad to see your post relpy here karen.you know that makes me happy yoday, because you can show me what s your thinking. fr my first concet at WIP, i don t plan it to make a room / in front a house to be the background. i wanna show and make focus to mother and son and not to the other object behind. and i wanna show color that describe a"peace" to eyes that see it. that s why i choose blue color. but i think, maybe i use this blue color too dark, so the object become not very focus. i wanna find the other idea now. maybe i ll make it lighter. :)

thx a lot for your encourage post reply karen. you so kind... :D

now i ll find another idea. hopefully i can post it again tomorrow..

CU, my friend...

regards,

meili darmasetiawan
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby BYart » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:04 am

Meili,
I like the changes.
Some may disagree with my thoughts now, but I am going to express them anyway-
I think you are the only one that can decide what will improve on your idea and intent for this painting. While others may work in a more realism sense, not all artists do. So take what suggestions may help you to achieve Your goals and realize we all only offer suggestions.

This piece, with it's colors as is, represents to my eye the beauty, joy and in some ways, mysterious connection of a Mother's bond with her child.
A Mother's love, IMO, is the strongest of all love.
The Water, to me, represents the giving of life or "Birth" of that love.
The Rainbow of "mist" represents the beauty of that connection, the colors representing the strength of that bond.
The mist surrounding the mother and child speaks to me, of the infinty of that bond- timeless and never ending.
I think you have portrayed your goals with a most joyful expression, warm and tender...I wouldn't change anything else, and again...I know some will disagree. :wink:
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

thx barb... :)

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:25 pm

hi barb,

thanks to you for your kind arguements about my works.. :D .

first off, i wanna say thx very much for all of you that give me important and precious suggestions for this work. they all give me new fresh spirit to always improve and improve my sense to painting my artworks.

i ve decide for this work. i wanna focus to mother and child and not give too much any focus and make those subject to be unfocus.

but i still remain mist around and child. make the background color lighter. so the color of background and the mist is seems unity, and to make effect,i add transparent bubble around them..

this is my final work here. i feel happy with this..

hope all of you can enjoy it too... :D

once again, thx a lot for all of you!! i really appreciate all of your opinions.

regards,

meili darmasetiawan
Attachments
mother and son that's FINAL....jpg
mother and son - bathing THAT'S FINAL...
mother and son that's FINAL....jpg (139.33 KiB)
meili_darmasetiawan

Postby kcortese » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:08 am

meili

This painting shows a great deal of talent and we know this came from your heart. Great job!

Keep them coming!

Karen
kcortese

Great

Postby rrsum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:27 am

What a great painting of culture! Thanks for sharing!
Rich Summers
rrsum

thx you karen and rich..

Postby meili_darmasetiawan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:45 pm

hi karen.. thx you karen.yup. at least i can make this painting just what i want in my deepest heart. this happen bcause of you and all great artists here that hv some great suggestions for my work.. thx to you too karen. :) . i m glad you can enjoy this painting.. rich..nice to meet you. thx you for your appreciation.. :) . i m glad join to this great forum..
meili_darmasetiawan