A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Portrait drawing

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Portrait drawing

Postby goldenvenus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:27 pm

These two drawings are my favorites that i have done so far i hope you like them.
Attachments
small5.jpg
small5.jpg (62.39 KiB)
small3.jpg
This is my first Girl & Guy portrait.
small3.jpg (66.03 KiB)
goldenvenus

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby jaylewis718 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 pm

very nice drawings i see you talent hope to see more
jaylewis718

Postby nigelartist » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:47 am

The second is nice but I think you should pencil in the missing eyes on the first.

Lovely, subtle shading though.
nigelartist

Postby Danny Heim » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:06 am

they both look very nice. the eye pupil might be a little strong, but ohterwise very professional
Danny Heim

Postby goldenvenus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Thank you all for your coments i am glad you guys like them. :D
goldenvenus

Postby karate0kat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:21 pm

These are nice faces as well. The proportions aren't bad, although I slightly question, in the first pic, the man's right eye (his right, our left). I'm not sure that much of it would be showing at that angle, but I could be wrong.

I think you have a really good start here, you show an aptitude for portraits I think you should continue to explore. My suggestion for continuing to improve would be to start working on more contrast. Maybe the pictures aren't giving good accuracy, but on my screen they look fairly evenly toned. There are a few really dark spots (the pupils) but most of it is very gray. The wider range of tones you use the more finished a drawing will look. It can be scary, 'cause once you start using very dark tones it's hard to erase and fix mistakes, and you might screw up a few pieces, but practice makes perfect and it's worth it in the end.

Something I used to do that you might enjoy, is in addition to making these full drawings, find some pictures of individual features. Eyes, mouth, nose, ears. Just practice drawing those over and over. See how much detail you can start to get, how much more comfortable you get with darker shading. It's just bits and pieces, not a full piece, so it's less frustrating when you screw something up and can't fix it and have to start over.
karate0kat

Postby goldenvenus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks i can see how that will help me put more detail and a wider variety in shading. Al though I think part of the problem was the #2 pencil I have been using but I already whent to the store and bought some charcoal pencils of different tones.
goldenvenus

Postby youngmoons » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:35 am

Great start, I must to say xD
Beautiful compositions :>
European capital of culture
Vilnius `09
youngmoons