A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Stone Painting "Wolf in Snowstorm"

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Stone Painting "Wolf in Snowstorm"

Postby bergina » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:41 pm

Stone painting I completed many years ago of a wolf in a snowstorm. I have recently thought about doing something a little different with the snow ( little more depth) and perhaps a few subtle things to the wolf but since decided not to re –work this or any of my earlier paintings. They are a visual record of my artistic journey. It has been so much fun. This is flat river stone, about 2" thick, very hard and heavy but once cut and ground down, great to paint on. The entire piece is approximately 18" height and wood base; 16" wide. Any comments always appreciated.
Al
Attachments
wolf #1-1.jpg
wolf #1-1.jpg (71.87 KiB)
bergina

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby BAReam » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Al... very nice piece. As you presented it; make me feel as though I'm inside the wolf's den looking out and the wolf is wondering what the h__l I'm doing in his home. Well done.

all the best... Bruce
BAReam

Postby bergina » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks Bruce,
Al
bergina

Postby bergina » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:22 pm

Thanks Bruce,
Al
bergina

Wolf

Postby nigelartist » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:36 am

OK

First of all I would use a different background colour as itr appears to me as if I am in a cave and the wolf is trying to come in.

Maybe that's your intention.

Check out warm/cool colour theory.

Apart from that good piece of realism!
nigelartist

Postby bergina » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Nigelartist,
Thanks for taking the time to comment on one of my early paintings.
The dark outline is the
own outside cedar of my house (outdoor light, can’t beat it for digital shot)). Not sure what color you had in mind as you never mentioned. A softer grayer more neutral color might have been better but I doubt it and am not looking for it and would never use it. I personally like the way the actual stone painting contrasts against the backdrop and wouldn’t change a thing. I could definitely work with your cave theory even though that is not what I see here at all. As far as cool, warm color theory, not quite sure what you are referring to? I live and die by the color wheel, know it upside down, backwards and inside out. Is there some book you were referring to relating to color theory? I did an internet search and didn’t find anything that Ididn't already know. As I previously said, I like the cool blues contrasting against the warm dark
owns. Thanks for your realism comment as that was, is and will always be an important aspect of my past and hopefully any future work. This post and all my next few posts will be about the stone, not the backdrop.
Al
Last edited by bergina on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergina

Postby BYart » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:48 pm

Al,
very nice piece! I can see by your "re-visitng comments" and what your thoughts on this piece are today, are as I would be inclined as well.

But...I'm with you, in your decision to leave it as is...it is very nicely done and I love the fact that it is a stone painting...so representative of how better to reflect one of nature's most interesting, powerful, and grossly(by some) misunderstood animal! WELL DONE!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

cool/warm colour theory

Postby nigelartist » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Cool colours recede into the picture whereas warm colours advance.

Therefore to make a painting be the focal point we have to use suitable colours around it such that in their own right they are nice yet don't monopolise the painting.

OK!
nigelartist

Postby bergina » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Nigelartist,
Thanks,
bergina

Postby 357Lady » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Wonderfully done Al. Isn't it great to look back at your past work & see where you are now? :wink:

I can understand why you'd be tempted to put more depth into the snow..but like you said. Why change it? Leave what you created in the past as is..and forge onward. Looking back to where we were is part of the fun & adventure of being an artist.

I don't understand the comments on the background color. I think it all works wonderfully together & your realism is spot on for the wolf.

Thanks for sharing one of your older works. I love that this was painted on a rock & the way you incorporated it all together. Very nice!

JGradt
357Lady

Postby xxbreezy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:42 am

You never seize to amaze me Al!!! I just love this!! You have such talent and I love the colors that you use. Soft and subtle!!! Great Job!! I'm working on a series of 3 golf pictures. Posted one in Be Gentle and still working on the second. I have learned alot from you Al....people should pay attention to you...you are a true leader and teacher!!!
xxbreezy

Postby bergina » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:49 pm

xx
eezy ,
Thanks as always for your nice comments. Anything posted from here on would probably have been painted 8 to 12 years ago. However I would still include them in any art show that I might have today.
I'll definitely check out your new golf painting.
Thanks,
Al
bergina

Don't believe it!!

Postby BAReam » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Al... don't believe that all you will be showing will be from 8-12 ago. I'm certain that one of these days we'll see a NEW piece. Myself and many others will be pullin/prayin for you!! :D Keep the faith!

Oh, yah: might take my previous (PM) comments with a grain of salt... as I was in an extremely bad mood, and may have taken a couple comments out of context a bit... ok?

all the best; always...
uce
BAReam

Postby bergina » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:47 pm

357lady,
Thanks for your nice comment on the stone painting and also acknowledging my decision not to touch my past. My many stone works, aside from the actual acrylic paint, was nothing like creating a canvas painting. There were so may other challenges and skills required. I so much enjoyed my 4 years of stone work.
Al
bergina

Postby bergina » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:51 pm

BAReam,
Think I will read this probably 100 times or more over the next month.
Thanks Bruce,
Al
bergina

Postby xxbreezy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:07 am

Its just good to have you back Al....even if you never look at another thread...lol!!! Just you posting here makes me know that you are looking forward to painting again. Your esteem still seem to be in tact and we all are looking forward to many more of your paintings. You have led me in the right many times when I was sure what to do and you are a very good teacher of art!!! We all have learned from you. I's like to see more of your older stuff.....like revisiting an old friend isn't it!!! Take Care!!!
xxbreezy

Postby bergina » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Hey Bruce,
Not sure what the comments “out of context” means as I was totally cool with everything you said and have always enjoyed reading your opinion.
Al
bergina

Postby roxy-foxy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Al,
Literally and figuratively I think this is a very cool painting. Your choice of the rock is vey good and the blue background suits it very well. It looks as if the wolf is inside a block of ice and the snow on its head makes it yet more exciting. :wink:

Anelia
roxy-foxy

Postby bergina » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:27 pm

. Anelia,
Very interesting perspective on this stone painting. It's nice when someone (as proficient as yourself) interrupts a different and more interesting direction than was initially intended. Most realism is pretty cut and dry, as most people see what was intended.
Thanks,
Al
bergina

Postby roxy-foxy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:30 pm

You are wellcome!

Anelia
roxy-foxy