A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Workin on the photoshoppin skills

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Workin on the photoshoppin skills

Postby nina » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:44 pm

My sister is an aspiring photographer, so we work in tandem often on shoots. Its sort of glamor/fashion/representational/experimentation. These photos are tests from the last two. She uses me as a guinea pig frequently, so I'm in most of these. I will give her the feedback on the photos and would like critique on the photoshopping.
Attachments
caila1.jpg
We like to go to the big state park around here and work in the natural light
caila1.jpg (68.83 KiB)
cailame1.jpg
My roomate and I after a "long exhausting mission"
cailame1.jpg (101.13 KiB)
me1.jpg
Its meant to be a little more natural...being a part of the environment...yet looking out from it. Ya know in an etheral, longing for something sort of way?
me1.jpg (39.74 KiB)
nina

Postby DLKeur » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:34 pm

Top one is excellent. The others are too obviously staged.
DLKeur

Photoshop tips

Postby Ana M Berry » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:32 pm

I really like the first and third however I would diffuse the background or blurr it.This would
ing your subjects out more!
I will post an exaample.
Ana M Berry

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Nina, I like the top one best. The time of day, The light the way it is hitting the water. And the pose and look on the face of the girl. The overall look of the photo covays a nice warm feeling. The 2nd photo. In this one the girls look like thier poseing for the photo. They don,t look as though they are really hunting. The dirt on one of the girls face looks as thought it was put on for the sake of the photo. Also, the girls are to neat and clean. So this photo does not fulfill it,s intention. The 3rd photo is better than the 2nd. But not near as nice as the 1st. The girl is ofcourse posed. But she is pose well and the photo itseft is well taken.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Photoshop tips

Postby Ana M Berry » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:06 pm

Here are some examples of what I was talking about.
Attachments
caila1_102_enhanced.jpg
A few layers blurred
caila1_102_enhanced.jpg (144.7 KiB)
me1_113redux.jpg
A layer of "fog" and the smart blur filter.
me1_113redux.jpg (111.84 KiB)
Ana M Berry

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:00 am

I like 'em all, even the girls with the machete and rifle.
Very humorous. E
ehoeveler

working on photoshopping skills

Postby IRMA BACKELANT » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:29 pm

ist photo: nice side lighting, the hair is especially nicely lite. Move model away from trees so hair stands out more. Water is too "hot" -
ight and sky is blown out. Use neutral density graduated filter to control this when shooting - can't correct in photoshop very well. Also use poloraizing filter for water reflection. Use fill flash to face isn't so "flat" in color.
2nd ditto on skyt and water as above
crop in tighter. Eye wants to go to reflection of water and trees ( which are quite nice) but compete for focal point of girls. I like the positioning and intertwining of bodies. Girl on left needs to open eyes to capture glint in them and there is too much glare on machette. Use fill flash on face and flash at angles to face away from camera if possible ( slave flash)
3rd: turn head more to eliminate shadow on neck and hot spots on neck, soften lighting. Lighten or eliminate tree in background, crop, shoot tighter for portraits. Try shooting in early morning or late afternoon when sun is not so
ight and for softer colors.
Shooting skills needs to be honed a little.Learn to use filters and fill flash even in daylight.
Initially good
. Nice compositions -portraits are very difficult to do.
Use gradient filter ( in layers pallette) to "fix" water and sky glare.
IRMA BACKELANT

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury