A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New Sketch: Beach Sunset

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

New Sketch: Beach Sunset

Postby xxbreezy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:31 am

Just finishing this one and thought I'd share it! Comments/critiques are welcome.
Attachments
HPIM2008.jpg
Beach Sunset
HPIM2008.jpg (111.41 KiB)
xxbreezy

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 am

It's very nicely finished. I just miss something in the foreground, some sign of life I think, maybe driftwood or some seashells being washed out...Other than that, beautiful.
Erika Takacs

Mai Tai

Postby Carmelo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:49 pm

Looks like a great place to sip on a Mai Tai.
Carmelo

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby beautifulbay » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:28 am

omg...we just got a winter storm here and have about 3 feet of snow, and it's still blowing...I'd give anything to jump into this picture!...and take Ella with me...I would love to ride on the beach!!
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
CREATE~ Lose yourself in your own world ~ Just do it because you love it!
beautifulbay

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Thanks everybody....I thought it was missing something too...thats why the "black fence" Its cold here too margaritta and sandles on the beach sounds wonderful....lol!! Thanks again
xxbreezy

Postby Robertcoco » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:57 pm

I like how you did your palm trees... good job. :D
Robertcoco

Postby xxbreezy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:25 am

Thanks alot for all the great comments!!
xxbreezy

Postby bergina » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:37 pm

I am not sure what your goals are for this work but it certainly has some great potential. You mentioned sketch however, there is color so I assume this is a painting. If you don't mine some constructive hints here is the deal from my side of the
ush.
I love the back-lit sun as it immediately creates depth in the work. However, you have to be careful to paint the mid -ground and foreground with the same thought in mind and always be aware of the depth aspect. Your sketching/ drawing is very good. Remember, this is a painting and most viewers only care about your use skill in using color as you are a “painter" and it will be assumed that this will be accurate.
For your painting to portray the illusion of real depth, your foreground colors have to be much stronger than the mid and background. Because you have back lit this painting which looks so good, it makes things a little more difficult. The color of your forground palm tree, wharf and tree are all the same intensity of black. The tree in the front is actually much less in color intensity than all others.
You need to buy a color wheel that explains the relationship between all the primary colours. This is what I did.
Of course this is only my humble opinion, but believe me , I have walked the walk.
However, when someone gives you a cittique like this , you should always check out their work . Here is my on line reference
Google " Yessy Al Bergin gallery " .
bergina

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:48 am

I have no problem with constructive critism at all and I accept it gracefully when said as nice as you have said it. All my sketches as pastels, charcoal, pencil, or graphite. Nothing is painted..just to clear that up. Now...this was my first sketch at blending the "back lite sun" and blending it into the forground to complete the picture. The middle of the picture seemed to cause me a little more aggravation because I couldn't seem to get the movement of the ocean and the colors to blend exactly the way I wanted. It all just didn't seem to flow nicely together as I completed this sketch. I think perhaps I rushed putting in the beach pier, tiki hut and palms without thinking of how this sketch would "finish" out after that. I just like that "black" on a sunset sketch but perhaps wasn't the best idea here. I probably, at that point, should have set it aside and picked it back up when I wasn't so frustrated...lol!! There are several flaws I can see in the sketch and being the first one I have done like this....I appreciate you trying to help with the color scheme and how to make it flow back to front gracefully. I couldn't exactly put my finger on what the problem was with the colors of the ocean and I think you just pin-pointed that for me. Thank you so much and will be glad to check out your work.
xxbreezy

Postby KarinPavlic » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:23 pm

More or less everything was already said so I will just add that I like the colors you choose.
Taking a
eak when you get frustrated is actualy smart. I often regret to not doing so.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
KarinPavlic