A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

First introduction - I feel so privileged

Are you new to A Singular Creation? Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

First introduction - I feel so privileged

Postby the_pm » Mon May 15, 2006 2:24 am

Hello world :)

My name is Paul Hirsch, and I am one of the admins for A Singular Creation Community Forums. I'm here mostly as a technical contact, since I have some experience with modifying and skinning the software being used (phpBB). I also agreed to help out with some of the moderation duties here and there, and maybe, just maybe, contribute a semi-intelligent thought or two along the way :)

In real life, I'm a Web developer from Canton, Ohio. I grew up in Cleveland Heights, went away to college at Kent State University, and ended up in Canton, which is actually working out pretty well for me. I'm married, have zero kids, one dog and two cats, and my lovely wife Amy is a nurse (working the night shift right now, I might add).

In addition to helping out here, I'm a co-founder and an administrator of the International Web Developers Network and a moderator on WebHostingTalk.com (the largest hosting industry community on the net - it's quite sizable).

In all that free time I have lying around (I work roughly 60-80 hours per week), I enjoy golfing, taking in movies with my wife, trying out new restaurants, and when I have enough time, I might get in a workout on the judo mats here and there (funny how the most rigorous exercise is the first to get cut when you live a busy life :roll: ). I used to shoot pool competitively, and I've bowled a few 300 games in my past. Basically, I'm pretty decent with any sport that requires minimal athletic endurance, I like to eat and I spend about 2/3 of my waking time at a computer. There's a recipe for heart disease if I ever saw one! But I do enough fitness on the side to maintain respectable health - could probably be better, could definitely be worse.

My connection with the art world is limited, but existent. In some ways, I'm an artist within my trade. Coding work is certainly an art form and often quite creative. The visual design aspects of what I do involve a respectable amount of creativity too, as one might imagine. I've been a pianist my whole life, and I compose on the side. So while not a visual artist, I consider myself to be a performing artist. My grandfather, Jules Halfant, made a living as an artist (Google him if you care), and my
other has maintained his artistry, even as a creative consultant (he's been a painter/sculpter since I was a child). My sister was an accomplished potter at one time, though I'm not sure if she still has a wheel.

So there you have it! I'm not expecting a stellar response to this post, since we're just getting things underway, but I'm thrilled to be the first, and hopefully this will set a precedent for interesting, insightful introductions from others in the future.

If you really want to know more, my personal Web site is PaulHirsch.com.

Happy posting, everyone :)
the_pm

Postby Singular » Mon May 15, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey Paul,
I can't believe you beat me.

I just wanted to say that you did a great job helping me with the design of these forums, definitely the best looking forum I've seen.

You are the man.

My utmost thanks and regards to you and your family.

Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby the_pm » Tue May 16, 2006 3:31 pm

Glad to help Joe. You were quite generous in return :)

This was the toughest skinning job I've ever done in my life, no doubt about that! We're still working out some little kinks, but overall, it's pretty close to being done!
the_pm