A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Hello from Milwaukee, WI

Are you new to A Singular Creation? Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from Milwaukee, WI

Postby rickcitta » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:08 pm

:| I've never accessed this part of the web world before. Just surfed, read, and printed my research and explorations. I am a pastelist who also does murals, wall finishes and has a seasonal day job as a home improvement sales rep. Right now I am layed off due to the winter season. Day job pays the bills, well, some of them. Presently I have no idea what I'm to do after I type this. Would like to connect with other artists and find out how in the heck to make a decent living as an artist. This is my 8th yr. in my own art business still looking to make a profit. I still am at it because it is my passion and I'm very stubborn about my gifting. My wife thinks I'm crazy for continuing on. All of what I've read and heard thus far on making it work takes some bucks, good timing and a lucky connection with the right person or company...and that hasn't happened yet. Shoestring budget at best for advertising. I've researched for this seemingly magical answer for a long time now. Of course your art has to be up to snuff. Check out my site and tell me what you think please. My website is www.a-boveandbeyond.com Love to hear some unique ideas and how to turn things around. Thanks,
Rick Citta - email, rcitta@wi.rr.com
rickcitta

Postby Singular » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Hey Rick,
Welcome aboard. I tell you what; you do have talent. But you are right, sometimes a connection is more important than anything. It is a damn tough business to make a living. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you will catch your
eak. Until then, getting ideas from others on how to utilize your talents may help. There may be something that you weren't quite thinking of. You look like you have a nack for interior painting and faux. That could be a very good way to combine your skill with a way to supplement your income. Work faux painting into murals or vice versa.

Anyway, nice to have you. Look forward to bouncing some ideas back and forth.
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby rickcitta » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:50 pm

Thanks Joe for the quick reply. Appreciate your thoughts and comments. I too am looking forward to future communications and idea exchanges. Best wishes to you and your art endeavors also.
rickcitta

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:04 pm

Hi Rick,

Welcome to this site, I think you'll like it! I can relate to your frustration, 8 years is a lot, but you shouldn't give up. Try to explore the net as a marketing tool. There are many sites that offer interesting solutions even for someone on a limited budget.

Your website is very nice and easy to navigate, but I feel on the home page you should post a much stronger work of yours, there are many.
Your pastels are beautiful, I like "At the Beach" and "Ghost Ranch"very much. Your faux finishes are very nice also, and I loved your floor mosaic and the circles above the fireplace. But some of your commissioned murals are not very good...I don't know...they almost look like a different person made them. You probably had to adjust to your clients taste. Hope you don't mind my opinion, I'm trying to be honest.

All the best to you, keep doing what you like most,
Erika
Erika Takacs

New Member Welcome

Postby avlearay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:47 am

Welcome Rick!

Your frustration is common among artists. I have been creating art since I was a teenager and I can relate to the "starving artist "line all too well.

I think you will enjoy this site very much, a fellow artist is never too far away to provide you with an outlet and a way to share with others who enjoy the same passions as you do.

I look forward to seeing your work.

Lea
avlearay

A sincere Welcome!

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:09 pm

Your work is great...
I can honestly say that I have only met a few artists that don't have to do anything but their art. Most have the proverbial Bill-paying Job to help.. Even those who do Art in their day job, still have one.

But you have the right thought in mind.. networking with other artists and the like is great, if anything to help bounce ideas, spark inspiration and / or help keep you motivated..

I wish you the best...
Take care and Brightest Blessings.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

a million of us in the same boat..

Postby tragik » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:00 pm

so what is it that keeps many of us in the dredge of constant work and cloudy futures with this talent?
I know what your talking about all too well, although my art career has just begun, it seems to me that it isnt fit for this financail world at times.
But thats exactly why so many artists drop out day after day,... not a day goes by i have a nervous thought about, "should i keep going?"

Yes i do have a dayjob, it pays some bills but im not floating just yet. My free time is used to push my work, i mean at times i feel as though im trying to sell drugs or something, a hustler trying to convince the public to feed my belly.

The truth is that no matter what hard or good times i've been through, my art has been there to be my pride and therapy. Im completely in love with it. if i die tomorrow, i die a successful man, to move forward is the only thing that matters, do what you love.

I hope my honesty wont harm you, but when it comes to the business of art, there come requirements and expectations. i hate this but this is the business end. the trick is to do what you love and be able to play with their rules, just a bit, enough to be able to look yourself in the mirror with respect.

email me with your reply, also perhaps we can come together on some projects or whatever.
together we are stronger.
rod@rodrigopradel.com
my website, tell ME what you think..
http://www.rodrigopradel.com
http://studiopradel.blogspot.com/[/url]
tragik

Postby Cywynd » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:54 pm

Hi Rick!
Great stuff on your website...though I could never afford you! :wink:
Have you considered showing your works at street fairs and such? Many local artists do this quite successfully around the Bay Area.
Just a thought!
Cywynd
Cywynd

Return to New Member Introductions