A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Dedication to creating- one for 5/17 uploaded.

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Dedication to creating- one for 5/17 uploaded.

Postby BYart » Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 am

Hi All,
I've decided to focus on Horses for awhile. I need more practice in their form, and so i've decided to try and do one painting a day :shock: .
There is a method to my madness, as i hope one day to be good enough at rendering horses, to be able to get commissions from the race horse owners at the track in Ruidoso, when I finally make it back there!
These will be small, 8 x 10's, using pastel.
I will use this thread to post each day(I hope that's OK Joe), so as not to clog up the Fury forum :lol: . I'm doing this mainly for self discipline. I find I tend to "think" more about creating a particular piece(for weeks sometimes), and this will force me to get down to business. By having this thread, I will feel more like I will have to do as I've stated, it will keep me on track.
So, starting with today,
I actually did this one yesterday, in one day.
May 6th-
A Bay horse, I had the pleasure of photographing years ago in AZ. I was at a dog show, and they had a horse show nearby. didn't get the
eed or this guy's name, but he sure caught my eye.
8 x10 Pastel on Ampersandbord.
Attachments
Bay horse small.jpg
Bay horse small.jpg (180.01 KiB)
Last edited by BYart on Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Barb, I really likeing the look of your hourses. And with the way some people feel about thier hourses. You could really get set up on a good thing.
Did you placed the eye of the hourse in the center of the work on purpose. Or did it just come out that way.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby E_B_A » Fri May 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Wow... that's well done. I'm always envious of people able to pull off the more realistic type of art like this. I like the color and composition and you pull it all with obviously well-trained technique so A+.

My one and only criticism would be perhaps too much negative space at the top and right. Maybe cut a bit off the top of the canvas (which may not be possible, obviously). Aside from that, it's great.

EDIT:

I wouldn't be afraid to cut into the ears and perhaps the muzzle a bit. It would make it look like there's more outside the picture and make the viewer fill the rest in. But then, in my photography, I tend to prefer tight close-ups to headshots so take it all with a grain of salt. There's all sorts of different approaches and tastes out there and I readily admit my feedback is probably going to be disagreed with by many.
SATIRE * SEVS * AB * UNTK * IOF * IBCS * WWW
http://www.shapelessmass.com
Mind your wants, because someone wants your mind.
E_B_A

Postby BYart » Fri May 06, 2011 8:44 pm

johnwalkeasy wrote:Barb, I really likeing the look of your hourses. And with the way some people feel about thier hourses. You could really get set up on a good thing.
Did you placed the eye of the hourse in the center of the work on purpose. Or did it just come out that way.

Thanks John, and yes, the centering of the eye was intentional :lol:
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Fri May 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks EBA for your thoughts! I agree, sometimes a different crop can be very dramatic, or an angle difference can prove more interesting. I have done a few of those in the past and will do more!
But, for this exercise for myself, i need to work on conformation of the horse. If...no scratch that...WHEN I move back home, I want to attempt commissions from the local Race track horse owners. The All American Futurity is held there every year and draws quite alot of top horses and their owners and trainers. These folks pay big $ for having an exact likeness of their prized horses painted, so I'm trying to work on doing more exacting details, etc.
I truly appreciate your input...THANKS.

Now, ha, ha...I'm a day ahead...as i've just finished tomorrow's already...couldn't help it, I'm now driven :twisted:
This is an Arab mare, photo ref. from a fellow artist Daisyree on wetcanvas, from their RIL.
And BTW...I will be having nightmares about chain! :roll: :P That was the hardest part for me...but i figure I need practice on that too! Alot of horse owner's use a more show type halter with a chin curb chain...especially on the Stallions.
Attachments
Arabian Mare small.jpg
Arabian Mare small.jpg (168.67 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Fri May 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Already noticed a problem with this one...the ear on our left is wrong position! :( Will fix! Funny how I didn't notice that until after uploading!
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Sat May 07, 2011 2:36 pm

After stydying EBA's comments, i decided to add a bit of color to the first's BG. I also decided the first horse's form was too "flat" looking and have changed the values to give more depth.
I also fixed the gray mare's ear position and added a bit more tonal change as well. I like them alot better now, hope you agree?
Attachments
Arabian Mare Final small.jpg
Arabian Mare Final small.jpg (189.64 KiB)
Bay Horse final sm.jpg
Bay Horse final sm.jpg (185.95 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby Menolly » Sat May 07, 2011 8:55 pm

They look beautiful! The grey mare is definitely closer to photorealism in terms of style... I like them both, though.
Menolly

Postby oilpainter2247 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:29 am

wonderful work barb ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i love the both of them with there detail and everything wow nice job :>)
oilpainter2247

Postby BYart » Sun May 08, 2011 11:07 am

Menolly wrote:They look beautiful! The grey mare is definitely closer to photorealism in terms of style... I like them both, though.

Thanks menolly. I am definately striving for the more realistic style in my work, though sometimes i wish I could do a looser style. I've tried, but I keep getting hung up in the details! LOL! :roll:
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Sun May 08, 2011 11:11 am

oilpainter2247 wrote:wonderful work barb ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i love the both of them with there detail and everything wow nice job :>)

Thanks again Mike! I'm trying to push myself for the reasons i mentioned. BUT, it has occurred to me that i should be practicing Quarter Horses, and Thorough
eds, instead of the Arabians I'm so very found of. That point hasn't been lost on me. But, with the exception of a few things(large, more muscled rears, less dish type face(muzzle), taller(in the case of Thorough
eds) most horses are pretty much the same conformationally :lol: . So, I will do a few more Arabs, then switch to some action type painting. Thanks for viewing!
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Mon May 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Nope! I haven't been slacking :lol: , just having trouble with this one! I'm finding it a bit difficult to render foliage with pastels, need to practice that more!
This is another pastel 8 x 10, of another Arab Grey...still practicing...guess i'd have to say i'm somewhat satisfied.
I was trying to do a bit of backlighting here, not sure i accomplished my goal...will await your comments.
Thanks!
Attachments
Untitled small 2+.jpg
Untitled small 2+.jpg (197.07 KiB)
Barb

BYart

funny

Postby mcsketcher » Tue May 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Be glad it was only an ear. I've drawn a hand on a person backwards! haha. I was messing with comic style drawing. Personally, i think the white horse looks better. Were it me, on the
own, I would add small dark displays of hair (short small lines). Only sporadically though. Hair/fur is difficult to pull off. It all comes down to light. You continue to have to consider where your light source is coming from and how that will effect every object in the picture. This even comes down to things of lighter colors in opposing positions from the light source/s. Its amazing that a person with a single shaft of light reflecting off of their white shirt can illuminate an entire room. Especially on dark hair... Remember, any toussle of the hair is going to produce sharp lines.. Sporadic, but it will add a lot of depth to the picture. Hopefully i just gave you something. I'm rocking a nice buzz at the moment. I'm not into the same kind of art as you. I never use reference material aside from my memory, though realism is the goal, at least on some level. Thanks for the support but please encourage everyone to rip me a new one. Don't get me wrong, praise is great... but this thing has taken over my life and I'm getting ready to push it. I need to know what problems others see. I see a lot.... Once again, thanks
mcsketcher

Re: funny

Postby BYart » Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 am

mcsketcher wrote:Be glad it was only an ear. I've drawn a hand on a person backwards! haha. I was messing with comic style drawing. Personally, i think the white horse looks better. Were it me, on the
own, I would add small dark displays of hair (short small lines). Only sporadically though. Hair/fur is difficult to pull off. It all comes down to light. You continue to have to consider where your light source is coming from and how that will effect every object in the picture. This even comes down to things of lighter colors in opposing positions from the light source/s. Its amazing that a person with a single shaft of light reflecting off of their white shirt can illuminate an entire room. Especially on dark hair... Remember, any toussle of the hair is going to produce sharp lines.. Sporadic, but it will add a lot of depth to the picture. Hopefully i just gave you something. I'm rocking a nice buzz at the moment. I'm not into the same kind of art as you. I never use reference material aside from my memory, though realism is the goal, at least on some level. Thanks for the support but please encourage everyone to rip me a new one. Don't get me wrong, praise is great... but this thing has taken over my life and I'm getting ready to push it. I need to know what problems others see. I see a lot.... Once again, thanks

Thanks for viewing. I have done alot of fur strokes, light relecting, but didn't consider it necessary on these horses. Horses, in the summer, have a VERY close, fine short coat, it would be difficult to render that fine, short fur.
Here is an a example of "fur" work i've done-
Attachments
Cherry's portrait Final small.jpg
Cherry's portrait Final small.jpg (189.6 KiB)
Barb

BYart

impressive

Postby mcsketcher » Wed May 11, 2011 10:55 am

I'm with you on the whites. The
own, even with a short coat i think there would still be some of those lines. Not to take anything away from you. The dog is impressive. You've definitely got a feel for it.
mcsketcher

Re: impressive

Postby BYart » Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 am

mcsketcher wrote:I'm with you on the whites. The
own, even with a short coat i think there would still be some of those lines. Not to take anything away from you. The dog is impressive. You've definitely got a feel for it.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. If you are "with me on the whites", then you should be with me on the
owns as well. White is very reflective, and when rendering white fur, it is important to remember all the colors around it are reflected in the white. So, subtle use of those colors for the "white" darks or lights is very effective.

I think you are missing my point, it isn't about the color of the coat, it is about the coats length. If you were to stand right beside a horse, in the summer(winter coats this doesn't apply), you would NOT be able to see the fine fur lines w/o a magnifying glass.
Now if this
own horse had a white blaze, you would see the transitioning area of
own to white, with fine lines, like in this one-
Attachments
Spring Foal small+.jpg
Spring Foal small+.jpg (194.29 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Thu May 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Back to topic, I AM working, although my latest is taking more than my challenge of 1 day. So, i'm going to keep at it. i've posted it in the WIP titled "Race to the Finish" http://asingularcreation.com/Forums/vie ... 6973#36973, if anyone is interested in my ongoing dedication.
I think after this one is finished, and posted here(hopefully tomorrow), i am going to try something a bit different for me.
Barb

BYart

Postby krysta11 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Your paintings make me cry. Barb, I have spin in my head when I look at your works. What a Great talent!!! I am very proud to be your friend.
hugs
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby BYart » Fri May 13, 2011 11:51 am

Krysta, thank you!
I have really missed your encouraging words!
I am thinking that my original plan of 1 per day isn't going to work out, as I am too interested in detail....but I suppose it is the dedication to ongoing creation that is important here :P ...still working!
Barb

BYart

Finally!

Postby BYart » Fri May 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Wheehee! Finally finished this one after almost 3 days!
I titled it "Race to the Finish"!
Pastel 10 x 8 on Ampersand Board.
This one, due to it's smaller size, and entire body horse and + rider, and my idiotic side :roll: 8) for a more detailed BG, gave me fits! BUT, I'm very happy with it's Finish!
Picture doesn't due the darks justice, and the colors are more intense in RL.
Hope you will like...but if you don't, or can tell me how i could have improved, would be most welcomed!
Attachments
Race To The Finish Final small.jpg
Race To The Finish Final small.jpg (169.37 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Next