A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

judgement criteria

This is where you need to come to find out what's new with the forums and with A Singular Creation.

Moderator: Moderators

judgement criteria

Postby nonarom » Tue May 06, 2008 10:08 am

I've uploaded 3 files into the "Light and dark" contest, finding them appropriate for this subject. But I don't know anything about the criteria which count on the evaluation of the work. :oops: I'd like to learn more from you people about the quality of an abstract digital work - what are the conditions which make a work to be good, or bad, or mediocre...How could you get experience in that?
Thank you,
Nona :?
nonarom

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: judgement criteria

Postby Jundo » Tue May 06, 2008 3:19 pm

nonarom wrote:I've uploaded 3 files into the "Light and dark" contest, finding them appropriate for this subject. But I don't know anything about the criteria which count on the evaluation of the work. :oops: I'd like to learn more from you people about the quality of an abstract digital work - what are the conditions which make a work to be good, or bad, or mediocre...How could you get experience in that?
Thank you,
Nona :?

Hi Nona,

My god...... What a question!

I guess that's a bit like asking, what is the formula for success or to win in an art competition useing a digital medium.

I guess there is certain criteria based on modern asthetic values, subject matter, composition, lighting, referencing of other successful artists and styles. But I must stress... It can become very hard and confusing looking for such formula's and it usually takes you away from your own style and individuality. I would suggest looking at pictures that are successful and judging why you think they are. But always bare in mind your own syle and the passion that motivates you and your work!

I'n summary.... If you
eak down art into the sum of it's parts and analyse why it's successful... You may as well create a computer program to do it for you and work out the calculations. I suggest that simply trying your very best and doing the type of art that you want to make with sheer passion is the best way to finally achieve a good result. All the greatest artist's are great because they
oke the mold and believed in there own style and more importantly, themselves.

I've been lucky enough to become joint winner of the last competition "a wonderful life". I just drew what came into my head with no real concious thought about how to make it great for the audience. I drew how I wanted to draw, how I wanted to design it and the only rule I applied was that I would'nt faulter on trying my best.

This is simply the best advice I can give (hope it does'nt sound like preaching :P )

I've viewed your work and like you style and more importantly "individuality". Keep that up! It'll take you places! Best of luck!

Jundo
Jundo

Postby nonarom » Wed May 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Thank you a lot Jundo for your answer. You have no idea how happy I am, after I've read your opinions and found that they are exactly like my thinking. I started to draw because I had the urge to discard myself (if you've read some of my descriptions on my images, you realize that I passed a difficult period) and that helped me a lot. I didn't know that my images would have ever being seen by anybody. I didn't even know that this could be ART. Later, when I began to learn more about it, and try to look at the best artists, yes, my works probably improved, but...exactly as you said, I feel like I lost my "originality". You called it "individuality".
So I gave up and I turned back to work for myself, to do what I really need to do and not just to show my work to others. However, it is very nice to share your thoughts with somebody else from time to time.
So, thank you very much again for paying attention to my images and thanks for the encouraging commentaries.
Whish you all the best,
Nona
nonarom

Return to Announcements