A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Next Up: A Murder of Crows

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Next Up: A Murder of Crows

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:00 pm

I had six paintings planned for this year, with the first one down (the Tempest) it's on to the next. Here's the cartoon drawn up for it.

"A Murder of Crows" 20x30. I'll be applying the first layers of paint this weekend. If I don't forget I'll add some progress shots on to completion.

painterx@hotmail.com

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Next Up: A Murder of Crows

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:11 pm

I had a print made of my drawing and then mounted it on an aluminum panel in preparation for painting.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 pm

Here is where I am at after one week. Blocked in colors and then began working n on the background.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby Singular » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:00 am

Nice! I have a good feeling about this one.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks. I'm crossing my fingers. The sky is giving more troubles than I thought it would.
painterx@hotmail.com

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:24 pm

About a week later. Sky 90% done, angel figure 50%. Working some on rock ledge, as well.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:09 pm

A few days later.

Figure 90% done. Wings 50%. Crows will be last.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 am

Quite dramatic and beautiful. Hope you take care of her right knee. The dark spot kind of looks like a wound.
CarlOwen

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:15 am

Yeah, the model doesn't have great knees. Didn't really notice it until I started on the painting. The whole leg is giving me all sorts of grief, not just the knee.
painterx@hotmail.com

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Know what you mean. Been there, done that. I am sure you will figure it out. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.
CarlOwen

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Okay, just finished. Though I might make a touch-up here or there in the next week,

20x30, oils.

Up close on the face..

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Nice job on the knee. Kudos! Now, I don't think you are quite finished. Take a strong look at the bottom fleshy part of her left stretched out calf. The calf extends to far into the knee cap and to deep into the ankle. I think it needs some minor adjustment in shaving the calf size just a little thinner and tone down the highlight a little to reduce the importance of that part of the form. As it is now, I find it distracting and somehow looking out of place. Otherwise, a great looking work of fantasy art, and done in oil rather than digital. Kudos again!
CarlOwen

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Carl,

It may be I didn't get the fore-shorting correct or it could be my photo of the painting (I plan to photograph it again), it doesn't seem to be a problem as I look at it in the studio. It will stay as it is for now, I was working on another painting concurrently with this one and have moved on to it. Maybe I'll go back and reexamine what you're saying? But do appreciate the input.

As for the knee, the model has a flat knee when bent, so I replace it with a rounded one (mine, lol). While a minor problem and you can't really tell at first, her legs are a little thick, which might account for the other problem you've mentioned. I dunno. Thanks again.
painterx@hotmail.com

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:42 pm

Good evening. Thank you for taking my comments seriously. I am honored. Moving on. Yes her legs are thick, but I think that is what actually grounds her figure in this painting. As to using your knee, good for you to do what needs to be done to get the form needed. It looks very good in this painting given all the action and different light sources. I am sure you work from photos of your models as references for forms, shapes and shadows. Kind of to bad a model can't stay in a position for the time needed. Probably, never could. Could be why the masters did so many sketches. In that regard we modern artists are blessed with a camera. But, I have found that a photo presents a trap. You can be sucked into painting the photo thereby making a copy that is D.O.A. and lose the vibrancy of oil presenting originality in form description and overall visual impact. Just saying. Have thrown a few away because of falling into that trap. The other idea I had about that leg was to just reduce the shine just a little so that it does not stand out to much. Going to stop for now and can't wait to see your new work.
CarlOwen

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 am

Hi Carl,

Yeah, I use photos and probably photograph half of the reference shot myself. I have a closet full of costumes, lol. That said, I try to make changes in the drawing stages keeping in mind the concept that was originally in my head as the actual goal, not the photograph. While I have no problems with stylized representations of things (specifically the human form) I strive to be as accurate as possible and not let the fantasy genre (which appeals to me) pull me towards stylizing my figures. Admittedly, if I did this it would let me get away with some distortions, but I want to express fantasy as realistically as possible, oxymoronic as that sounds. And as you observe, many of the poses in fantastical imagery are not the type that live models can hold for long periods, hence the reliance on photo reference. Nearly every fantasy artist I know has to deal with this issue, it's the unfortunate nature of the beast.
painterx@hotmail.com

Postby RedStar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Nice! You made a great job!
RedStar

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Thank-you.
painterx@hotmail.com