A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Self-Portrait

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Self-Portrait

Postby IgnitedDreams » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Hello there! I'm a high school freshman and an aspiring artist. Any tips and feedback are much appreciated. Don't be shy; I can handle any critique. I really want to improve.

Medium: colored pencil on cold-press watercolor paper
Attachments
IgnitedDreams

Re: Self-Portrait

Postby Singular » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:31 am

This is good work. I can see you do have a good concept of facial anatomy/structure and shading. Now it is time to work on fine details. The eyes and ears could use a bit more refining. Underneath the eyes in the socket, will be darker. Above the eyes will have highlights. Also, go that extra mile to add in the finishing touches to make it pop.

I look forward to seeing more.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby IgnitedDreams » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 am

Singular wrote:This is good work. I can see you do have a good concept of facial anatomy/structure and shading. Now it is time to work on fine details. The eyes and ears could use a bit more refining. Underneath the eyes in the socket, will be darker. Above the eyes will have highlights. Also, go that extra mile to add in the finishing touches to make it pop.

I look forward to seeing more.

Thank you very much! I will keep that in mind next time I work on a portrait. Your advice is much appreciated and will be used :D
IgnitedDreams

Postby smoltenvengeance » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:32 am

Impressive! Its is in desperate need of a background though, something that contrasts the colors used but also represents what you are like in person. Just my thought haha
smoltenvengeance

Postby IgnitedDreams » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am

smoltenvengeance wrote:Impressive! Its is in desperate need of a background though, something that contrasts the colors used but also represents what you are like in person. Just my thought haha

Thank you! I didn't give it a background because I was encouraged to abandon the piece by my family, but perhaps I will go back and add a background.
IgnitedDreams

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:30 pm

An artist stops a work when he/she feels its complete. I don't mind so much that it doesn't have a background. I would however, like attention to blending consistency throughout the work - you have really rich color with minimal breakup in some areas, and really grainy texture in others. This gives the work a feeling of being rushed, or incomplete. Also, I agree with refining those details 'Singular' mentioned as well. Even a bit more time to focus on the minute forms will surprise you I think. :) Its on the right track, keep it going!

On a side note - about the medium: You used watercolor paper - which has lots of texture, since you have a familiarity with colored pencils - might I suggest getting watercolor colored pencils. I find they blend better, and you can dip-soak the tips of the pencil to soften the color, and really get rich tones.. OR you can use a damp brush, etc., to blend the already applied color on the paper. Experiment a bit on a separate paper before applying it to a work; you may find you enjoy them.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)