A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Newest Wildlife Painting

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Newest Wildlife Painting

Postby Pooch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Imagewindows screenshot

Decided to challenge myself a bit. I've never painted an underwater scene so I figured, let's try it. And I always see things after I post them that I hadn't noticed. I'll have to get rid of some of that green underpainting around the otter's paws. Still, I'm happy with the results.
Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Newest Wildlife Painting

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:39 am

Very nice. I prefer sharp edges in the color boundaries in the foreground while I see you prefer to keep it soft. A painting a day? Let me know when you burn out. There is no way I could or would do a painting a day. There are times I think through for hours on a section of a painting without even touching it. I need to determine the color intensity, value, what kind of knife stroke I want and the depth of the texture before I even pick up the knife. And, sometimes it comes in a flurry without any apparent thought at all. I see this is brush work. I like the organization of movement with the otter, salmon and minnow. Also, nice color transfer between the salmon and the rocks just beneath. I assume this is acrylic. Is it?
CarlOwen

Re: Newest Wildlife Painting

Postby Pooch » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:04 am

Oh no. I didn't mean that I painted this in a day. I'm simply painting every day. This took about four days from start to finish. And I did more pre paint drawing on this one than I usually do. I wanted to get the composition right.
And no, not acrylics. Oils. Looks like acrylics? Is that a good or a bad thing? Lol!
Oh, and that softness in the foreground is an attempt at giving the viewer some feeling of being beneath the water. I thought it called for a little bit of murkiness. Thanks for the comments and for looking.
Pooch