A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Carl Owens, look what you made me do!

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Carl Owens, look what you made me do!

Postby Pooch » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:27 am

Imageupload jpgcertificity.com

Carl is a frequent contributor, here, and he and I have commented on each others works. He likes to paint with a pallet knife and I started becoming interested in the technique.
I've been wanting to try my hand at it for some time. I watched some tutorials on you tube and said, "Okay, it's time to try this."
Here's my first attempt. It's a terrific way to paint and I will be pursuing this further. I really enjoyed it. It works perfectly with my style. I like the way the colors stay truer, because you aren't constantly trying to clean your brush. I never seem to clean them well enough and often get muddy colors.
Also, it's just perfect for working out side. No water or solvents to take with you. I use the colors right out of the tube and then a quick wipe with a rag and you are ready with the next hue. Wonderful. And you can work very quickly because you aren't constantly cleaning off you brushes. This is only two and a half hours worth of work. Might have gone faster with a better knife. I used a cheap plastic pallet knife that came with some brushes that I bought.
Anyway, keep in mind that this was just an experiment and not meant to be a polished piece of art. I recommend, to every painter, that you need to try this if you haven't as yet.
Thanks for looking.
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Carl Owens, look what you made me do!

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:51 am

Just getting ready to post my latest update for Grand Canyon V when I took a detour to check out this latest entry. I have a few things to say. First, be careful about not having a dominate color. This looks about half and half. The half and half thing caught my attention first. Bad thing. The first thing that should have caught my attention was the beauty of the painting. While perfect summitry is considered a beautiful quality in the human face and form, it is not so much desirable in a landscape painting.

Second, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA. Welcome aboard. I need not say anything more about your pallet knife experience.

However, third. Buy the expensive pallet knifes that are found at Hobby Lobby. One knife will cost as much as a set of knives on Amazon.com. The expensive ones are thin and more flexible. That is a very important issue. You will find out about that as you work with the knives.

Forth. My last name is Owen. There is a deceased Carl Owens artist out of Chicago, Ill. His work and mine are co-mingled in the online searches. His work is exceptional, but in my opinion, limited. Mine has not yet found a landing, so to speak.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Glad I made you laugh! Lol! Thanks for the comments. When you say "half and half," do you mean having the horizon run across the center of the painting?
I was more concerned about technique than composition. But that's a good thing to remember. I think that I was so excited about trying something new that I wasn't thinking about anything else. Even when doing a study we should remember the basic rules so we don't get into bad habits.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Glad I made you laugh. The half and half I referred to was half blue and half green. Got to be careful about color dominance. Visual horizontal planes constantly violate the one third rule. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. It depends on what is presented and how it is presented.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:03 pm

Ah yes! I see it. Makes for a rather boring composition, actually, the more I look at it. Amateurish, in a way. Okay, I won't let the style I'm painting in blind me to everything else from now on.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Glad you see it. Sometimes I receive a critique about something and it takes me days to see it, if at all. As an aside, we can accept the critique or not, simply because we are our own bosses. Kind of nice. Look forward to seeing your next one.
CarlOwen

Postby Derexbrown » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:40 am

beautiful land
Derexbrown

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:29 pm

You two are a kick! Looking good Pooch...

If I were to comment it would be more directed to the sky vs the water. Water: Decide if the water has movement you want to capture... if so, follow that though and demonstrate the current. If not, if stagnant and mirror-esque (is that a word?)... then be mindful of "What" should be in that reflection ... light included.

I bring that up because of the texture and variation conflicts between the sky and water in the present image.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Pooch » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks for taking a look Jenn. I was more concerned with trying to get the hang of that damn knife, which I'm hung up on now. I probably should have concentrated a bit on making a better picture, admittedly, if I was going to show it.
Yes, it's not very good.But I promise, I really can paint better than that. No, really! Cross my heart and hope to die! I did a much better job on the reflections in my painting of Lake Macy Park that I showed in another post.
By the way, is that a picture of you? You're awfully cute.
Hopefully my wife won't see this post.
Pooch

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:43 am

I never said it was "not very good" far from it... it has an impressionist feel - so generally its fine...
Just has a contrast of light and pattern that I noticed. reconcile those - and you will be fine. :)

yes that's me... :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)