A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Feedback Requested

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Feedback Requested

Postby JanetsPlanet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:12 pm

]Hello There!

I am new to this site and would like some honest feedback on some of my oil paintings, my work can be found at:
http://www.artofjanetmuller.webs.com

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
JanetsPlanet

Re: Feedback Requested

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:00 pm

First painting. You have a slight issue with anatomy. The top half of the female form is elegant but disproportionate with the bottom half by length. As I see it, the painted form does not allow for fore shorting in only half of the form. Second painting. The head of the mother is to large for the body form. Rather distracting. I would also expect the tail of the child to be shorter and more under developed to enhance the child like quality of the baby.

Other than these things, these are really beautiful whimsical painting that forces the viewer to want to look at them. Hope this helps you. Not everyone on this site has the fortitude to tell the truth for whatever reason.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 pm

P.S. Checked your site. You have some really excellent work there. I don't care for macabre and ghoulish work but I do admit it is well done. Your cartoons remind of some of the work done in the New Yorker magazine.
CarlOwen

Postby JanetsPlanet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:46 am

Thank you, very honest and applicable :)
JanetsPlanet

Postby GoldenFalls » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:07 am

These are very beautiful! The only thing I noticed is that it seems like the larger mermaid should be casting a shadow on the smaller one's tail. Also, it might be a good idea to blur and/or darken/grey the edge of the younger one's tail. Right now it's a point of very high contrast with the dark background and it distracts from the faces and area near the top where there's more detail and you presumably want people to focus.
GoldenFalls

Postby Pooch » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:16 pm

I'm a little late here for this one, but I just saw it. Still, here's my two cents.
You certainly are talented. But I would have to say that you are at your best when working from life. Either live models or photographs. It's the made up, fantasy types, that I think are not as good. Not bad, mind you, just not as good as those pieces that I can see were done from real scenes.
There is an old saying in art (Well, maybe not old) that goes, "Paint with your eyes, not your mind." These are good examples of that. The pieces that are from your head are not quite as good as those where you were painting or drawing from what you saw. Those are terrific and really show your talent.
Pooch