A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My work as Dark Age Design ...

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

My work as Dark Age Design ...

Postby Niall » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:32 pm

For anyone who is interested, I am an Irish illustrator, painter and sculptor. I produce work of a dark and surreal nature. My website is www.darkagedesign.wordpress.com.
Feedback/queries welcome. Email: darkagedesigners@gmail.com

Thanks!
Niall

Re: My work as Dark Age Design ...

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Looked at your website. I am confused. Before I make further comments I have a question. Why would a person who possesses your extraordinary artistic ability choose to do this type of imagery?
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Niall » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:32 pm

Hi.
Thank you for your reply. I explore in my work the darker, hidden side if the human condition. The sides we keep hidden an d refuse to, or dare not look at. I call these grey areas the spaces "between the walls". I am talking about themes of fear, isolation, abandonment, addiction and spiritual bankruptcy. I always had an interest in darker forms of art since a kid but I have learned to refine it. Many people don't understand why so explore these concepts but in my opinion they are just as important to reflect artistically as lighter, more conventional themes. Many thanks for looking and hope that's helps. Niall
Niall

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:52 pm

Good evening Niall. I read your response. I see it as a deflection. What you have said could be said for any type of art form. I appreciate your attempt to explain what you are doing, but you have not answered my question of why. Dig deeper. Your art tells me you can. Does fear stop you, or have you not fully thought it out?
CarlOwen

Postby Niall » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:05 am

Hmm. Now I am the one confused haha. Well, of course this work reflects aspects of myself. I view it like the dream like state, where everyone and everything dreamed represents an aspect if the dreamer. Sometimes I feel it counter productive to delve into the why, incase the why becomes why bother? I know one thing for sure: put me in front of a vase of roses with Apple and wine decanter and that would definitely make me afraid :)

The answer is who knows? I know that in my work the image often presents itself to me rather than the other way round and with that type of connection to what is driving the imagery who am I to question or even attempt to understand why.

Thanks so much for your insights. You probably know more about what I am doing than I do and that is the magic of it.

Niall
Niall

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:51 am

Understood. Dig deeper. For your own good. What you have now told me could be diagnosed as a manic depressive personality with schizoid tendencies enhanced by hallucinations. I don't think that is the case. Your art is to finely developed. I think you were harmed by a "boogie man" at a very young age and have repressed those memories so deep that the only way you can maintain equilibrium is through channeling those repressed memories through art.

So your last parry to deflect my thrust in this word sword play has led you to this small cut. Why do you paint terror?
CarlOwen

Postby Niall » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:50 am

I paint terror because there is much to be terrified of.

I would not really term it terror, although there are pieces that reflect just that.
I think I explore the uneasy relationship we gave with ourselves. We are our own dysfunctional family. We are as fearful at 75 as we were at 5 only we don't know it or refuse to own it.

Do you like the work? I have my first piece going to exhibition this week.
Niall

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:49 am

I see terrific skill from form representation to compositional control of space and color control. I think your paintings with the fluid illusion to represent forms are better than your sketches. I find it an interesting technique, even artistic, by twisting the mind's eye to see human forms in a fluid state. But no, I do not care for your work.
CarlOwen

Postby Niall » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks for your feedback! My work is not for everyone but interestingly those who do like it, do so to the point of infatuation. I am excited for the future
Niall

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:07 am

I wish you well.
CarlOwen