A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

German Shepherd Realism

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

German Shepherd Realism

Postby Eralune » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi friends! This is a colored pencil/watercolor piece I've been working on. The biggest issues I see are the lack of details in the sky, the weirdness of the grass, and the lack of value in the legs and paws. But anyways, please tear this up! Thanks!

Eralune

Re: German Shepherd Realism

Postby www-ksart-se » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi there. That back leg looks off.
www-ksart-se

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Eralune » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:35 pm

www-ksart-se wrote:Hi there. That back leg looks off.

Hello! I agree, but I'm not sure how to fix it...any ideas?
Eralune

Postby Bunny16A » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Even with the lack of detail in some areas, I like how it makes you focus on the dog's face. It is still a beautiful piece of art.
Bunny16A

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby GoldenFalls » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:41 pm

I agree, the hind leg looks too round and also too close to the neck of the dog. I also think it might be too tall.

It might not be the case in the source photo, but try raising the back near the hind leg so that it slopes downwards instead of being flat. That will help it seem like the dog is on a hill and its backside is just higher than its front.

Also, I would try to make the leg seem less round. Coming from the bottom, it curves over the dark markings into almost a choke point. You have it then start another curve into the back, but I think if you go just a little bit up that new curve and then make it slightly concave (instead of round/convex) until you reach the top of the back, it will seem a lot more structured. Probably the thing causing the most problems is the fur grain on the side closest to the edge of the paper. You have it going upwards, but I'm pretty sure it should go up for a tiny bit and then go down-left in a straight or concave line. That will make it seem less like we're seeing the broad ending of a leg and more like we're seeing the thin ending and part of the side of a leg.

I realize you've probably long since finished this picture, but I hope this helps you in future animal portraits!
GoldenFalls