A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Jesus wept - pencil drawing and digital painting

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Jesus wept - pencil drawing and digital painting

Postby horseman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:04 pm

I painted this, but ended up liking my pencil drawing better. In my recent work I am trying to back off on use of the bold lines. However, I am finding this difficult because I like the bold linework - but many have said I should avoid it. I guess I like it because I grew up looking at comic book art. Further, the bold linework seems to give the piece... POP. What say you?

If you want to see the painted version, go here (christian site):

www.jesusweptart.blogspot.com
horseman

Postby beautifulbay » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:21 am

Hello...This is very well done, great realism, but the line around it makes it look a little cut and paste and tends to hurt the realism that is so well done in the rest of the piece. However, every artist MUST do what they like to do and if you prefer your dark lines, then continue doing them. I think, however, it makes your image look like it is laid out flat on a piece of paper.
Did you use a reference picture for this? This picture looks very familiar to me....have you sold this before?? I'm trying to place why I know this one.....
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
CREATE~ Lose yourself in your own world ~ Just do it because you love it!
beautifulbay

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 am

You have great drawing skills. This is a wonderful drawing. I do not mind the dark linework on the inner part of the drawing. I actually think that the lines around the hands, though unrealistic, work well. However the dark line on the outside does give it a very artificial look. I did some playing around with this drawing and gave it a very dark background and that made a world of difference. I think that eliminating the white space would compliment your drawing style more than having the white background.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby DLKeur » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:05 am

Excellent rendition.
DLKeur

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:24 am

I love his face. Interestingly, in reference to the black outline my opinion is the opposite to Joe's this time. I think the outline of the hands takes away attention from his face, but the outline of the scarf is not. I would like to see Joe's dark background. Maybe that's the best solution, although the white space doesn't bother me thanks to the very strong outline.
With or without changes is a remarkable work.
Erika Takacs

Jesus wept - background or not

Postby horseman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:05 pm

Yes, I too would like to see what you speak of, Joe. I played around with your idea, but did not like the result. Working in B&W only, I tried a dark background, but it did not blend with the texture of the drawing. So, I made a textured background. Then it was just too busy and took away from the piece. Evidently, I went about it doing the wrong things.

I think I like the blank background. That way, we are not distracted from His eyes but by the hands that we pierced.
horseman

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:52 am

I swear I'm not trying to be different, but I like it as is.
The white background reminds me of harsh sunlight and
the black lines
ing a touch of harshness and modernity.
I think the two elements turn a Standard Jesus Pic into
something a little unexpectd. JC is beautifully drawn,
excellent job.
ehoeveler

Postby cottonstompconte » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:42 am

For me the bold lines have a flat effect, but what I find interesting about the drawing is that I get the feel that the hands are peeling back an upper layer of the drawing into another 3D type drawing underneath. I found that to be a very intersting feel.
cottonstompconte

Postby Halleck » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:43 am

love it love it love it love it love it LOOOOVE IIIIIIIIIIIITTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let us unleash what dwells within.
Halleck