A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Composition Question...

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Composition Question...

Postby Pooch » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:08 pm

I'm painting scenes from around the area I live in. So many beautiful spots. This one is right at the entrance to our development. Anyway, the question. Remember, it's a work in progress. My wife says that the bush closest to the foreground is distracting. I agree with her, sometimes, about my work. But not this time. I could be wrong. Is it? I don't want to change the scene on one opinion. The bush is therein real life, but that doesn't mean it can't go if need be. Opinions are welcome, please.
Attachments
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Composition Question...

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Good evening Joseph. The bushes on the left destroy the balance in the painting. Cut them down and remove the cut down limbs from the painting. Your wife is correct.
CarlOwen

Postby davideo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi Pooch. I sure do not agree with Carl or your wife, at all. Since they are there, and that is what you are seeing and painting, why on earth would you remove them? They look just fine to me. If you took them out there would be nothing left to " balance" but a lateral line of distant trees. Unless that was your objective, ( and apparently it was not), " stay the course"! As an old friend once reminded me," You are the artist".
davideo

Postby victorvector » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:21 pm

I don`t think there is a right or wrong answer to this.

The painting should draw the viewer into the picture.

This short video explains one artist`s approach to composition .

I hope it may be useful to someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwCKxa9GV9s
victorvector

Postby ambarsara » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 am

I do not know, but I think it has been very nice!
ambarsara

Postby yuli455 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:32 am

I liked it very much, it was super nice
yuli455

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 pm

.. so where did you end up doing Pooch? I personally, liked the asymmetry, it didn't appear imbalanced to me. But that's just me.
Would very much love to see the AFTER picture, if it is any different though.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Doodleng » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:30 pm

It is a lovely painting, but I do think a balancing element to the right of center would help. How about an egret - I think the white would also help balance out all the green and natural colors. The bottom line is that you are the one that needs to be pleased with it.
Doodleng

Postby eddieblz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:40 am

I say, "what the hell, Ballance isn't everything". The way I'm understanding this piece is that this is an actual place that you have painted and if I were to walk out to this area, this is what I would see. So in my opinion it's perfect the way it is and a quite lovely piece it is. But if it really bothers you, one suggestion, for your next piece. Go out to the area you want to paint and maybe take photos from different angles. Pick one of the photos. Now if you don't want to paint from the photo you picked go back out to the area and set up using the angle from that photo and paint your new piece. Personally I think the brush adds a character that makes it interesting to look at, with out this brush the piece would look kind of plain and boring. To prove my point, look at the discussion the the brush has sparked here.
PS don't cut down the brush, there is no better artist than Mother Nature so leave her canvas alone.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)