A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Latest Painting

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Latest Painting

Postby Pooch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Just finished. Maybe some more tweaking here and there, but I'm calling this done. Unless someone sees something amiss.
Attachments
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Latest Painting

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Feeling a little testy tonight. So I will keep my comments subdued. The painting is fuzzy. You see the lines you did in the rocks next to the cub? That kind of definition needs to be carried through to the bottom rocks. And, include some deep shadows between the rocks on the bottom to add to the illusion of depth in the painting. Since the cubs are behind mama, she needs a little more sharpening in the shape as well with the salmon accentuated just a little more with slightly brighter colors and well defined ultra small lines. The sizes of the dark up front trees need a few more deeper darks and slightly brighter lights to further push the illusion of depth that I think you are trying to present. Just suggestions that you should consider before you walk away from this painting.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 pm

I think the fuzziness is because of the surface. I'm using Arches 140 lb oil paper for the first time. It's supposed to be ready for paint, but I noticed that the paint almost looked like water colors as I was working. I think the paint possibly runs a bit when applied. Not sure. Next piece I do I'm going to give the paper a coat of Gesso. I think to get rid of it I may have to go over the edges in the foreground. I'm okay with the background because it helps with the feeling of distance. But I may have to go over the edges of the rocks in the foreground.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Response is pretty close to what I expected. It is a nice painting but could be so much better. Keep working and learning. That is what I do. Just push and grow until the last day.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Never going to stop learning. I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything. This paper, though, is very nice. It's archival, so it can be used for more than just quick studies. And technically it IS ready to paint on, but I think that depends on the effect the artist wants with his paint. I think that sharper images are going to call for some preping. But hey, it's inexpensive, easy to store, and I can take the whole pad of 12 sheets with me wherever I go. Can't carry 12 stretched canvases. The 16" x12" inch pad I'm using cost 18 dollars, so a little over a buck a sheet. I also got one for small studies. 9" x 12". Comes with 12 sheets also. $11.95.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Hum, nice practice material. Maybe if you use white glue such as Elmer's you could glue it to a solid surface such as luan plywood, the 1/8 inch stuff. Then you could apply gesso. Tip. We both know gesso is expensive. 47 years ago I prepared canvas with white acrylic primer paint and powered marble. None of it was that expensive compared to gesso. I made sure the canvas was fully covered. It took three coats. I know this works because the painting I did still hangs on my brother-in-law's living room wall. It looks the same as the day I painted it. Just an idea to turn a practice canvas into a painting that could be framed and accepted by a gallery to sell. Signing off for tonight. Have a good morning tomorrow because you should be asleep by now.
CarlOwen

Postby www-ksart-se » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:08 am

Nice painting. Cute cubs. There is one thing that is slightly bothering me tho. I think the salmon looks like some type of crawler fish. To me it needs a longer sharper chin/nose what ever you call it.
Or maby its just some breed I dont know about. No expert here. =)
www-ksart-se

Postby Pooch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:54 am

Yeah, the fish is going to need some more detailing. And there's hardening those edges a bit, too. So I suppose this isn't quite as done as I had thought.
Pooch