A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Oil painting techniques

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Oil painting techniques

Postby yying0303 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Oil painting techniques covers practical matters, but advice is backed by references to books and Internet sources. The underlying principles are not neglected, however, and may help you to understand and learn from the acknowledged masters.
So what's your techniques when drawing the painting?
yying0303

Re: Oil painting techniques

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 am

I see you just joined this site. Welcome aboard. Would love to see your work. By what I have read thus far, I assume you paint. Now to your question. For me, what technique I use is entirely dependent upon the subject matter or concept I am trying to display. A dramatic landscape could require pallet knives, stiff brushes, or both. A portrait usually requires small sable flats and rounds brushes for the skin tones, slightly larger brushes for the hair and stiffer larger brushes for the background. Again, for me, abstracts require pallet knives, brushes and sometimes squashed up paper towels. What ever the tools I use, it must be done fast, at least the section or sections I am working on. That approach seems to impart more vitality to the painting. If I determine that the background is as important as the form, I will lay in the background textures on the whole canvas and then directly paint the form or forms on the textured background drawing, defining and developing the forms as I go. Above all else, I do not have a preconceived idea of the finished product. I let the painting happen. The best technique educator I have discovered on this site is Richard Devine. He also, of course, does excellent work. My method of teaching different. If you have time or interest you can check out my many process posts in the different forums in this site. There are many fine artists here, so enjoy your searches.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery