A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Face Discussion

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Face Discussion

Postby zachariasbrewin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:57 am

I am currently running an experiment which involves simplifying abstracted faces, what do people think of the first outcome?
Attachments
zachariasbrewin

Re: Face Discussion

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 am

Well Zacharias, I think the unfinished background at the top reduces the visual quality of the work. It makes it appear unfinished. Your color choice combination makes it look rather sedate and on the bland side, could just be me in that observation as I prefer the bold and beautiful presentation. The face it self is confusing to me. I think it is a fish, but unsure because there are so many different facial abstractions in the art world. Since I have no skill in this area I am unable to offer suggestions for improvements or changes. Not sure even if my comments here help any. If these comments are of no value to you, let me know. I will remove them.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:21 pm

I don't mind the simplistic design.. I agree, it looks a bit fish-like and If that was what you were going for, its fine. If not, I think its because you made the head shape pointed-ellipsis verses, a natural human head shape (basic form would be a upside-down tear drop, I'd think). the colors, I don't mind them subdued, but pay attention to your color theory a bit.. the compliment to that yellow you used, would be more on the purple side, not pink... if that tone is on the orange side, then the background would go more towards the blues. Hope that helps.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:33 pm

Well, It kind of looks like the face of a fish. You know back in the 70's When I started. About the
only art work you seen other than the local galleries. Was in books. So you'ld see a lot of old master work. And the best kind of work of the latter 60's.
I guess the thing that got me into more than any thing else. Was the sculptors David Smith,
And a few others.
Today with the internet and all. Where you can see everything. You kind get the bigger picture of
the art world.
I don't know if I was 29 years old again. And I knew the big picture at that time of my life. I think art would have pass me by.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Subtle John, but not to subtle.
CarlOwen