A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Could anyone look at my gallery and comment suggestions?

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Could anyone look at my gallery and comment suggestions?

Postby ellieraej20 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:05 pm

I'm fairly new to drawing and would like some (positive) suggestions on my artwork. Feel free to rate or critique as well, but they are all basic sketches and beginner paintings. I'm not a professional at this point. Pretty soon I will add some larger finished pieces to my gallery, but for now I am just focusing on learning how to shade and things like that. A few of the drawings are references to tutorials, like how to shade a sphere. I work mostly with graphite pencil and acrylic paint, but pretty soon I will be exploring other mediums, like charcoal and oils.
ellieraej20

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Could anyone look at my gallery and comment suggestions?

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:27 am

Good morning Ellie.

Looks like I am the first to give you some positive suggestions, although you may not view them as positive.

First suggestion is to find a job. If you already have a job, try to promote or keep looking until you can find one that will support you and a little left over for art in the areas of buying materials, allowing enough time to study and to allow you to grow as a person.

Second suggestion is to keep your focus. You are not selling out or abandoning your art by having most of your life tied up with employment, bills, finding that special someone, etc. You know, just living.

Third suggestion is to temper your enthusiasm. Half baked ideas and no, or poor planning always leads to disaster. So, make a plan. A plan that allows for life changes while maintaining your goal.

Forth suggestion is to make your plan following this formula:
1. Identify your goal. It is not just an idea or a dream. It is an honest achievable goal. Know that all achievable goals are the pathway milestones to capturing your dream.
2. Research what is out there to achieve your goal.
3. Again identify a goal that you think you can achieve. Think in terms of immediate, intermediate and long term goals. Look up these terms in
the dictionary or an encyclopedia.
4. Develop a plan that can achieve these goals.
5. Implement the plan.
6. Evaluate the plan by a set time line, your choice of monthly, semiannually, or annually. I recommend annually.

Now about your art presentations. There is some raw talent there. You need training and education. They are not the same thing. Also, I recommend that you stay away from the what I call the 'Dark Side'. The potential buyer pool is very restricted and it opens you up to be used by dangerous persons. Hope this helps.
CarlOwen

Postby ellieraej20 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I do have some goals - one is to apply for college in the spring, and another is to get a job through the work-study program they have. I plan on going to school for an Arts Concentration offered by the college, and take several other classes that are required by the college that will give me the opportunity to choose another career path, if I find something I have a pension for and enjoy. I'm going to do a walk-in to apply for FAFSA and book grants, as well as apply for several scholarships. At the moment I don't have enough time available due to a program I'm involved in to even think about getting a job, so I have to wait until spring when the program is over. For the meantime, I'm going to focus on taking free online art classes and improving my skills, and learning the fundamentals of drawing. Right now I'm working on a piece that is a bit out of proportion due to differences in the image I am copying from and the drawing paper, but I am determined to finish it anyway and I'm not going to erase everything I've done to fix the proportions at this point. The shading's not finished either. Perspective is definitely something I need to take some lessons on. I also have made myself I full step-by-step plan to learn to draw, including free lessons that I've chosen on perspective, proportion, shading, figure and portrait drawing, and drawing textures, animals, etc. I just finished the first "set" of lessons I planned out for myself, so the next lesson is on how to copy from a graph. I will try doing a few of these before I move on to the next lesson "set" I designed.
Attachments
Graph Copy of Birth of Venus
ellieraej20

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Ah, most excellent my dear. Most excellent. You have identified your immediate goals. Very good. I now suggest you be wary of falling into the trap of focusing so much on your immediate goals that you loose sight of the dream. Also, as a practical suggestion, be wary of the $5,000.00 scholarship offer. It is a federal grant thing that pays the school but will bill you if you do not succeed. And almost every school throws that out as a leader to sign up for a degree that far exceeds the time frame and cost of that grant. Investigate that one before you sign any agreement or contract.

Again, as to your art. Study the learning technique of using the grid method on the canvas. Take some, I think they are called "selfies". Print them if you can. Do not place any of them online least you be embarrassed or blackmailed in the future. Start with the eyes. Do a couple of sketch books of them and only them. Then the nose, and then the mouth. Buy a couple of books on anatomy and study, copy the figures in it. By the time you are done with these exercises you should have between 15 to 20 books. Protect them and refer to them when you need to. Mine were stolen over two decades before you were born. If you fill 20 sketch books of 80 to 100 pages you will have developed the brain cells in the right side of your brain good enough to start to form a mental memory of form reference in your mind. That directs the so-called muscle memory thing that all athletes need to excel at their sport. And know this, learning makes actual physical changes at the cellular level in the brain. Also do not accept anything I tell you without researching what I am telling you. Do the same with others who would turn your head for their own purposes and their own gain at your personal expense. So, think and then do.
CarlOwen

Postby ellieraej20 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Ah! Thank you. That was some really great advice. The next stages I am going to start on is transferring with graphite, copying art using the triangulation method rather than grid drawing as well as some free art history/movement lessons that I found, then textures, then portrait and figure drawing, then animals, working with colored pencil, then charcoal, etc.. My favorite lesson so far is blending, because it's the smoothest method of drawing I've found. I finished the Birth of Venus copy and sprayed it with fixative to put in my portfolio. I will definitely work on taking some "selfies" and practicing portrait drawing that way, and work on filling up my sketchbook with drawings that are taken from real-life objects, like I've been doing in my smaller sketchbook.
Attachments
Graph Copy of Birth of Venus, Finished
ellieraej20

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:53 pm

So, in seven hours and fourteen minutes you finished this drawing, posted it and had time to compose your response. If you are on meth, stop it. Dump your boyfriend supplier and start drinking coffee until you detox. If you are on coffee, try some warm milk before you go to bed. But above all, slow down. You identified ten things you are either doing or going to do. Rome was not built in a day and neither is artistic skill. It takes time for the body to build brain cells from learning. But it is an enjoyable ride.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:44 pm

LOL, WHAT!!!!? I'm sure it's just youthful energy and a desire
to put one's self out there, so to speak. Remember, Brother Carl,
when we could stay up all night and then go to work. next day?
No, I was never like that, either but I had friends that were...LOL.
I like that this sketch has a sense of adventure and a willingness to
expand the Venus dialogue. Yes, it is good to take it slow...quality takes time.
ehoeveler

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Thank you for the leash tug Elizabeth. I remember when I had a 29 inch waist and weighed 182 pounds. I ran 2.2 miles in less than 9 minutes and dead carried another marine the required distance well under the required time line I partied every weekend, and only slept about two hours a day every weekend, then reported for work Monday morning and did it all over again. Just trying to temper exuberance with a little knowledge about how a person could place themselves at risk. But, thank you for the tug. I hope I have not scared her. Well maybe to much.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:38 pm

So you really Did live that dream? LOL!
Yep, them's were the days...
ehoeveler

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 pm

OK... I have come back a couple times to look at your work, wanting to give you some feedback that you can sink your teeth into, and be valuable. In short, you do have some raw talent... and to highlight a bit of the other feedbacks given, just needs to be refined and disciplined. Like any skill, to achieve mastery it must be honed and practiced.

It appears you have done many sketches from life and inanimate objects.... this is good. However, I challenge you to commit to studies, rather than one-off drawings. take the Bic Lighter for instance. Focus more on the object itself than the design inscribed on it... on one large sheet of paper or newsprint, sketch many versions of the lighter.
Standing balanced on its end.
Laying on its side - horizontal to you
different ends facing you... for perspective
Do focus drawing of elements of the lighter
Add in Shading and highlights to some... Make sure you pay attention to the basic structural form, before details are added - ALWAYS.

Do this to each of your objects. The pear, the Key, the books. all of them are decent initial sketches as they are, but your minds eye, if trained can translate what it sees to the art you create much more accurately with some patience and some practice. Don't Rush!

AS for moving onto paintings or other mediums...My advice is that no matter where you decide to go with a piece of art, the foundation must be solid. Many if not most professional fine artists sketch, and sketch and sketch their designs, characters and features before they commit them to a canvas or whatever.

Heres a great article to help with that perspective.http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/drawing-the-sensitivity-stage

Just a thought. Hope it helps.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ellieraej20 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank you, Jenn. I will work on practicing studies of objects from different angles, lighting, etc.

And no, Carl, I'm not on meth, and that's a detailed plan of what I want to learn in the next several months, not "10 things I want to do all at once." I posted that response because I have an itinerary of different things to learn lined up in order, that I modded out the lesson plan from "DrawSpace" with lessons that are actually free rather than ones you have to pay for. And I posted it in 7 hours because it took me about 7 hours of dedicated time to draw it, during the day mind you, and because I don't have a lot else to do in my free time because I don't do things like, say, drugs. And I type fast.
ellieraej20

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Good for you. Now, moving on. Read all the above again, slow down and practice. Being an artist in the art world is a tough business at best and shall suck your heart and dreams out of your body at worst. Know I am not judging you, I am advising you that you are in for a hard road in an unforgiving and fickle business. Pay attention to anatomy and show your finished work from time to time. Would love to keep checking in. You got spunk Kid. Use it as you wish, not as you are told.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:08 pm

Nicely put Carl. :)

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby ellieraej20 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:29 pm

I am not looking for profit at this point as much as I am just trying to gain skills and experience in traditional drawing. I can always find work, I have enough experience in quality assurance testing to get a job that pays well and offers career opportunities, but right now there are other things that take precedence over working that I have to work on first. I would eventually like to end up somewhere in like... design, animation, or something like that, but again I can decide what I want to do when I have more experience drawing things realistically. I'm also not trying to be perfect and I draw fairly quickly, but I would like some general suggestions on shading, perspective, figure drawing, and things like that (I appreciate the suggestions I've gotten so far), because those are the skills I am working on at this point. But I can see why you would say lay off the drugs, because I do make a lot of progress on a drawing very fast. For example, here is another copy I'm working on, but using the triangulation method instead of the graph method. It's meant for practice, not perfection, but you can see how I can't get the position of the chest exactly right (it's obvious that there are parts that aren't finished as well, but the chest is the only thing that I can't seem to fix) and the shading isn't perfect:
Attachments
Michael-Angelo Triangulation Copy - Sistine Chapels
ellieraej20

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:00 pm

I worked with w/ a Comic book artist a number of years ago, getting him started submitting work to companies... and the biggest thing he got in feedback initially was: Pay attention to the anatomy, to the details of the foundation shapes. It doesn't matter how good your final lines are, or your coloration if your anatomical structure doesn't sell what the character (in this case) is trying to do. So, we took that time, to not focus on submission but really work on the anatomy... He studied every anatomical book he could find... from re-creating studies from classical artists, to Medical books to studying in live figure drawings or using photos.. the importance of that was, not to rush to perfection or in many a case, completion. Drawing or painting fast only is beneficial if the quality of the end result does not suffer in the process of being fast. I would not worry about racing to the finish line so much as to really put a conscious effort on what your are trying to accomplish...

This illustration for instance - To help you 'see' the anatomical imbalances, you need to train your eye to know proportions. visit, the transcriptions of Da Vinci's Vitruvian man, which breaks down mathematically the proportions of a man. I found a fairly simple but otherwise OK video that describes proportion and how to map it in your drawing .. check it out... https://youtu.be/Fmx2OXhTZUI Other Anatomy books for artists do as well. For Poses like this, where the torso is skewed, look for references that demonstrate the flow of motion in the figure's frame. In general, be patient and repeat, repeat, repeat. It will come along, just practice and repeat. Hope that helps some. :)

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Thank you Jennifer. Ellie, we are done. I wish you well, I wish you happy.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:27 pm

More… sorry, but had some more to throw out there, that may help on a technical level…
Try this…
In this illustration – you are re-creating Adam from Michaelangelo’s Sistine Fresco “Creation of Man”.
Bring this image up, along with your drawing – at the same time.
Get a piece of tracing paper and overlay it on top of your drawing. With a pencil, start analyzing (not sketching) the differences in notations, on the tracing paper.. Such as; look at the bent leg… notate on the tracing paper – with a circle, where the knee of that bent leg should be in relation to the knee of the straight leg.. With an oval, notate the width and position (direction) of the hips, do the same with the shoulders. Notate the curvature of the spine with a curved line.. continue doing this, until you have made all the notations of differences and thus reframed the form for your drawing. the circles are were the joints are and the straight / curved lines are for the spine and long bones... etc...
Place another layer of tracing paper over the first. Remove the original. Start sketching the human form with the newly mapped frame, and compare with the Original Adam. Is it closer? Repeat this type of exercise until your mind sees the placement and proportions as they are and as they Should be.
Hope this helps.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby ellieraej20 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:04 am

Thank you. I watched the video. I have carbon tracing paper somewhere but I have to find it. I think that would be the best way to fix the drawing.
ellieraej20

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Not CARBON .. just tracing paper... something that you can see through.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam