A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

How do you hold your pencil, when drawing.

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you hold your pencil, when drawing.

Postby Jwalk » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:33 pm

For the start and the longest time I always would draw with my bottom of my hand the pinkie area touching the page. I always knew about other artist and how they would hold the pencil far back so none of their hand was touching and always thought that was odd.

An artist I respected and admired about a few years ago told me I must hold it far back , I just must. So a few years ago I started to try it and at first it was very hard and my lines were all wobbly. But I have persisted and will never go back I love the delicateness you can achieve.
Jwalk

Re: How do you hold your pencil, when drawing.

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Post some of your work so we can see the product you are talking about so we can talk about different artist's techniques of production. Otherwise I can only see this as vailed attempt at circumventing advertising costs to attract people to your community art site. What say you to my comments?
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:20 pm

Gotta say, I'm asking the same thing...site looks like a Big Corp. homepage...ew. E
ehoeveler

Postby Artsupplies » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:46 am

Agree with CarlOwen show some of your work. I think it depends on every artist's choice and habits.One can be comfortable and other would not.
Artsupplies

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am

I thank the supports of my comment. If no response from the original poster, this site will be reported as circumventing payment for advertising on this site. The clock is now ticking. So, I ask are you sharing a website for viewing or advertising it. I am really confused with this post.
CarlOwen

Postby eddieblz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:11 pm

With my hand.............................. :twisted:
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Way to funny Eddie. Thanks for bringing some levity into this post. Wish I had thought of that instead of being confrontational. So, I'm thinking I should stand down and do a little thinking here. However, I would really like to see some work done by this artist.
CarlOwen

Postby eddieblz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Just trying to keep it real Carl. Honestly when I first saw this thread I went to check the OP's gallery. When I didn't see one I couldn't take the thread seriously nor will I click on any link that posted.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Singular » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:43 pm

I wouldn't sweat it Carl. If he doesn't reply, he doesn't reply. No worries.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:07 pm

Thanks both of you. Sometimes I forget I am no longer the boss I once was and that people always did what I told them to do. While retirement is kind of nice,in some areas it also sucks.
CarlOwen

Postby Jwalk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:20 am

CarlOwen wrote:Post some of your work so we can see the product you are talking about so we can talk about different artist's techniques of production. Otherwise I can only see this as vailed attempt at circumventing advertising costs to attract people to your community art site. What say you to my comments?

Whatever ,,, first of all heres a reply you gave to a picture I posted on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:44 pm

by CarlOwen » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:42 pm
Once you are finished with the 6b pencil you have to go to a charcoal pencil to darken the areas that need darkened to complete the proper shading. It can be difficult if you have put to much 6b graphite in that darkened area. Then with a clean erasure each time it touches the paper, erase the areas you want highlighted. If you want it hard and dramatic do not blend light and dark areas. If you want a more form filled soft look, use your little finger. And constantly wash that finger with a damp paper towel so your finger will dry faster. If you touch the paper with a wet finger you are screwed. There is no way to fix that mistake. I find stubbles useless as you spend to much time shaving them and after the first stroke you have the mixed pressure of darks problems that you did not want to see.

I found a much better way. Use sepia, conte and charcoal pencils to start with. Start with the lighter red color and then move to the darker brown color then to the charcoal. Again, use the erasure to lighten areas. If you use a white pencil for highlights you cannot apply a fixative. The white pencil shading disappears with the use of fixative. I like using fixative because of the darkening of the color values. Knowing that, I make sure that my erasures are complete in the areas I want to be extremely light. Without a fixative, there is always the danger the finished product will be damaged, even under glass or clear plastic. Hope this helps. By the way this is not a purist artist method and many art snobs will sneer at what I have said. However, it is the strength of the visual presentation that really counts, at least in my mind.

Secondly I dont necessarily agree with the supposition that you need to have artwork to assess whether or not a way of holding your pencil is valid for a topic. I could go on and on about the various approaches of how holding a pencil has merit and doesn't. In my years of art school there was always a great divide with the close up holders and the people who hold it back . Simple as that. I think its a very valid topic.

Thirldy I am only following the rules and NEVER have I spammed I do participate in many forums and have a excellent code of being sincere and never do I spam. I feel your comment is a little crass and a bit presumptuous. Because I personally run a business , Have a very nice website and have been an artist my whole life. geez.

Ironically I just posted another pic of my work before I read this . Ridiculous.

Well that turned me off a bit. I wont be back here for a while. Guys there is a multitude of respectable artist forums. Don't be to full of yourselves.
Jwalk

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:32 am

Thank you for responding and chewing me out. You are correct. Unfortunately, from time to time I need that. I apologize.
CarlOwen

Postby Jwalk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:51 am

For fun I just googled this topic and I found many searches. To see the relevance of this which I already knew was of extreme importance. Am very surprised that this whole community didn't know what I was talking about. But you know what they say if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything.

Here's a you tube video to just highlight the various ways. at 46 mins extended overhand is what I was saying I have switched to and many artist I know only draw like that. In this video he say just for shading, as stated previously I only draw like that now. Once in my life drawing class years and years ago we had someone from a art college some where for the states and he swore up and down vehemently to actually attach a stick about 2 feet to extend yourself even further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXPzwGkL8zY

Carl I begrudgingly accept your apology but I do have a stain on this forum now. You did stir the crowd but every one else just jumped on too, even the other moderator that I was growing to like.I think she even commented on my stuff. Carl I commented on your work I do like it, and appreciated your comments.

I leave this with an :(
Jwalk

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:57 pm

You know what confused me? It was your http://muralform.com link. It looks like a professional advertisement. I could not find any of your work there. Over the last 6 months I have been identifying free loader advertisers using up bandwidth and the cost of that bandwidth from this site. That link is what caused me to make an error of judgement in your case. That, and when I checked your profile page you had no pictures posted. In the last six months of identifying free loaders that is the tell, tell sign that they have just logged on to advertise. At least one picture on your profile page would have stopped me instantly from proceeding. Another act on your part would have made me not to investigate at all. It is that some sort of explanation of your website link or description of how to find your work there would have also stopped me. I do know about what I call 'long distant drawing'. Personally I don't care for it. Just not intimate enough for me. Personal opinion.

I do not believe you have a stain on this forum. You had the strength, will and righteous indignition to defend yourself. You are exonerated. And, know this, no one gets out of this world without a few scars just from living and no one gets out of this world alive. I have apologized and I sincerely meant that apology. I am moving on now. I have made many mistakes in life, but the one I have not made and shall never make is to be a whipping boy because of any of those past mistakes. I hope when you cool down that we can again exchange ideas and critiques about works of art as I value your comments.
CarlOwen