A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Sky

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Sky

Postby yoli » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:19 am

Hello, this painting is my attempt to imitate "Sir Carl's" skies. :|
The entire first layer of color for the painting was done with pastels then an overlay of acrylics.

Yolanda
Attachments
yoli

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Sky

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:29 am

Why thank you Yolanda for honoring me as such. Been away a few days trying to get my password re-established. Be sure to save you passwords somewhere and that they are current. I got a little sloppy with that. Windows 10 will wipe out passwords on many accounts whenever it uploads periodic security changes. Just a heads up.

Now to the painting. Very interesting use of pinks, greys, yellows. Very dramatic. I like it. Be sure to look at actual sunsets with the surgeon's eye. Look at each component and how colors lay over colors. Visually dissect what you see. Some shapes are faint. Some are in your face and all overlay each other. Just a suggestion. Happy exploring!
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:11 pm

Agree with my learned colleague to a point - it is about stylization, right? I think the colors stand together nicely -
I will say one thing ... the big white cloud needs an inner glow and, just me, the squiggles inside detract from your nice
color-block technique. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby yoli » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:24 pm

Thank you both! I will work on it!

Yolanda
yoli

Postby yoli » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:02 am

Hello ! made some more adjustments.

Yolanda
Attachments
yoli

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:45 pm

!!!!!!!!!! What happened to the other sky? OOhhhhhhhhh, I'm crying, Yoli!
The big white cloud looks really nice but what about that other sky!!!!?
Your water does look beautiful - has a very lovely glow.
OK. I'm recovered, now. Since you have made a color change (Lord knows I can't point a finger at you for that!),
lemme suggest that you weave some deep orange/purp/reds into the area around the buildings...? Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby yoli » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:14 pm

LOL! The other sky is still there E. I was trying to take the photo so you could see more of the added color of the white cloud. It made
the picture look darker than it really is. I will also try the suggestion around the buildings as well.

Yoli
yoli

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:44 pm

In that case, don't add anything - the original sky is uber, imho but I'm glad you toned down the squigs. I Love that water! E
ehoeveler

Postby mikewheeler » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm

To me the sun just stands out as cartoonish? Not sure how to describe it, but look at a lot of sunsets and usually the sun itself is a white with the glow around it being that beautiful orange, yellow, red, pink, etc. Now don't get me wrong there are great painters that used an orange sun (Monet comes to mind in "Impression Sunrise"), but most of those are seen as foggy skies that all that comes through is the color. In this case it looks like the sun isn't being blocked by anything so it just stands out.

I do love the composition, other colors, and overall painting. I just wanted to give my feedback on sunsets. I've done a lot of them and made a lot of mistakes with them (and I'm sure I'll make more LOL)

Mike
mikewheeler

Postby Jwalk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:42 pm

I really liked the way the first pic looked whether it was the way the picture was taken or whatever. It looked very captivating. The one that's more blue sort of looks more ordinary.
Jwalk

Postby apelican » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:35 pm

I love the first one. It captured the feeling of sunset, whereas the new one is missing the dream aspect.
Nicely done though...
apelican

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury