A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

'After the Storm' - Hi I'm new to the site

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

'After the Storm' - Hi I'm new to the site

Postby Debi of Langley » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi, First of all the talent and artwork on this site is AMAZING!!

I'm so excited that I found a place where I can get some constructive criticism and advice! I want to learn so bring on criticism but also let me know if I've done anything rightish. I have no formal art education other than some adult evening classes. I've done maybe a dozen paintings mostly people. I hope one day one of my paintings will be shown at the top of the site for a competition :wink:

This oil painting 'After the Storm' is my first attempt at landscape. I've been working on it for a year or so on and off (mostly off). It's been like a long slow and painful birth :shock: . I've wanted to give up many times. All I can see are the things bothering me now and I need some fresh eyes and advice. I want to finish it already!

It's from my imagination so I've been struggling with composition, pallet, tones (shadows - I was going for early morning).

- the church (Perspective? something doesn't jive??); (shape -don't like it but too hard to make a drastic change now); (too white? more yellow ochre glaze maybe? and the side should have more shadow ya?); windows[u] - size and shape? ; [u]Door .. Ugh I don't even know anymore! :( Is it even salvageable? at first it was a funky shape, a little bowed and I didn't have any windows or door (inspired by a Lauren Harris painting of a white building on a beach) because the trees don't have detail, I wanted it very simple.

_ Mountains?

- white cloud - too white, need some ochre?? should the dark clouds to the right be darker?

- Water - background and foreground?

Yet...oddly I think it's kind of coming together somehow...maybe... :roll: could maybe possibly???

Would really really appreciate help with this baby, it's a gift for my son...who's been through a lot.
Attachments
Debi of Langley

Re: 'After the Storm' - Hi I'm new to the site

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Welcome, Debi! I personally think that you don't need to do anything else. Your style shows power, peace and good energy. The colors and brushwork harken back to all the wonderful classic elements but still retain your own freshness. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: 'After the Storm' - Hi I'm new to the site

Postby Debi of Langley » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:36 am

Thanks for your response.
Debi of Langley