A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Here's my illustrations and comicking

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

Here's my illustrations and comicking

Postby leonprimrose » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Hey! This is my first time here. I was really looking for somewhere to go to find an honest judge of my work. I feel bad asking people for coming off as compliment fishing and I try to avoid that as much as possible.

http://3wishes.smackjeeves.com

There's a link to my comic above and below is a link to my portfolio hub.

http://leonprimrose.wordpress.com

and here are two recent images that I've done. One a quick concept of one of the main characters of the webcomic and the other is a finished panel several months ahead of where the comic is at currently. Where I'm working right now (I keep myself about 3 months ahead)

ImageImage

Thank you so much, in advance :)
leonprimrose

Re: Here's my illustrations and comicking

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi, John and Welcome! I like your clean, adeptly drawn comic figures. Thank You for posting, E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby leonprimrose » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:07 pm

ehoeveler wrote:Hi, John and Welcome! I like your clean, adeptly drawn comic figures. Thank You for posting, E

Thank you very much :) I've been looking for an art and/or illustrative forum to call home online for a while now. Thank you for the warm welcome!
leonprimrose

Postby Symphoneus » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:47 am

leonprimrose,
I'm very happy to see you here!
I intend on writing my own comic, and so it is quite exciting for me to see another person who has gone so much further in this goal

In looking through your comic, it seems like you've been advancing in both your artistic technique, and the depth of your story writing.
I like the direction your comic is currently headed in.

Your overall style is also very appealing.
I am currently working on developing my own style, and in looking through your comic, I felt something "inspiring", so thank you!
The fate of men, might weigh on me,
But I take that sin quite well,
Only cold wins, in the dark it seems,
But I hear there's warmth in hell...
(8p)
Symphoneus

Postby eddieblz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:49 am

Your going to like it here. The critique's are insightful, mature and will help you to improve your art. Interesting concept your 3 wish series.
Eddie
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi John, Great job on gettin your comic out there! Nice presentation.. .I really like that you have a good sketch foundation to your characters (framework). Seeing roughs like this, are great in ensuring your composition, pose, and proportions.
In your color work.. what program are you using for this? Its not that its bad, just would like to see some highlights and shadows or color/shade variants in them. (that is unless the color look is part of the established style you are wanting).

All in all these are great! Keep em up. :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby leonprimrose » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 am

Thank all of you for the kind responses :) I think I AM going to like it here

jenn_iam wrote:Hi John, Great job on gettin your comic out there! Nice presentation.. .I really like that you have a good sketch foundation to your characters (framework). Seeing roughs like this, are great in ensuring your composition, pose, and proportions.
In your color work.. what program are you using for this? Its not that its bad, just would like to see some highlights and shadows or color/shade variants in them. (that is unless the color look is part of the established style you are wanting).

All in all these are great! Keep em up. :)
I use photoshop CS5 for everything from sketch to ink to coloring. There was a large section of the comic that I did full shading and highlights but I decided to try and cut it out as part of the style. The shading took so long, in part because I'm not completely comfortable with using light but also because of time. I also felt my style was focused on line over shade so I figured I could put more detail into each character's line-work as I developed more and more. Also I wanted to start doing more backgrounds and environments than my early cop-out back in 2012 lol I even moved from a method of highlighting hair that involved following the grain and showing the jaggedness of it but moved to a more simplified version. Personally, I was against it at first but I'd been tinkering around for a while and decided why not and gave it a shot and liked how it looked. I thought it brought out the line work a little more. That's just me though lol I try not to hold my own opinion of my work as law :P I'm too biased. Check through the comic if you haven't to take a peek at the different methods I've used and please, I would love to hear any thoughts you might have on the future of my work :) Even if it doesn't end up incorporated I would definitely try it out. I try to improve something every time I sit down to draw the characters
leonprimrose

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Excellent... its good that you are experimenting as you develop your comic for sure!

How about adding complex line work in areas to give the appearance of shadow rather than a change of color.. this could be clusters of paralell very thin lines - very close together or cross-hatching methods.. or dots (pointalism) as options to play with.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby leonprimrose » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:30 pm

jenn_iam wrote:Excellent... its good that you are experimenting as you develop your comic for sure!

How about adding complex line work in areas to give the appearance of shadow rather than a change of color.. this could be clusters of paralell very thin lines - very close together or cross-hatching methods.. or dots (pointalism) as options to play with.

I've considered crosshatch and may give it a shot sometime. I've also been toying with the idea of the darker side having thicker lines. Another one is the classic way of adding some of the darker shadows just straight up in black. That one I've done on some other things and I do feel like it suits me. Don't really know why I haven't put it in yet. I think that may be my next venture. I'll continue messing with it :) I do like pointalism but I don't think I'm willing to do that on every panel XD Most of my experimentation is done right in the comic so I try to not rapidfire different methods. I try to run one until I'm comfortable with it before I decide whether or not I like it. Gives some experience and something specific to practice it on. (I have a hard time coming up with individual poses! lol)
leonprimrose

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Ooh.. adding a harsh constrast like the Black, will add dramatics totally.. kind of reminescent of Frank Millers style when he Graphic novels.

the indivdual poses,... there are some great books out there of both drawn as well as photo poses for artists.. geared soley for the poses alone... I think one is called Dynamic poses, do searches on Amazon or something.. I have a few .. but I also rifle through Magazines and clip interesting poses and attribute picture of the people imaged and keep them in a scrap type book so i have a collection of life references...

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby leonprimrose » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 pm

I keep some in my sketchbooks but it would probably be a good idea to devote an entire sketchbook journal to poses and keep it with me :) Good idea! I've been meaning to get a book on it for a while actually lol I just never bothered because of the amount of online resources. That and money. Usually those books are expensive as hell! And I've been spending what I have on books on Go to study xD Gotten a bit obsessed about that game. All I do anymore is art and go! I don't even know what else there is to do anymore! lol
leonprimrose

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:59 pm

to get you started, you could also use a simple 3" Binder... and tape you cut-outs to construction paper, or something stiffer than line art.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby rhknigh » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 am

I like this style. Great for a comic character. Hope you show more.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby leonprimrose » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:31 pm

jenn_iam wrote:to get you started, you could also use a simple 3" Binder... and tape you cut-outs to construction paper, or something stiffer than line art.

I like that idea :) thank you and it'll be cheap and colorful and personalized

rhknigh wrote:I like this style. Great for a comic character. Hope you show more.

Thank you very much :) Will do! And 3 Wishes updates every Monday as well
leonprimrose

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Yep - and importantly... expandable... LOL... i use Binders and Scrapbooks... the key for me, is that I can add pages... :)

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Return to Be Gentle