A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

A couple of my oils and watercolours :)

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

A couple of my oils and watercolours :)

Postby DonalCarr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:14 am

thames.jpg
Hi guys, this is my first post here so hello everyone :)

Id really welcome some honest feed back be as brutal as possible - I am really interested in the weak points of them- what you would change if you could - I struggle mostly with composition- Ive read articles and books but seem stuck in a formula, sometimes my gut feeling is they can be a bit hard on the eyes visually ( if that makes sense ) I admire painters like Edward Seago and David Curtis- they seem to nail it for me. Anyways thanks for taking the time to have a look - and seriously if you have a suggestion please dont worry about offending. I am craving some honest clarity on them.
DonalCarr

Re: A couple of my oils and watercolours :)

Postby Phil_B » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 am

i can't really see too much wrong with either of these paintings but saying that I'm not really an absolute expert on this style of painting. I'll give it a go though. if these were done from photographs then it would be easier if those were posted up so i can make a better judgement.

the bottom painting captures the typical British scene very well, a damp and miserable day. very difficult to determine the perspective on this one. that sign on the left road looks like it's floating in the air above the road. make the poles a tad darker? are the tree branches going behind that sign or in front? the tree looks like it's in front so those thin branches should be brought forward in front of the sign.

top painting has that impressionism feel to it. i like the way you have painted the sky. I'm trying to figure out what/where the yellow reflection is for, if it's the building behind the wheel, then it shouldn't be because it looks further away from the water and the houses in-front would block that reflection at the bottom near the wall??? if it's sunlight then you might want to spread it wider but keep the colour toned down.

if you want more depth in the top painting make some areas darker, gives it more contrast. every time i look at the painting my focus tends to shift towards the wheel.

remember, if someone feels it's a bit hard on the eyes for them, tell them to take a few steps back from the painting, they will more than likely see everything blend together. no one should ever look at a painting close up other wise it would just look crap. IMO.

to help with perspective, vertical and horizontal lines are important. use those lines to help measure the distance and size with everything.
Phil_B

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby DonalCarr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 am

Ahhh man THANK YOU!!
Its amazing when you stare at something for so long you just miss things! I've fixed both paintings up as below - I see exactly what your saying! I haven't gone over board with the wheel as the paints on pretty heavy now and virtual unworkable- I scrapped the phantom reflection and livened up the sky a tad - on the Liverpool one- Ive darkened the sign stands and placed those branches in front! Seriously grateful! More than what I was hoping for ! Many thanks for taking the time and putting that together , extremely thorough and considered!
DonalCarr

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Phil, thank you for your skills of observation - I do agree
about 'standing back' from a picture.
Donal, I like the first and Love the second. Keep up the
good work. Thanks, Ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby Phil_B » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

oh wow. yes, much better Donal. enhancing the sky has clearly added more atmosphere to the painting. well done.
Phil_B

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Very Jazzed up! Agree with Phil. Thanks, E
ehoeveler

Postby nigelartist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 am

I like both of these paintings. For their composition and rendering. Excellent. The city roads scene reminds me of a Pissaro type scene. The bridge and river scene is Monet-esque in its Impressionistic style.

Both images are better viewed at a distance and become more 'real'.

Both excellent artworks.

Well done.
Nigel Goodwin:Artist/poet/songwriter/photographer - http://nigelgoodwin.crevado.com
nigelartist