A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Need a critique

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Need a critique

Postby kellydangerfield » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:20 pm

Hello,

I have just finished this oil painting titled "Late Summer Velvet" and would love a critique. I am a self-taught artist so please don't hesitate to be completely honest. I know I have a lot to learn and I feel I learn the most from other artists.

Thanks,
Kelly Dangerfield

http://www.kellydangerfield.com
kellydangerfield

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:23 pm

Beautiful. Having seen you other works on your page, this one doesn't seem as "real". It looks slightly surreal, especially the background - and I love it! Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby DLKeur » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Varnish it. It's good. I agree with Erika. It's almost as if we're seeing through the veil of mystic aura. I want to say one thing though, those antlers -- the velvet. DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH A FUZZY MOLECULE. THEY ARE PERFECT.
DLKeur

Postby kellydangerfield » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:36 pm

Thanks. I've recently been trying to loosen up a little bit especially in the background to help
ing the eye to the focal point of the painting. I've had a lot of people describe my paintings as photorealism and that's not really what I'm going for. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
kellydangerfield

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 pm

I think you're right, Kelly. The realistic fish are great, but this style is even better. Go for it! Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Kelly, Very nice work. Are those Birch trees I see in the background? I thought they all had the black lines of bark on them. Montana is a beautiful state. A painter could lose thierseft there. What is the size of this painting?
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby kellydangerfield » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:05 pm

The trees are actually lodgepole pines that were burnt in a fire a few years back. Kind of hard to depict but I tried to simplify the background as much as possible.

The painting is 16 inches X 20 inches.
kellydangerfield

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:54 pm

Kelly, the painting is beautiful and I agree with DL, don't touch
a fuzzy molecule on those gorgeous antlers!
Just one thing; if your forest is partially burnt, the trees should
look somewhat fire-damaged. I know it's a hard thing to depict
but I know you can do it!
Right now you have fallen trees, yes, but they look like a bunch
of trees ready for the saw mill.
Ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby CameleonQc » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:07 pm

I love it! It is beautifully done. In fact, I like it much better than the fish paintings because of the setting (no offense meant). The fishes themselves are great, but they look as if they were floating on the surface of the water on their sides. However, the setting in this one talks to me much more... and yes, the antlers are fantastic the way they are now! :)
Johanne Brunet
Wearable Art Jewellery
CameleonQc

Postby kellydangerfield » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:08 pm

ehoeveler: Thanks for the input on the trees. I will think about making some changes to them. I agree that the average viewer wouldn't derive that this is a burnt forest without me telling them. I would like that to be obvious to the viewer, so I'll see what I can do.

CameleonQc: Thanks for the kind words. I live in an area where fly-fishing is very popular; almost like a religion to some. The fish paintings are meant to portray a fish being lifted slightly out of the water after being caught by a fisherman, though I have removed any sign of human interaction to keep the painting more "wild". Hence, the floating above water look. But, I definitely see where you're coming from. These paintings have been very popular in my area as is but do you think I should consider including a fisherman's hands holding the fish above the water?

Please keep the input coming. Everyone's viewpoints are greatly appreciated. I will definitely be posting more paintings as I finish them.
kellydangerfield