A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

I need some suggestions! Please help!!

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

I need some suggestions! Please help!!

Postby alilspunsugar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:06 pm

I finished my tiger easily but my elephant has been difficult. I have already painted over most of it many times, now u just need some suggestions as to what to do with the ear mostly to wrap it up. The tiger is using Auburn University colors and the elephant with the University of Alabama colors. Please send your suggestions! I have painters block!!
Attachments
8x10 acrylic on flat canvas
8x10 acrylic on flat canvas
alilspunsugar

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: I need some suggestions! Please help!!

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

OK, Breathe, just Breathe. Tiger looking great.
What do you think about putting in a lighter version
(and larger, naturally) of the elephant's nose pattern in
the ear? Also, look at a photo-realistic image of an
Elephant's ear once again - see what comes to you!
I hate to tell you what to paint - I'd rather you just stop,
walk around the block, watch a good movie or have dinner
with a friend. That way, you'll be able to relax and an
'elephant's ton' of ideas will come! Good Luck, E.
ehoeveler

Postby alilspunsugar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 am

I actually had switched to making the little personalized gifts etc. that I make to sell with my paintings just for that reason. My husband thinks that no matter what I decide to do with the ear that I should darken the background. Do you think that's a good idea? I'm not sure what color to use since I can't use black since it is my outlining color and any other color wouldn't be a school color... I don't know why this one has been so difficult for me, my lion and tiger just flowed out as to how it was suppose to be but this elephant has been trouble. I already don't like the fact that the tusk and trunk are so small compared to what they should be ratio wise was the begining of the trouble...
alilspunsugar

Postby Amigone » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm not really a color theorist but why not check out the color wheel and pick the opposite of whatever your major color is for the background of the elephant? That will make the colors pop.

Here's a handy website tool. It's for builiding websites but the theory is sound.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Amigone

Postby johncee » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:39 am

I agree with the suggestion about the interaction of other colours which should bring it to life.
You could try some ultramarine blue or a light purplish blue as well as an an emerald green which should work nicely. I am referring to the gray triangular spaces in the tiger. You have done it as a modern style of presentation, so you can get away with unatural colours. The interaction by the surrounding gray too will make your blue and green appear purer and richer. Copy your tiger on paper and paint it in beforehand and see if it works - you have to be an experimentor and explorer, and in consequence, you will make new discoveries - that is guaranteed.
johncee

Postby Amigone » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 am

Do you have any graphic design programs? Like photshop or illustrator? You can play around with color and composition in those before commiting to a picture.

They can get sort of pricy but gimp and paint.net are free. I think if you are unsure then playing around in those programs could help.
Amigone

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 pm

To Johncee and Amigone - Super advice on
all counts!
ehoeveler